Metal Shed\Coop ordered + Texas

Pics
Two years 4 months, finally decided to clean the floor out. Four bolts and the front came right off. So happy the tractor fit too. :)

Could of gone longer but but a hen just suffered ovarian carcinoma. Thought it was Merricks or something else.

35 bags of 2cu Texas hardwood mulch. Same as what was used before. Will add some more as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_082648913.jpg
    IMG_20230909_082648913.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230909_114329527.jpg
    IMG_20230909_114329527.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 10
Can I ask where you got the shed? I love your customizations to it!
Thank you Sef.
Here in Texas, they are all over the place with those metal buildings you can order. The actual manufacture is Safeguard metal buildings. You can go to https://www.prostructures.net/ and design your own. This coop was just a small carport with sides partially added. The 2" of closed cell foam is a must here in Texas for metal enclosure. Unless you want to cook them :lau

I need to create an article on this build and experience. Lot's of great information was gathered from this website.

Last edited:
Thank you Sef.
Here in Texas, they are all over the place with those metal buildings you can order. The actual manufacture is Safeguard metal buildings. You can go to https://www.prostructures.net/ and design your own. This coop was just a small carport with sides partially added. The 2" of closed cell foam is a must here in Texas for metal enclosure. Unless you want to cook them :lau

I need to create an article on this build and experience. Lot's of great information was gathered from this website.
Up here, so close to so many Amish communities, wooden built sheds are much more commonplace. I like the look of metal and bet it will last you a long long time!

Synopsis

🐔 Introducing Our Coop: A Model of Comfort and Health for Happy Chickens! 🐔
Hey everyone! I'm excited to share some details about the coop setup I've created for my chickens. I've put a lot of thought and effort into making it a comfortable and healthy space for them, and I'm thrilled with how it's turned out!
🌿 Design Features:
  • Size and Capacity: Our coop measures 20x12 feet and can comfortably accommodate approximately 60 birds, with 4 square feet per bird. This spacious setup allows our chickens plenty of room to move around and thrive.
  • Open Air Concept: The coop features hardware cloth walls on the south side and the door, framed with wood decking boards for strength and light weight. The entire south side is bolted on with 4 bolts and a few screws, allowing for easy removal of the wall for cleaning. This design ensures excellent airflow while maintaining security.
  • Fold-Up Roosts: Large roosts on the East and West walls are suspended with chain and can be folded up, providing flexibility for cleaning and maintenance. Since the roosts fold up, the tractor can easily scoop out the floor.
  • Automatic Run-Chicken Door: Our coop is equipped with an automatic run-chicken giant door mounted on the door itself, allowing our chickens to free-range during the day while keeping them safe from predators.
  • Cooling Strategies: To keep our chickens cool during hot weather. The South wall and sides are shaded with 90 percent shade cloth. Inside we have a 24" fan with three misters. The misting system is pre-filtered by a 5-micron Dual Stage Water Filter for Misting & Fogging Systems, reducing the need for frequent misting tip replacements. Clean water pans are provided for the chickens to stand in and cool off. Additionally, an ice chest with four nipples provides cold water for drinking, with a daily frozen water jug inside to maintain cold temperatures.
  • Heating Strategies: On occasion in South Texas we get a hard freeze. While not necessarily needed for full grown chickens. A heat lamp is suspended above each roost with chain. A bucket heater is placed inside the ice chest to prevent the water nipples from freezing.
  • Temperature Control: We currently use a programable temperature sensor that controls two outlets. One outlet activating when the temperature is below the set point and the other when the temperature is above the set point, with a 2-degree variance before switching. The coop heating & cooling is items are exchanged each Spring & Fall. Totes store the off season equipment while not in use.
  • Future Plans: The misters are currently manually controlled due to Texas humidity. Over 30~40% humidity with misters running does not cool well and causes to much moisture inside the coop. We plan to upgrade to an automated system once a humidity sensor is installed.
  • Monitoring: A WYZE Cam Pan v3 Indoor/Outdoor IP65-Rated 1080p Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wi-Fi Smart Home Security Camera with Motion Tracking. Allowing us to remotely view inside the coop when we are not able to get there physically. i.e. heavy storm or out running errands.
  • ☀️ Benefits:
  • Healthier Chickens: Our coop's design promotes good ventilation, a dry environment, and comfortable temperatures, contributing to the overall health and well-being of our chickens.
  • Reduced Odors: With proper ventilation and a dry environment, our coop stays fresh-smelling without the unpleasant odors often associated with enclosed coops.
  • Year-Round Comfort: Designed to provide a comfortable living space for the chickens throughout the seasons, our coop can be adjusted to suit different weather conditions.
I'm really proud of how our coop has turned out, and our chickens seem to love it too! If anyone has questions or wants more details about any aspect of the coop, feel free to ask! 🐓💚

Attachments

• run chicken giant.jpg
    run chicken giant.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 2
Synopsis

🐔 Introducing Our Coop: A Model of Comfort and Health for Happy Chickens! 🐔
Hey everyone! I'm excited to share some details about the coop setup I've created for my chickens. I've put a lot of thought and effort into making it a comfortable and healthy space for them, and I'm thrilled with how it's turned out!
🌿 Design Features:
  • Size and Capacity: Our coop measures 20x12 feet and can comfortably accommodate approximately 60 birds, with 4 square feet per bird. This spacious setup allows our chickens plenty of room to move around and thrive.
  • Open Air Concept: The coop features hardware cloth walls on the south side and the door, framed with wood decking boards for strength and light weight. The entire south side is bolted on with 4 bolts and a few screws, allowing for easy removal of the wall for cleaning. This design ensures excellent airflow while maintaining security.
  • Fold-Up Roosts: Large roosts on the East and West walls are suspended with chain and can be folded up, providing flexibility for cleaning and maintenance. Since the roosts fold up, the tractor can easily scoop out the floor.
  • Automatic Run-Chicken Door: Our coop is equipped with an automatic run-chicken giant door mounted on the door itself, allowing our chickens to free-range during the day while keeping them safe from predators.
  • Cooling Strategies: To keep our chickens cool during hot weather. The South wall and sides are shaded with 90 percent shade cloth. Inside we have a 24" fan with three misters. The misting system is pre-filtered by a 5-micron Dual Stage Water Filter for Misting & Fogging Systems, reducing the need for frequent misting tip replacements. Clean water pans are provided for the chickens to stand in and cool off. Additionally, an ice chest with four nipples provides cold water for drinking, with a daily frozen water jug inside to maintain cold temperatures.
  • Heating Strategies: On occasion in South Texas we get a hard freeze. While not necessarily needed for full grown chickens. A heat lamp is suspended above each roost with chain. A bucket heater is placed inside the ice chest to prevent the water nipples from freezing.
  • Temperature Control: We currently use a programable temperature sensor that controls two outlets. One outlet activating when the temperature is below the set point and the other when the temperature is above the set point, with a 2-degree variance before switching. The coop heating & cooling is items are exchanged each Spring & Fall. Totes store the off season equipment while not in use.
  • Future Plans: The misters are currently manually controlled due to Texas humidity. Over 30~40% humidity with misters running does not cool well and causes to much moisture inside the coop. We plan to upgrade to an automated system once a humidity sensor is installed.
  • Monitoring: A WYZE Cam Pan v3 Indoor/Outdoor IP65-Rated 1080p Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wi-Fi Smart Home Security Camera with Motion Tracking. Allowing us to remotely view inside the coop when we are not able to get there physically. i.e. heavy storm or out running errands.
  • ☀️ Benefits:
  • Healthier Chickens: Our coop's design promotes good ventilation, a dry environment, and comfortable temperatures, contributing to the overall health and well-being of our chickens.
  • Reduced Odors: With proper ventilation and a dry environment, our coop stays fresh-smelling without the unpleasant odors often associated with enclosed coops.
  • Year-Round Comfort: Designed to provide a comfortable living space for the chickens throughout the seasons, our coop can be adjusted to suit different weather conditions.
I'm really proud of how our coop has turned out, and our chickens seem to love it too! If anyone has questions or wants more details about any aspect of the coop, feel free to ask! 🐓💚
More pictures of the inside please, sounds very nice and well thought out!

Need to remove all winter items and get it ready for summer. 84 inside it today.
IMG_20240403_172439409.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_172425359.jpg
    IMG_20240403_172425359.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240403_172400487.jpg
    IMG_20240403_172400487.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom