Metal Shed coop ventilation

Here's an article for you on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Venting the gable triangles and the tops of the walls is the right idea -- keeping everything above the birds heads. You'll need to install awnings of some kind to keep the weather out of the vents. The ones on my brooder are pretty redneck, but it's possible to make nicer ones:

cover-image

In *my* climate I'd take the metal doors off and replace them with hardware cloth, but that's probably not the right solution for you. But if you do want to replace the doors (I recommend it if they're the sort that slide in tracks rather than swing because the chicken bedding will promptly clog the tracks no matter what you do), you could put adjustable vents into the replacement doors.

One problem you could have in your climate that I don't have in mine is condensation forming on the metal roof and dripping onto the birds below.

Insulation for warmth is moot if the ventilation is adequate, but in some climates, and your area is likely to be one of them, putting a thermal break under the roof to prevent condensation where rising warm air meets the cold metal is a good idea.

Drywall and chickens are NOT a good combination.

Yes, it will get all soggy and nasty. Also the chickens will peck it.

They will also peck any insulation they can get their beaks onto (for some reason unknown to rational minds, chickens LOVE styrofoam), which is another reason to insulate only the roof and not the walls.

Check your state thread for help dealing with the problems that arise in your specific climate. :)
How does one find your states thread? 🤣

The thermal break is a great idea thank you! Also I don’t know There was a thread for your own state so thanks for that as well.

When we did our metal roof we learned that it was unnecessary in our climate and with our design, but that also told me when it's likely to be necessary. :D

How does one find your states thread? 🤣

In the "where are you?" section of the forums there's a listing of the state threads. Some are more active, some less: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ny-chicken-lover.231485/unread

Metal sheds are tough, especially in harsh climates(hot or cold).
Biggest problem is no roof overhang(true of most sheds) to protect the ventilation added.
Adding ventilation/windows can be tough too, unless you know how to work with metal.
Same goes for adding roosts, nests, etc....attaching things to the metal framing can be tricky.

Using interior sheathing, no matter what it's made of, is not going to help much,
and may well provide rodents with a nice habitat.

Snow load might be an issue too. I have that same shed and wedge a couple 2x2's under the mid rafters to prevent collapse...tho we can get feet of snow here.

Metal sheds are tough, especially in harsh climates(hot or cold).
Biggest problem is no roof overhang(true of most sheds) to protect the ventilation added.
Adding ventilation/windows can be tough too, unless you know how to work with metal.
Same goes for adding roosts, nests, etc....attaching things to the metal framing can be tricky.

Using interior sheathing, no matter what it's made of, is not going to help much,
and may well provide rodents with a nice habitat.

Snow load might be an issue too. I have that same shed and wedge a couple 2x2's under the mid rafters to prevent collapse...tho we can get feet of snow here.
Thanks for the feedback! Ive read your comments on other post and was actually hoping you would see this and comment in all honesty. I’m pretty handy and have a bunch of tools so cutting the metal isn’t an issue. The overhangs may give me a run for my money but I guess we’ll find out. We do get multiple feet of snow here too so I’ll probably do the same with 2x4s. The good news is that I have it on the other side of my house so it will be blocked by prevailing winds and weather.

A few progress pics of my metal shed to coop conversion. Got the floor in and covered with linoleum for easy cleaning. Next step is pop door and vents! I’ve built a roost and need to put some nesting boxes together.

Attachments

• 4E256B3E-7D15-4AD2-A39B-31703AA3C7F8.jpeg
    4E256B3E-7D15-4AD2-A39B-31703AA3C7F8.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 15
  • EE1E9296-EC86-4A2D-AABA-2CFD157B5FEE.jpeg
    EE1E9296-EC86-4A2D-AABA-2CFD157B5FEE.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 20
A little update (if anyone cares haha). Pop door is in, vents are in (I have more vents on the other side just forgot to take a pic. Also got our very first egg yesterday! Gotta work on having them using the nesting boxes but one step at a time I suppose.

Attachments

• D5BE468B-A892-4A64-9501-70978EC0C038.jpeg
    D5BE468B-A892-4A64-9501-70978EC0C038.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 9DE16B34-D393-40FE-8181-EBCBE8B8256B.jpeg
    9DE16B34-D393-40FE-8181-EBCBE8B8256B.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 19
  • A27A6D2B-262A-4DD8-B08A-1441E11242A1.jpeg
    A27A6D2B-262A-4DD8-B08A-1441E11242A1.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 56F1E09B-51F5-4A66-BD82-7E4E52F08C3A.jpeg
    56F1E09B-51F5-4A66-BD82-7E4E52F08C3A.jpeg