Metal Sheds?

I'm so glad to discover that I'm not the only one using a metal shed for a chicken coop! I also used a chain link dog kennel for a run and it works beautifully. I tried litter boxes for nesting boxes, but my chickens decided to be contrary. They'd pile straw up, make a hollow in the middle of it and nest/lay there. All the hens would take turns laying in that hollowed out place. The only problem I had with the metal shed was keeping it warm in the winter. I live in Michigan, so the winters are fairly long and the temps can fall below zero. I used light bulbs for warmth, but I had a lot of heat escaping out the roof. Has anyone used a metal shed in colder climates, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to how to beat the heat loss problem?

I also read that one lady was having problems with raccoons opening doors. To beat the raccoon problem, I had to put locks on the door to the chicken coop and the gate to the run. Stray cats and coyotes can be a problem getting into the run if there's not a fairly solid top over the run.

On a different note, I didn't have wildlife ever stealing eggs, but prior to the padlocks just to keep the raccoons out, I had someone sneaking into the coop at night and stealing eggs! I'm assuming it was a woman, because one night the culprit lost a woman's watch in the coop!

LOL Ya know. For some reason I can totally picture my elderly next door neighbor sneaking eggs. And we dont even have the little ones here yet!

I will have to talk to the hubby about putting locks on the door to keep the raccoon and the neighbor woman out!

We're in Mi too, and I was going to post that it might be hard to keep the metal coop warm enough in the winter, and simba beat me to it. Seriously, the only way I can think of that you could hold the heat in a metal shed would be to insulate the walls and ceiling with something. We have insulated our metal pole barn with pink foam board insulation, and made a ceiling from it as well. It does help to hold some of the heat inside. It might keep it warm enough if it's a small shed with shavings, and chicken body heat. But I think you might have to cover the insulation with something to keep the birds from pecking and eating the foam stuff.

I have a metal shed for a coop also. What I did was I put the pink foam insulation on the ceiling and the top half of 2 walls! I have had good luck so far . Before I did that it was like a freezer in the winter and an oven in the summer. I also cut holes on each side and made 2 runs this way in the morning they have shade on side and shade on the other in the afternoon . I covered my runs with latice and this year I bought some vine flowers to grow up it to help provide more shade . Good luck to you !!
If you want me to post pictures let me know!

Thanks
Cristina

simba49450 wrote:
I had someone sneaking into the coop at night and stealing eggs! I'm assuming it was a woman, because one night the culprit lost a woman's watch in the coop!

Holy cow!!! I NEVER would have thought of having to protect against dishonest neighbors. That's seriously freaky. Did you ever to see if anyone was missing a watch?

Of course, it could have been an inept thief who left a watch at your place, an egg somewhere else, and so on...
lol.png

One of our local supercenters has a metal shed for $199, but I think I could find a nice used one for less, like asher suggested. My husband has champagne tastes in coops, though... he's been seduced by a fancy wooden Amish coop that he wants to copy.​

I wanted to show you my coop and run. It is working out wonderfully.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

I have planted seeds to grow vines and flowers up the side where the white slots are.

are you not afraid raccoons or opossums or cats could climb the slotted area and get your chickens at night? (or is this not part of the secure sleeping area? ) can't see what's behind it in the pix

Nope, they sleep in the coop locked up very tight and secure. I haven't had a predator here in the four years since I have had chickens. That is not to say there wouldn't be one, which is why at night they are locked up good.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom