Metal Waterer Question.........

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Using one of those 2 gallon galvanized metal double wall affairs from TSC ...... Went from plastic to metal due to using a water heater in winter...... The metal ones rusts right away & eventually rust through..... My question: Does using the rusted waterer pose health risks to my hens?

We've been using that same kind of waterer - the 2 gallon double walled galvanized metal kind - since September, and we have no signs of rust. We have pretty hard water here, too. In non-freezing weather, we change the water every night when we are putting "the girls" to bed. In freezing weather (like now!), I've started using a smaller plastic waterer to swap out with the metal one - when one starts to freeze up, I bring out the other one and bring in the freezing one to thaw in the bathtub.

When you say they rust "right away", how soon do you mean? I would think rusty water wouldn't be very good for any animal to drink. Can you have the pH of your water tested, and treat it(naturally, not with chemicals) to make it less prone to causing rust?

Hope this helps . . .

NancyB

Thanks Nancy for your input! I'm on my second waterer & both were rusted badly within 3-4 weeks! I agree that the rust probably can't be good for my hens. The reviews for this waterer on their website we very poor. Most had the same experience I've had............

Using one of those 2 gallon galvanized metal double wall affairs from TSC ...... Went from plastic to metal due to using a water heater in winter...... The metal ones rusts right away & eventually rust through..... My question: Does using the rusted waterer pose health risks to my hens?

Metal rusty or the water looks rusty?

In my part of the state well water has a high iron content. Left the water settle for a while and it looks rusty. My 8 BO hens are 7 months old laying 5 to 6 eggs a day. Doesn't seem to hurt them any drinking "rusty" water.

Last edited:
"Rust" is ferrous oxide - iron. Iron helps the blood carry oxygen - you don't want iron poor blood.
Iron in the water naturally or from rusty fountains is not going to hurt any poultry.

"Rust" is ferrous oxide - iron. Iron helps the blood carry oxygen - you don't want iron poor blood.
Iron in the water naturally or from rusty fountains is not going to hurt any poultry.

Thanks 20736! This is the definitive answer I was searching for!!
I've recently lost a hen & needed to be sure this wasn't the source of my problem......

Back
Top Bottom