Metal wing bands??

Wing bands are preferred by many breeders as they don`t lose them as easily as leg bands and they stay ledgible longer. I breed exotic gamefowl and it is common among gamefowl breeders. Many breeders, buying birds to add to their program will not accept birds with no ID band. Even new bands are suspect. What it means is that the breeder keeps good records and cares about the lineage and quality of their birds.

Quote:
Are the wing bands better than leg bands???

In my opinion, yes and many breeders agree. Some of the advantages are, wing bands are permanent, whereas leg bands are sometimes lost or beat up beyong ledgeability with age. Also, wing bands do not tighten as the bird grows, necessitating the replacement of the band.

Wing bands are called patagial tags in the bird industry. The patagial skin (between the shoulder and what is technically the wrist of the bird) is very stretchy and has no muscle in it. Obviously it does hurt to pierce it, but it's like piercing an ear. I know there are reasons for it, but I have to admit, when it comes to sexing chicks, the paint spot on the roo heads seems much more humane to me. Definitely remove the tags asap when you get new chicks home.
For wild bird banding, patagial tags are used on vultures, since they urinate on their legs and it builds up under a leg band and causes infection. (sorry - silly and slightly unrelated trivia)...
smile.png

kycklingar! :

Wing bands are called patagial tags in the bird industry.

the paint spot on the roo heads seems much more humane to me. Definitely remove the tags asap when you get new chicks home.

you do NOT have to remove the wing tag. it is fine to leave them, that is why it's there, for ID of the bird. in a few months you won't even see it unless you go looking for it.​

Greetings All! I'm just throwing this up here so that anyone who comes here for information might not make the mistake. DO NOT REMOVE WING BANDS! They are not meant to come off; they are meant to go on. It was above likened to an ear-piercing, but it's even lighter than that. Chickens have a far less sophisticated nerovous system than ours; moreoever, we're talking about young birds, whcih have even less of a developed nervous system. Getting a wing band is like a hiccup. The area of the wing to which it is applied is much less substantial that the human ear; ergo wing bands are no big deal. HOWEVER, wing bands are permanent, which is why one must resort to needle-nosed pliers to remove them!
th.gif
You want to talk about potential for pain?!

Wing bands, i.e. chicken earings, are just fine. They are used for identification and are very handy on the farm. If you don't keep records, just ignore them. They do not bother your chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom