Methionine and lysine

What’s about quinoa?
Hi CHicken01. Quinoa is expensive. :) It also has less Met than a chicken needs - adding Quinoa will REDUCE average met levels in an otherwise acceptable feed (and total crude protein, too) That's what's about Quinoa. Teff is better, but much harder to find on the grocery shelf. Also, expensive. Will typically increase Met levels (while reducing total crude protein, likely reduces Lys, is pretty close to target Threonine. Its Tryp levels are open to some debate.

As Nuthatched said above, the best, most common boost in chicken feed for crude protein, Methionine, and Lysine is soy meal - because its a cheap industrial byproduct which has had most of its fat extracted to make soybean oil, leaving a heat treated (important when dealing with legumes), concentrated protein source - and in the plant world, Soy is about as close as you can get to an "ideal" protein. Other sources of concentrated protein in chicken feed are animal/insect proteins (fish meal, crab meal, porcine blood meal, meal worms, etc), some oil seed meals (sesame meal, cottonseed meal), and "corn gluten meal" - each of which has factors which make it better suited to more limited and specialized use.

As to the YouTube video and the current (related) FB rage? I was going to go into it elsewhere, but that thread has been locked and the Mods have requested we not start a similar thread. In my opinion, which I will NOT debate here, "Assumes facts not in evidence", "Ignores more plausible alternatives", and "Magical Thinking".

/edit and not to toot my own horn, cause I'm just a guy who has spent a few hours reading, but if you were to search "Methionine" on BYC, my name would come up a lot.

Last edited:
I was going to go into it elsewhere, but that thread has been locked and the Mods have requested we not start a similar thread. In my opinion, which I will NOT debate here, "Assumes facts not in evidence", "Ignores more plausible alternatives", and "Magical Thinking"
I was looking forward to what you had to say. I wish that thread had not devolved into what it did.

"Assumes facts not in evidence" makes you sound like a good friend of mine. :gig But his field of expertise is the judicious use of lethal force for self defense, and nothing to do with chickens.

"Assumes facts not in evidence" makes you sound like a good friend of mine. :gig But his field of expertise is the judicious use of lethal force for self defense, and nothing to do with chickens.
If you think it has nothing to do with chickens, you haven't been around when I've dealt with chicken predators. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom