Methods

I'm most fond of cervical dislocation, aka separating the head from the neck vertebrae. I use "the broomstick method" quite often, especially if I'm putting one down rather than specifically butchering. You can search that term on YouTube and see some videos.
You can either pull the head clean off, in which case they'll fling blood all over unless you grab their wings quickly and point them into a bucket, or you can stop after you feel the head pop, in which case they'll bleed out into their neck. The blood kinda clots up in there and I find that rather gross, but it's handy if you don't want the blood flying.

I do also slit jugulars. Just depends on the situation.

Hi there. :frow

I slit the throat but use a cone to restrain the bird and drain into a trash can. It's not messy but quite controlled. It also bleeds them out quite well.

Some folks will use a broomstick laid across the back of the neck and pull the legs for cervical dislocation. Many will accidentally pop the heads off. I tried this once and the cone was a better choice for me. Note I only say once... and the first time I did the cone didn't go perfect either. No matter which method you try it will likely take some practice to get the SKILL honed in.

My grandma told stories about ringing necks... but that just seems challenging and maybe traumatizing to me as a keeper.

Since I am a one woman show... I have not tried restraining a chicken on a stump and swinging an ax for fear of taking my own leg off as I am highly prone to accidents. In fact, being afraid of cutting myself even hindered my first throat cutting... but the spine keeps the knife from going all the way through the neck.

I have seen folks using a cone and garden loppers instead of a knife. They take the head all the way off.

An alternative that creates restraint but less costly than cones is tying them up by their legs with a rope. I also tried that, but I have MORE control with my homemade cone... vinegar jug with top and bottom cut out.

Some folks will use Ether (carburetor starting fluid I think) to euthanize a bird inside an airtight bucket. I am unsure if this allows the meat to be viable for human consumption.

I'm sure there may be some methods I missed or didn't describe 100% accurately. Others will be along to share their experiences though. Help this help a little.

And congratulations on building the courage to reach the final step! :highfive:

I could have added, I DID try swinging an axe, and it was extremely awful for both me and the bird. I do not have good hand/eye coordination at all, so it is not an option I'll ever try again. I wouldn't mind using good loppers, but not investing in them for that at this point.

I would never use ether or CO2 (baking soda and vinegar) either. I don't think it would be safe to eat an ether'ed bird, and I don't believe it's humane.

I’ve actually got a cone, drill plucker, and knife from my neighbor and used them before but was wondering what other methods there was out there, to ‘explore’ I guess. And to see what others do. Thanks guys!

slitting the throat doesn't have to be messy. Slice and lower bird into a trash-bag lined bucket. Wet it down after so the feathers don't just float around the yard.
That’s what I do. More of asking if there’s anything with less blood in the initial butchering.

Last edited:
What are some methods you guys use to butcher birds? Is there a less ‘messy’ way than slitting throats?

Probably not if you want them to bleed out. Most people think the meat tastes better if they bleed out. To me the important thing is to do it in a way that you can. If you are not comfortable swinging an ax or hatchet then don't. You don't want to close your eyes or flinch at the wrong time. That's not good for you or the bird. Same thing with any other method. Just do it the way you can.

I hold the chicken on my lap with a drape that extends into a lined trash can. I perform a cervical dislocation and then pithing to ensure the bird has been dispatched. Then I pluck the feathers over the jugular so I can cut the skin and vessel without dulling my knife on the feathers. I hold onto the head and let the head hang down in the bucket. I also hold onto the body and wings till any movement has stopped.

All the blood, feathers and unwanted innards are collected in the trash bag which I double bag before discarding in the trash.

Back
Top Bottom