Meyer called, had to make subs, did I do okay?! (Bantams)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My first-grader and I have been so excited about our first chickens, and we carefully picked out and ordered bantams which we thought had both good dispositions and layed a decent number of eggs. We settled on White Wyandottes, Buff Brahmas, and EEs (all bantams). We were all excited that they're shipping today, and then Meyer just called me and said they had bad hatches on BOTH the Brahmas and the Wyandottes! [​IMG] I was under the gun to pick something else right then if I wanted them to still ship today (long story, but I had to have them go out this week). SO, now our little backyard bantam flock will have Barred Rocks and Mille Fleurs intead (plus some EEs and a silkie or two). Are either of these decent layers? I was thinking the BRs probably are, but I know nothing about Mille Fleurs except that they're pretty....

I guess I counted (on) my chickens before they hatched, but I'm pretty disappointed. At least my little girl is more philosophical about it. On top of it Meyer called just moments after I'd had to cull my first chick (http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/). Bad day.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I believe the barred rocks will be good layers, don't know about the milles. The silkies are broody. They are all beautiful birds and my silkies are very sweet. You will enjoy those babies.
    Good Luck

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have 6 BR from McMurray's and I get 4-6 eggs a day, even all winter. I hand-raised ours with lots of attention and they're the nicest lap dogs you'll ever meet! My daughters love to hold them and swing in the tree swing, and I go out to the coop for poultry therapy (PT) from my feathered friends after a long day. You'll LOVE them! They are backyard clowns!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are talking about Mille Fleur D'uccles (Mille Fleur is the color). They do not lay very well. I have three hens and get maybe 2-3 eggs per week sometimes a little more, sometimes less. They make up for it by being extremely friendly and are talkative. They accept being petted also. You'll like them if you aren't keeping them for eggs.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Now you've got me worried, I have a shipment from Meyer due to go out the 20th and I can't take substitutions................[​IMG]

Hope me breeds hatch well

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have only one MFD of laying age and she gives me an egg almost every day! Min of 5 a week. I'm adding more because I love her so!

7. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Of course now I'm second-guessing myself and wishing I'd told them I wanted ALL BRs, but it's too late now! The EEs should be decent layers, right? I just hope all my BRs don't turn out to be roos.....

The silkies were an afterthought, because my kids fell in love with them. I'm thinking we'll only keep one, just for fun.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I think you will be pleased with your unforseen changes.

There are "No Bad Chicks!"

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have 3 standard sized EE's. I get about 6 eggs a week out of each of them... and beautiful blue and green eggs at that! I hope you'll be happy with yours!

10. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I know that barred rocks in the non-bantam variety are good layers. not sure about the others.

We also had a last-minute sub we had to do with Meyer Hatchery. They called the day the chicks were shipping last Monday and said they didn't have the five EE's we'd ordered, and what did we want instead. We picked five black jersey giants last minute and they had those in stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by