Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I moved my chicks to a bigger brooder about one week ago, but they are going to quickly outgrow that as well. May have to move them out into their own pen in the big coop soon.

Getting a bit concerned that I may have a couple males in the bunch. One of my Olive Eggers and one of my Marans have some pretty big combs compared to everyone else and the Marans is acting a little roo-ish as well. Just hoping their combs continue to stay flesh colored and don't get pink anytime soon.

@NalaLana000
What breeds of chicks did you order?
IMG_20170628_103836798.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170704_143255313.jpg
    IMG_20170704_143255313.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 26
I moved my chicks to a bigger brooder about one week ago, but they are going to quickly outgrow that as well. May have to move them out into their own pen in the big coop soon.

Getting a bit concerned that I may have a couple males in the bunch. One of my Olive Eggers and one of my Marans have some pretty big combs compared to everyone else and the Marans is acting a little roo-ish as well. Just hoping their combs continue to stay flesh colored and don't get pink anytime soon.
I think at least one or two of mine are males too. :( I think one of the EEs are cuz it's comb is bigger and brighter than the other one

Just placed an order today. 1 Rhode Island Red Male & 15 Brown Egg Layer Assortment Females.

Will be here next week sometime. First time ordering chicks online!

I forgot to update! Out of my first order in in the Spring, one of my female Blue Splash Marans ended up being a cockerel. I contacted Meyer with pictures and they immediately apologized and made it right.

I received my 2nd batch of chicks from Meyer Hatchery at the end of July. I ordered the following female chicks:
3 Black Copper Marans
3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
2 Colombian Wyandotte
2 Welsummer
2 Silver Laced Cochin
1 White Sultan
1 Buff Laced Polish
1 Silver Laced Polish
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Dominique
1 White Marans
1 Golden Cuckoo Marans
1 Ancona
1 Exchequer Leghorn
1 Lavender Orpington
1 Jubilee Orpington
1 MMM which has turned out to be a Golden Buff.
None were DOA and all seemed active once I put them in the brooder. Unfortunately, one of my Black Copper Marans chicks has a foot deformity on both feet and my White Sultan and Jubilee Orpington passed away within the 48 hour time frame. Meyer, of course, has excellent customer service and made it right. I received a replacement Jubilee Orpington the following week but since they did not have any White Sultans available I added a Buff Orpington and another Speckled Sussex. After I received the replacements, I noticed one of my Welsummer I had received in the prior order dragging her leg. She ended up having an remains of her umbilical cord wrapped around the upper part of her leg. I successfully cut it off and treated the area with Vetericyn. She seemed to improve and was using her leg. Unfortunately, about a week and 1/2 later she became extremely weak very quickly and did end up passing away. I didn't contact Meyer regarding her because I knew it was well outside of the 48 hour time frame and it was beyond the hatcheries control as once the chick was fluffed up there was no way they could have seen the umbilical cord. The rest of the chicks are doing wonderfully and growing so very fast! The BCM with the foot deformities doesn't let it slow her down. It's almost impossible to tell her from the other 2 BCM until you pick her up.

I forgot to update! Out of my first order in in the Spring, one of my female Blue Splash Marans ended up being a cockerel. I contacted Meyer with pictures and they immediately apologized and made it right.

I received my 2nd batch of chicks from Meyer Hatchery at the end of July. I ordered the following female chicks:
3 Black Copper Marans
3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
2 Colombian Wyandotte
2 Welsummer
2 Silver Laced Cochin
1 White Sultan
1 Buff Laced Polish
1 Silver Laced Polish
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Dominique
1 White Marans
1 Golden Cuckoo Marans
1 Ancona
1 Exchequer Leghorn
1 Lavender Orpington
1 Jubilee Orpington
1 MMM which has turned out to be a Golden Buff.
None were DOA and all seemed active once I put them in the brooder. Unfortunately, one of my Black Copper Marans chicks has a foot deformity on both feet and my White Sultan and Jubilee Orpington passed away within the 48 hour time frame. Meyer, of course, has excellent customer service and made it right. I received a replacement Jubilee Orpington the following week but since they did not have any White Sultans available I added a Buff Orpington and another Speckled Sussex. After I received the replacements, I noticed one of my Welsummer I had received in the prior order dragging her leg. She ended up having an remains of her umbilical cord wrapped around the upper part of her leg. I successfully cut it off and treated the area with Vetericyn. She seemed to improve and was using her leg. Unfortunately, about a week and 1/2 later she became extremely weak very quickly and did end up passing away. I didn't contact Meyer regarding her because I knew it was well outside of the 48 hour time frame and it was beyond the hatcheries control as once the chick was fluffed up there was no way they could have seen the umbilical cord. The rest of the chicks are doing wonderfully and growing so very fast! The BCM with the foot deformities doesn't let it slow her down. It's almost impossible to tell her from the other 2 BCM until you pick her up.

Looks like we all got a lot of the same breeds!!!

My chicks are almost 7 weeks old now and everyone is doing well and getting much bigger. Several of them are quite friendly and curious, while others are a bit more stand-offish. The most friendly seem to be the Buff Orpington, my mystery chick (thinking Golden Buff now), Black and Blue Copper Marans, my blue-based Easter Egger, and the Exchequer Leghorn. My past experience has led my to believe that Leghorns were a bit more stand-offish, but not this one! My kids favorite happens to be the Appenzeller Spitzhauben - they can't resist the "mohawk" (as the call it), and all their handling of her is making her much more friendly as well.

I will try to update with some pictures soon!

IMG_2195.JPG

I received 5 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Dark Brahmas from a shared Meyer order. They are now 6 weeks old, and so far, all of them are extremely sweet and active. One of the Brahmas had pasty butt when we first got her, but so far that is the only issue we have had to face. However, one of our Buffs is unusually small and underdeveloped. She appears healthy and is just as loud, lively, and hungry as everyone else, but she is half the size of every other chick and is still losing her baby fluff at 6 weeks. I have had a RIR chick like this before so it does not seem like a big problem, but I was worried about her at first. Otherwise, it has been lovely ordering chicks from Meyer!

Attachments

• IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 24
View attachment 1132777

I received 5 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Dark Brahmas from a shared Meyer order. They are now 6 weeks old, and so far, all of them are extremely sweet and active. One of the Brahmas had pasty butt when we first got her, but so far that is the only issue we have had to face. However, one of our Buffs is unusually small and underdeveloped. She appears healthy and is just as loud, lively, and hungry as everyone else, but she is half the size of every other chick and is still losing her baby fluff at 6 weeks. I have had a RIR chick like this before so it does not seem like a big problem, but I was worried about her at first. Otherwise, it has been lovely ordering chicks from Meyer!

Glad they are all doing well, other than one being on the small side. Never had a dark brahma before, but pictures of yours is making me want one now. :D

Back
Top Bottom