Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

All four girls are definitely laying now. My lack of patience seems silly now. I got a new eggs from one of the girls today. It is so small that it does not fit in my Lynn skelter LOL!

An update on my chicks, I have had them for a week now. I ordered from the brown, white, and rare assorted packs and then ended up adding a couple of males to the bunch (blue splash maran, black copper maran, and blue ameraucana) for a total of 18 chicks. I had 1 doa, one die within the first 48hr, and then one more the next day. So this is what I have with 15 birds total. I am bad with breeds so maybe someone can help me figure out what is what?

These both look like marans. 1 is probably your splash maran roo

Not sure about the one on the left (EE maybe?) but the one on the right could be a LBL, Welsummer, or Speckled Sussex but judging by those wing feathers my vote is for LBL or Welsummer

Left is a Buff laced Polish, right I'm guessing EE

I'm not familiar enough with the red breeds to make a guess on these

If the one on the left has a beard I'd say that's your blue americauna and the one on the right is probably your black copper maran (though it has clean legs so it could be a Jersey Giant or Black Australorp

The two on the left look like Ancona's, the one on the right is hard to see in this pic but maybe a serama?

All four girls are definitely laying now. My lack of patience seems silly now. I got a new eggs from one of the girls today. It is so small that it does not fit in my Lynn skelter LOL!
So cute! Looks like our bantam eggs. I have a skelter just for the bantam eggs but they barely fit. My mom said where she ordered the skelter they came in different sizes. Too bad the place we had the coupon for didn't offer the different sizes.

Last edited:
My best guesses are in blue
An update on my chicks, I have had them for a week now. I ordered from the brown, white, and rare assorted packs and then ended up adding a couple of males to the bunch (blue splash maran, black copper maran, and blue ameraucana) for a total of 18 chicks. I had 1 doa, one die within the first 48hr, and then one more the next day. So this is what I have with 15 birds total. I am bad with breeds so maybe someone can help me figure out what is what? blue Marans and splash Marans EE and brown leghorn buff laced polish and Sicilian buttercup both Rhode Island reds both red sex links blue ameraucana and black australorp 2 Ancona and silver lakenvelder

An update on my chicks, I have had them for a week now. I ordered from the brown, white, and rare assorted packs and then ended up adding a couple of males to the bunch (blue splash maran, black copper maran, and blue ameraucana) for a total of 18 chicks. I had 1 doa, one die within the first 48hr, and then one more the next day. So this is what I have with 15 birds total. I am bad with breeds so maybe someone can help me figure out what is what?

They are adorable, great pics!

I love the tiny ones.

So cute! Looks like our bantam eggs. I have a skelter just for the bantam eggs but they barely fit. My mom said where she ordered the skelter they came in different sizes. Too bad the place we had the coupon for didn't offer the different sizes.
I think Amazon sells the small sized skelters, but of course not at the great Manna Pro price.

We started on the nest boxes today. We are trying to use scrap wood plus wood from old cabinets, so they're not very pretty, but I am going to paint them all one color soon. They'll be going from 4 to 8 boxes so they should be happy. We have one roost cut and picking up more wood possibly tomorrow for some more roosts, plus linoleum for the floor too. It's so nice to work with a building that already has four walls, a non leaky roof and a floor. So different then our first coop.

EE's above? although no green legs yet. 2 of mine got their green legs a
few weeks later though

Polish on left and EE on right (but everything chipmunk looking
I think is an EE)

both look like Rhode Island Reds

Red Sex Link?

one on right is Black Australorp

yesss.gif
The last one is small but pretty color!!

I'll brood them for a few months to see who is the most friendly. Any misbehavior and swap meet they will go. I have a few now that are very friendly and love my 3yo son so I'm hand raising these with that goal in mind. I only plan to keep about 3/4 of them. I just couldn't decide so I got a few extra. Who knows maybe they will all be friendly and we will just build another coop.
1f600.png
chicken math
1f609.png

That is three quarters not 3 or 4. So I'll be keeping 12 or so. Ha ha just noticed it was confusing.
1f60a.png

I'm so frustrated. Chicks just don't seem to do well in this house! I thought maybe it was our brooder last year but with two new brooders in two different rooms in the house, I can rule that out. We lost another chick this morning (the last weak one from the start) and a seemingly healthy one just became lethargic and won't eat/drink. This is the same thing that happened last year. I treated for cocci last year just in case and it didn't change the outcome.
One brooder has the eco glow, the other has a lamp. The chicks run around like the temp is good, no huddling and no avoiding the lamp/brooder. They have food and clean water (changed multiple times a day with vitamins added). Their brooders are cleaned every couple days.
I can't figure out why we are losing so many. A few I could tell wouldn't make it as soon as we took them out of the box but the one today seemed fine the whole week. Very frustrating. I have tried force feeding them but it doesn't help our maybe it helps them last a day or two extra but it never gets them to improve. I hope we have better luck with any chicks we hatch! I wonder if there is something in the house that any chick with a weakness just can't handle? Problem with that theory is we seem to do fine with the feed store chicks, only lost 1 out of 9 of those compared to 7 out of 25 of the shipped chicks.

I'm so frustrated. Chicks just don't seem to do well in this house! .... I wonder if there is something in the house that any chick with a weakness just can't handle? Problem with that theory is we seem to do fine with the feed store chicks, only lost 1 out of 9 of those compared to 7 out of 25 of the shipped chicks.

You have to remember that the feed store is a middle man. They get their chicks from hatcheries too and suffer losses including DOAs before the public can buy their chicks. So, the ones you get from them may be a little older and stronger and more likely to survive. The feed store's averages may be the same as yours direct from the hatchery.

That being said, I am really sorry about your losses and I hope you have better luck in the future!!

I'm so frustrated. Chicks just don't seem to do well in this house! I thought maybe it was our brooder last year but with two new brooders in two different rooms in the house, I can rule that out. We lost another chick this morning (the last weak one from the start) and a seemingly healthy one just became lethargic and won't eat/drink. This is the same thing that happened last year. I treated for cocci last year just in case and it didn't change the outcome.
One brooder has the eco glow, the other has a lamp. The chicks run around like the temp is good, no huddling and no avoiding the lamp/brooder. They have food and clean water (changed multiple times a day with vitamins added). Their brooders are cleaned every couple days.
I can't figure out why we are losing so many. A few I could tell wouldn't make it as soon as we took them out of the box but the one today seemed fine the whole week. Very frustrating. I have tried force feeding them but it doesn't help our maybe it helps them last a day or two extra but it never gets them to improve. I hope we have better luck with any chicks we hatch! I wonder if there is something in the house that any chick with a weakness just can't handle? Problem with that theory is we seem to do fine with the feed store chicks, only lost 1 out of 9 of those compared to 7 out of 25 of the shipped chicks.

You have to remember that the feed store is a middle man. They get their chicks from hatcheries too and suffer losses including DOAs before the public can buy their chicks. So, the ones you get from them may be a little older and stronger and more likely to survive. The feed store's averages may be the same as yours direct from the hatchery.

That being said, I am really sorry about your losses and I hope you have better luck in the future!!

Thats the only thing I could think of as well. It's not like you're new to this and don't know what you're doing.
Are they certain breeds dying? Maybe instead of force feeding maybe give direct vitamin drops in addition to putting it
in the water? I assume it's not pasty butt and they're not just clogged up.
Gosh, I'm so sorry this is happening to you and the chicks. It must be so hard to find them dead and you probably dread going in to look at
them for fear of finding dead ones.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom