Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Said Sat, now says tues. No separate hatcher. I figure I'll side with the more expensive eggs. I could always order more LOL!! Or perhaps I can make a coolerbator. Oh hubby will kill me. I can't even think about doing that!

I know staggering is going to be difficult. Especially for a first hatch. I've been reading about how people manage it. Seems like dry hatching is a good method to lessen the humidity difference at the end. Looking into it some more before I do anything.
Are you saying by doing the dry hatch method the other eggs can handle 3 days of extra humidity? That sounds reasonable. We are doing the dry hatch method this time. It's a lot easier.

Are you saying by doing the dry hatch method the other eggs can handle 3 days of extra humidity? That sounds reasonable. We are doing the dry hatch method this time. It's a lot easier. 

I think that's what I have figured out. Seems like the lockdown humidity for a dry hatch is about the same as the incubation humidity for a regular hatch. (Regular hatch?? IDK, the other way. Lol). Anyway, I'm hoping that a slightly higher humidity for a couple extra days on the second set of eggs will not be too detrimental. I think I would try the dry hatch either way. It seems like the easiest with the best results.

I don't remember if I posted... all 8 of our girls are laying again. Even Mona is laying again (the one who was attacked awhile ago). :)
My skelter is filling us way faster than we can use them. I sold 3 dozen yesterday and have about 1 1/2 dozen on the skelter.

I candled our eggs again today. One silkie egg wasn't viable and one is questionable but the rest are going strong. Lots of movement. We have one maran egg that I think is clear but it's too dark to tell for sure. So we have 13 silkie eggs that are definitely developing, 1 bantam Mille Fleur cochin egg, and the following mixed with Barnevelder: 1 java, 1 RIR (that egg is HUGE, it barely fits in the carton!), 1 Austra White or Lakenvelder, 1 possible Iowa Blue,1 maran,
They are at day 13.
Yay for your girls laying. We have way too many eggs here too. I guess Spring as arrived at least for the chickens, the weather needs to catch up. Great news on your eggs, I never knew elevation could affect chicks like that, I don't blame you for hatching instead.

Well....I just picked up my ameraucana eggs sent from another BYCer. BUT my Meyer eggs (EE and Marans) are not likely to be here till Tues. I think I may just risk setting them on different days rather than let my AMs age. Ahh! The Meyers eggs were supposed to be here today too. Right now I'm trying to figure out which thermometer I want to pay attention to. They are read almost 10 degrees different. There were the same before going in. I think I might set the eggs to the one side that is keeping a better temp. This is truly nerve racking!!
Oooh, I'm excited to hear about your hatch too. I hope that your Meyer's eggs arrive soon. Maybe the bad weather is affecting shipments?

Day Three of Coop Construction
We're making progress, we cut out the chicken door, window and ceiling vents. I have some used paint and we just need to run buy Lowe's, again, and get a paint brush and a few brackets for the run. We decided to go ahead and level the run with the shed which means we have to raise the run on the back end and figure out a way we can put a door back on the run that is not 2 foot up in the air. It's been an interesting day. I'll have to take pictures tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

Oh my gosh Lynn. Next time I need a coop built, I'm hiring you! You guys are really moving!! It took us a few months to build our coop...on a level surface at that.

I still haven't been able to decide on the breed of this chick. I was thinking EE since she didn't look too much like the other chipmunk breeds I could find but as she gets older I'm not so sure. She doesn't have a beard, has bright orange legs (brighter than the pic shows), and a single comb peaking through.

Here she is at a day old

Here she is now at 1 1/2 weeks

The maybe breeds are Cream Legbar, Barnevelder, Welsummer, Partridge Penedesenca, or EE.
I have found an example of each of these breeds that looks like this chick!

I still haven't been able to decide on the breed of this chick. I was thinking EE since she didn't look too much like the other chipmunk breeds I could find but as she gets older I'm not so sure. She doesn't have a beard, has bright orange legs (brighter than the pic shows), and a single comb peaking through. Here she is at a day old Here she is now at 1 1/2 weeks The maybe breeds are Cream Legbar, Barnevelder, Welsummer, Partridge Penedesenca, or EE. I have found an example of each of these breeds that looks like this chick!
Oh yes! I have seen a chick like this everywhere and they are any one of those. Lol. I know it doesn't help, but some you just have to wait and see. Somebody on here was waiting to see what color the egg was to decide what breed. Seriously?! That's crazy.

Oh, I can't believe it! My Meyers eggs should actually make it here Monday. That means they will only be behind by two days. I think this might actually work.
AM eggs are set and looking good. Temp is steady. So far so good

We're making progress, we cut out the chicken door, window and ceiling vents. I have some used paint and we just need to run buy Lowe's, again, and get a paint brush and a few brackets for the run. We decided to go ahead and level the run with the shed which means we have to raise the run on the back end and figure out a way we can put a door back on the run that is not 2 foot up in the air. It's been an interesting day. I'll have to take pictures tomorrow so you can see what I mean.
You're really coming along! Our run is on a slope but not a steep one so there was no need to really do anything about it. Can't wait to see pics. Hows the broody? Hopefully the change in accommodations will knock her out of it
hu.gif

I still haven't been able to decide on the breed of this chick. I was thinking EE since she didn't look too much like the other chipmunk breeds I could find but as she gets older I'm not so sure. She doesn't have a beard, has bright orange legs (brighter than the pic shows), and a single comb peaking through.

Here she is at a day old

Here she is now at 1 1/2 weeks

The maybe breeds are Cream Legbar, Barnevelder, Welsummer, Partridge Penedesenca, or EE.
I have found an example of each of these breeds that looks like this chick!
Could it be a brown leghorn? Of course I always say EE but with yellow legs and will change to green in a week or 2
pop.gif

Oh, I can't believe it! My Meyers eggs should actually make it here Monday. That means they will only be behind by two days. I think this might actually work.
AM eggs are set and looking good. Temp is steady. So far so good
That's great!!! Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom