Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Meyer sumatra

I think I love them! Exquisite looking birds.

Yesterday was day 7 of my hatch. I pulled the blood rings and clears. Down to 17 eggs in there. I can tell which girls Peppy is loving on more than others. My little Limabean (Meyer splash ameraucana) seems to be his favorite. All her eggs were fertile and she roosts next to him, even though she is the bottom of the pecking order and only the older girls are allowed on that too roost. Hoping to get some cute blue ameraucanas out of this, but my hatchubg skills leave a LOT to be desired.

Have any of you used a saddle on your girls? I'm thinking I have to get/make one. One of the girls is getting a bald spot at the base of her tail. It's not getting picked on very much, but some. I'm hoping the saddle will at least give the feathers a chance to come in.

So interesting info. I saw on Fresh Eggs Daily's FB page that MyPetChicken has new breeds of hatching eggs, including Blue Isbar, Biefelder and Sulmtalers! I am not in a position to hatch eggs but I was curious and went to their website to see what else they had. I went to day old chicks and saw that not only do they have a limited availability of Blue Favacauna chicks but also Wheaten Favacaunas!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Lissas-Wheaten-Favacauna-p1584.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Blue-Favaucana-p1487.aspx

I've been drooling over this cross for over a year now and they were always sold out. Now I think many of us have heard that MPC drop ships many of their breeds from Meyer Hatchery. I knew these eggs were from one of their member's flock so I was curious as to where they were coming from, so I chatted with them. This was their response

MPC: All of our chicks are hatched from our rented incubators in Ohio. The Favacaunas were developed by a MPC employee.

MPC: You can calculate your minimums here: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/BabyChickMin.aspx

MPC: For biosecurity reasons, the hatchery does not allow for pick-up.

Very interesting and bummer on not being to pick them up as I'm going to Meyer on Monday and there are some available that day. Not that they actually confirmed it was Meyer. I would first beg my husband to let us get an extra and maybe offer to swap my Wellie, but that would be sad. Sigh. Maybe next year. Do a three chick min order in April or May. Even though the husband said no more chickens after these until we move.

Last edited:
So interesting info.  I saw on Fresh Eggs Daily's FB page that MyPetChicken has new breeds of hatching eggs, including Blue Isbar, Biefelder and Jubilee Orpington.  I am not in a position to hatch eggs but I was curious and went to their website to see what else they had.  I went to day old chicks and saw that not only do they have a limited availability of Blue Favacauna chicks but also Wheaten Favacaunas!  

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Lissas-Wheaten-Favacauna-p1584.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Blue-Favaucana-p1487.aspx

I've been drooling over this cross for over a year now and they were always sold out.  Now I think many of us have heard that MPC drop ships many of their breeds from Meyer Hatchery.  I knew these eggs were from one of their member's flock so I was curious as to where they were coming from, so I chatted with them.  This was their response

MPC: All of our chicks are hatched from our rented incubators in Ohio. The Favacaunas were developed by a MPC employee.

MPC: You can calculate your minimums here: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/BabyChickMin.aspx

MPC: For biosecurity reasons, the hatchery does not allow for pick-up.

Very interesting and bummer on not being to pick them up as I'm going to Meyer on Monday and there are some available that day.  Not that they actually confirmed it was Meyer.  I would first beg my husband to let us get an extra and maybe offer to swap my Wellie, but that would be sad.  Sigh.  Maybe next year.  Do a three chick min order in April or May.  Even though the husband said no more chickens after these until we move.

Wow! I may faint....now to browse the site some more!

Yesterday was day 7 of my hatch. I pulled the blood rings and clears. Down to 17 eggs in there. I can tell which girls Peppy is loving on more than others. My little Limabean (Meyer splash ameraucana) seems to be his favorite. All her eggs were fertile and she roosts next to him, even though she is the bottom of the pecking order and only the older girls are allowed on that too roost. Hoping to get some cute blue ameraucanas out of this.
Peppy and Lima sitting in a tree! Too cute.

Second day in a row we've gotten 4 eggs out of 5! Morgaine is still out of commission, I'm guessing because of frostbite, she doesn't seem to be molting. Amelia laid earlier in the day and Baby had been in the nest box for a few hours taking her sweet time. When I went out after 2pm and opened the lid to the nest box I found all three nests occupied. I wish I had brought my phone out to take a picture. I'd say Victoria and Clara have gotten back into the swing of it. Victoria took one day off after her first egg since the molt and then laid an egg three days in a row. They may still be small but I'm happy and my husband can have a nice Dorking omlet this weekend. Note that I've used more of Amelia's eggs, she lays everyday, but I love to keep the pastels.

Second day in a row we've gotten 4 eggs out of 5! Morgaine is still out of commission, I'm guessing because of frostbite, she doesn't seem to be molting. Amelia laid earlier in the day and Baby had been in the nest box for a few hours taking her sweet time. When I went out after 2pm and opened the lid to the nest box I found all three nests occupied. I wish I had brought my phone out to take a picture. I'd say Victoria and Clara have gotten back into the swing of it. Victoria took one day off after her first egg since the molt and then laid an egg three days in a row. They may still be small but I'm happy and my husband can have a nice Dorking omlet this weekend. Note that I've used more of Amelia's eggs, she lays everyday, but I love to keep the pastels.
Good girls!! I'm about the same. 8/10 eggs most days. I use the blue ones and dark ones last. LOL! And got a second egg customer! Woohoo! I don't know what else to do with all these eggs. Somebody needs to start posting egg recipes ;)

Good girls!! I'm about the same. 8/10 eggs most days. I use the blue ones and dark ones last. LOL! And got a second egg customer! Woohoo! I don't know what else to do with all these eggs. Somebody needs to start posting egg recipes
wink.png
I need to get more creative with egg recipes too. Is it sad that I've never made a quiche or a strata? My defaults are overeasy, omlette or deviled. This morning I fried two eggs and served them over chorizo corn hash, which was more like chili last night but decidedly hash this morning. Our neighbors will always take them but when we do end up with extras the husband likes to make brownies :)

I need to get more creative with egg recipes too.  Is it sad that I've never made a quiche or a strata?  My defaults are overeasy, omlette or deviled.  This morning I fried two eggs and served them over chorizo corn hash, which was more like chili last night but decidedly hash this morning.  Our neighbors will always take them but when we do end up with extras the husband likes to make brownies :) 

LOL! It's so funny to have too many eggs. I made my first quiche right after my first girls started laying, before I could ever full my skelter. I boil a lot of eggs now and have resorted to egg salad for lunch the past few days. It's time to mix it up. Oh I used to make this thing where you hollow out a tomato, crack the egg into it with some cheese and seasonings, and bake until the egg sets. Yummy.

Back
Top Bottom