Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

We got our 6 replacement polish chicks yesterday. 1 was nearly DOA (although it took her a couple hours to finally die), 1 was REALLY tiny and weak, the other 4 looked active and started eating/drinking/exploring their brooder. Woke up this morning at the little one and one of the active ones were both dead. Didn't expect the active one to die at all. The remaining 3 are doing good so far. I'm never doing polish again!

The chicks are adorable! Did they all arrive safe and healthy?
I'm not great with ID'ing chicks but any with green legs would be EE's right? And yes, a few of those look like my white cochin but with a couple spots on the head so maybe mottled.

Bigger and redder at this age is a good thing!!! They're almost 17 weeks old... maybe soon :)
So true, that is a good thing. They seem to be so much more fussy each day too. Any day now!!! I wish it would stop raining, it looks like we will have rain here for another week according to the forecast. Crazy weather! The run is so muddy and getting worse! Now we have flood warnings too. Well maybe being cooped up in the coop
smile.png
will force them to check out those nest boxes and maybe lay an egg or two in them?
wink.png

We got our 6 replacement polish chicks yesterday. 1 was nearly DOA (although it took her a couple hours to finally die), 1 was REALLY tiny and weak, the other 4 looked active and started eating/drinking/exploring their brooder. Woke up this morning at the little one and one of the active ones were both dead. Didn't expect the active one to die at all. The remaining 3 are doing good so far. I'm never doing polish again!
I am sorry about your losses, we were so upset when our 1st one did not survive after a couple days of having her in our 1st order, they are much harder to keep alive.

Our new chick replacement in our 2nd order is so much fun though and so cute!! I'll still order some again in the future, but I'll try to look for a more local source because of the shipping stress. Here are pics of mine from yesterday. Adorable!! I hope your other ones make it and thrive and I hope you can post pics of them and their beautiful hairdos in the future. What kind of polish do you have? I may be behind on this, but you mentioned they were replacements, did you lose other ones earlier on?

Quote:
We ordered 18 polish on the first order we got 2 weeks ago. 12 of those survived. We're going to need them to send 4 more replacements. Hopefully we can get at least 3 of those to survive.
We have tried everything I can find. We never had a chick die before we got our first 4 polish from a feed store a few months ago (none of them survived). I wish there was a breeder near us, but I've only seen one and I saw his birds, I don't really want to buy from him.

The chicks we have are silver, buff, white crested black, white crested blue, and a splash. We are keeping a silver, buff, wcb, and the splash. A friend of ours took 3 and we'll sell the rest.

Here's a couple pics when the first batch was about a week old. Most of them now have a head full of pin feathers. I'll take more pics soon. They are in that ugly stage, but still cute!
White Crested Blacks - the one in front survived but not the one in back

Our Splash

- the silvers - these are all still alive (we are keeping the blurry one)

our buffs - all still alive. we aren't keeping any of these, but plan to keep a buff from the younger group

the white crested blue

Here are some of my Meyer babies, back in April. An EE.

A white silkie.

A barred rock.

The silkie and the EE a week and a half ago. Isn't the silkie adorable!

Crazy weather! The run is so muddy and getting worse! Now we have flood warnings too. Well maybe being cooped up in the coop
smile.png
will force them to check out those nest boxes and maybe lay an egg or two in them?
wink.png

We're getting your weather now! Tons of rain and flood warnings and now high winds. I hate the winds. I have humungous trees and am so afraid one will fall on the coop/run.
Luckily my run is 3/4 covered by a roof so they are staying dry. They don't want to go in the coop on rainy days because it's dark in there!!
This chick is so cute!!! Does she get picked on because of her hairdo? Wondering if the others are jealous. hehe

I have one of their black frizzle Cochin babies right now, but he doesn't appear to have inherited the frizzle gene. His name is Po, he's 25 days old in these pictures (26 days old today) :

We ordered 18 polish on the first order we got 2 weeks ago. 12 of those survived. We're going to need them to send 4 more replacements. Hopefully we can get at least 3 of those to survive.
We have tried everything I can find. We never had a chick die before we got our first 4 polish from a feed store a few months ago (none of them survived). I wish there was a breeder near us, but I've only seen one and I saw his birds, I don't really want to buy from him.

The chicks we have are silver, buff, white crested black, white crested blue, and a splash. We are keeping a silver, buff, wcb, and the splash. A friend of ours took 3 and we'll sell the rest.

Here's a couple pics when the first batch was about a week old. Most of them now have a head full of pin feathers. I'll take more pics soon. They are in that ugly stage, but still cute!
White Crested Blacks - the one in front survived but not the one in back

Our Splash

- the silvers - these are all still alive (we are keeping the blurry one)

our buffs - all still alive. we aren't keeping any of these, but plan to keep a buff from the younger group

the white crested blue
They are so adorable, thanks for sharing! You have a large variety of colors too. I'd love to see these once they are out of their ugly stage. I never really notice the ugly stage with mine, but maybe I am just used to them since I see them each day.

Edited to say: you may have posted these before, but I must have missed them or it's the memory, not so young anymore.
roll.png

Last edited:
Here are some of my Meyer babies, back in April. An EE.

A white silkie.

A barred rock.

The silkie and the EE a week and a half ago. Isn't the silkie adorable!
They are all so cute. That is an adorable silkie. I don't think I'll have one of those for awhile, my DH is just getting used to my funny Golden Laced Polish. One step at a time. Maybe when I am a grandmother I'll get some. Hoping to be one in the next few years.

We're getting your weather now! Tons of rain and flood warnings and now high winds. I hate the winds. I have humungous trees and am so afraid one will fall on the coop/run.
Luckily my run is 3/4 covered by a roof so they are staying dry. They don't want to go in the coop on rainy days because it's dark in there!!
This chick is so cute!!! Does she get picked on because of her hairdo? Wondering if the others are jealous. hehe
Yeah it is crazy, the weather that is, tropical storm Andrea I think. We've had a few small limbs fall on the coop, nothing bad though, it does scare the chickens since the coop is metal, so it makes a loud noise. Over the weekend we covered about a 1/3 of the run and I am so glad we did before the rain started. They still have an outside area to stay dry and I keep their food and water there too.

With Zorro the other chicks don't seem to notice her hairdo, the big ones just notice that there are 6 little chicks running around, so they are all still chased, but they don't seem to pick on Zorro and her poofy head more then the others. They are getting so big, my new white rock Daisy goes around the big chicks more because I think they confuse her with my White Leghorn because she is almost the size of Snow now. I mistake her for Snow all the time too when I look out at them. It is so much fun to watch them sneak out while the big ones are not looking and then be chased back in the run. Just like little kids getting into trouble.
smile.png

I have one of their black frizzle Cochin babies right now, but he doesn't appear to have inherited the frizzle gene. His name is Po, he's 25 days old in these pictures (26 days old today) :

Po is such a cute little guy. You sure Po is a he, I guess because of that comb, right?

Back
Top Bottom