Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

One lonely little brown egg...
Luckily I caught her in the nest box this morning, and waited around for her to lay, so I could get it quick before it froze. It is 9 degrees outside!

Can't wait to see the basket full, although they seem to get used up before we ever get to that point...

In this photo, the large white egg is a ceramic one I have in there to keep the girls laying in the nest. The brown one is from my black copper maran, the small white one is from my black silkie, the small tan one is from my splash silkie, and the green one is the first egg from my easter egger! All these girls are from Meyer.

Here's an up close shot of the 4 eggs. I love my maran eggs because they are speckled.

Beautiful! I love your Maran egg!

Can my girls be molting?? At 21weeks?? There are so many feathers. Is it a regular replacement of feathers at their age or an actual molt? People seem to agree that chickens don't molt the first year. I am just not sure.

[/quote] In this photo, the large white egg is a ceramic one I have in there to keep the girls laying in the nest. The brown one is from my black copper maran, the small white one is from my black silkie, the small tan one is from my splash silkie, and the green one is the first egg from my easter egger! All these girls are from Meyer. Here's an up close shot of the 4 eggs. I love my maran eggs because they are speckled. [/quote] JEALOUS^

One lonely little brown egg...
Luckily I caught her in the nest box this morning, and waited around for her to lay, so I could get it quick before it froze. It is 9 degrees outside!

Can't wait to see the basket full, although they seem to get used up before we ever get to that point...
Cute red basket! How many chickens do you have?
I see you're in Lancaster, I'm outside of Philly. I love Lancaster. Are you near Shady Maple?? LOVE LOVE that place but boy it's dangerous going there with all that yummy food
wink.png

Can my girls be molting?? At 21weeks?? There are so many feathers. Is it a regular replacement of feathers at their age or an actual molt? People seem to agree that chickens don't molt the first year. I am just not sure.
I don't think my girls read the book about not molting the first year! Some had a mini-molt in the fall to beginning of winter and they were only 7-8 months old. I couldn't notice they were molting by looking at them but there were lots of feathers all over the run. And Izzy my EE looks different after her molt than before. Much more salmon in her face and chest. I'm going to get new pics one of these days when it's not freakin' 12 degrees outside!

I know I thought the same thing about their instincts. She was outside with them for over a year and never touched them then all of a sudden she decided she could attack them.
hmm.png
I wouldn't think an adorable corgi could hurt them though
smile.png
I just love those short legs
Corgis are awesome! Not a single complaint. Ours is going on 10 yrs. old and we're thinking about getting another. Short little legs but he hikes anywhere from 1-8 miles a day!!
And my corgi is scared of the chickens, still :) He was scared of them when they were 3 days old I would bring them to him to show him and he'd whine and run away
lau.gif
Although sometimes he licked his lips I think because they reminded him of his squeaky toys he used to have before I had to throw them all out due to his pulling out all the squeakers and eating them.

Mona scratched herself and scratched a hole in her exposed crop. All her food and water are leaking out now. DH tried to super glue it but it came back open. He said he had to super glue it again and then added 3 stitches. They took her food and water away for the evening so it can have a chance to heal a little. I read a thread on here of a chicken that had half of it's breast muscle and half of it's crop ripped off. They super glued it back together and it lived! So I'm confident the little hole will be ok.
Luckily this isn't our favorite chicken so if she doesn't make it we won't be overly devastated. Not that we won't be sad but it won't be like losing one of our favorites.

My poor husband! He doesn't like doing any of this kind of stuff, the animals are my thing and all the crap usually happens when I'm gone. I can't even list the "emergencies" he has had to handle when I've been gone.

Mona scratched herself and scratched a hole in her exposed crop. All her food and water are leaking out now. DH tried to super glue it but it came back open. He said he had to super glue it again and then added 3 stitches. They took her food and water away for the evening so it can have a chance to heal a little. I read a thread on here of a chicken that had half of it's breast muscle and half of it's crop ripped off. They super glued it back together and it lived! So I'm confident the little hole will be ok. 
Luckily this isn't our favorite chicken so if she doesn't make it we won't be overly devastated. Not that we won't be sad but it won't be like losing one of our favorites.

My poor husband! He doesn't like doing any of this kind of stuff, the animals are my thing and all the crap usually happens when I'm gone. I can't even list the "emergencies" he has had to handle when I've been gone. 

Oh my! She just scratched herself? I never heard that! Oh boy hopefully that doesn't happen I would be freaked out if they were seeping and I didn't know what in the world happened!

Back
Top Bottom