Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

How long will my eggs keep at room temp in my new beautiful skelter? I read a week one place and three months somewhere else. Aahhhh!

There was a study done awhile ago that said 2 months and the eggs were fine, just a little runnier. I say a month is fine. After that I say to refrigerate just to keep them from getting runnier. None of the farm eggs in the study developed bacteria on the counter even after months so it's not about safety but aesthetics. (at least in that study)

There was a study done awhile ago that said 2 months and the eggs were fine, just a little runnier. I say a month is fine. After that I say to refrigerate just to keep them from getting runnier. None of the farm eggs in the study developed bacteria on the counter even after months so it's not about safety but aesthetics. (at least in that study)

I've read 1 month

I'm so glad you both say the same thing! What a relief! Thank you

Wow, that's amazing!!! You have to document with pics. Get plenty of 'before' pics and keep us posted... you know we all understand! How much land do you have? It looks like a lot and it's so green and pretty in the last pic.
That picture was a picture from the summer, so it is very brown now. We have an acre of land. We can have 20 chickens put acre, so that's why I am trying to stay under that minimum. I think that I can't count my Polish, Buffy right since she is yard decoration and will not lay many eggs and Daisy the White Rock shouldn't be counted either since we're always thinking about getting rid of her.
big_smile.png
So 20 it is!!!

Well, my husband and I cleaned out our storage sheds, we have two and the garage and are getting rid of and throwing away stuff. We completely cleaned out the little shed that we plan to use for the coop and it is 10 by 12, not 8 by 12, so they'll have so much more room, plus it is 9 feet tall. No more hitting my head on the door when I go into the little metal coop their in now. I'm afraid I am getting my hopes up and for some reason it will not work out. We're going to try to meet with them and talk to them tomorrow.
fl.gif

I'm so bummed, one of the chicks we lost was a sultan. It was wobbly and uninterested in water/food from the start so it wasn't a surprise but I was really pulling for her because I wanted to watch her grow. She was one we were going to keep for awhile before selling.

I was going to order another but they're sold out for the season. Maybe I'll tell Meyer I'm really looking for one in case they have 1 extra when we get to order our replacements.
Speaking of replacements, I mentioned in front of my husband that they have a 15 chick minimum right now and instantly he said, "NO!". So I guess I'll be waiting until April to get my replacement.

I candled the 27 eggs in the bator today. All of the silkie eggs are developing and we had 4 bad ones out of the mixed 12. 2 of those had cracks in them so those weren't a surprise, 1 was clear so I think it was infertile, and the other was a blood ring.

I'm very excited about all the silkies being good and the one bantam cochin (mille fleur) egg we have.
So sorry. April is not far away. Have you thought about doing the Easter hatch? Sounds like fun, I am trying to follow it to learn about hatching. It is fun to see what people are hatching and learn from their mistakes. I'm sure when I start I will make quite a few mistakes of my own, but just to prepare for the future I am following.

My husband would be the same. I am surprised that he came up with the idea to clean the shed out today to make sure it'll work for the chickens. I put on my jacket, hat and shoes so fast when he told me what he wanted to do today.

Ok, question: when will these girls start a regular laying schedule? Or am I asking too much? I got one egg today
sad.png
Ok, so it hasn't even been two weeks since my first egg, but it's just so much fun to collect eggs!!
They'll be slow for the first few weeks and then slowly pick up. At least mine did. If they're like mine they will make a lot of fuss while laying eggs too and sometimes make a lot of fuss and not lay an egg. Hang in there, you'll be filling up your skelter in no time!

That picture was a picture from the summer, so it is very brown now. We have an acre of land. We can have 20 chickens put acre, so that's why I am trying to stay under that minimum. I think that I can't count my Polish, Buffy right since she is yard decoration and will not lay many eggs and Daisy the White Rock shouldn't be counted either since we're always thinking about getting rid of her.
big_smile.png
So 20 it is!!!

Well, my husband and I cleaned out our storage sheds, we have two and the garage and are getting rid of and throwing away stuff. We completely cleaned out the little shed that we plan to use for the coop and it is 10 by 12, not 8 by 12, so they'll have so much more room, plus it is 9 feet tall. No more hitting my head on the door when I go into the little metal coop their in now. I'm afraid I am getting my hopes up and for some reason it will not work out. We're going to try to meet with them and talk to them tomorrow.
fl.gif

So sorry. April is not far away. Have you thought about doing the Easter hatch? Sounds like fun, I am trying to follow it to learn about hatching. It is fun to see what people are hatching and learn from their mistakes. I'm sure when I start I will make quite a few mistakes of my own, but just to prepare for the future I am following.

My husband would be the same. I am surprised that he came up with the idea to clean the shed out today to make sure it'll work for the chickens. I put on my jacket, hat and shoes so fast when he told me what he wanted to do today.

They'll be slow for the first few weeks and then slowly pick up. At least mine did. If they're like mine they will make a lot of fuss while laying eggs too and sometimes make a lot of fuss and not lay an egg. Hang in there, you'll be filling up your skelter in no time!

I haven't decided if I'm doing the hatch along. I think I'll wait and see how this hatch goes. If I get a good result then maybe I'll do it again. I'm definitely not going to ship eggs though. Maybe if I can find some breeds we are interested in. Definitely don't spend a lot of money on your first set of eggs. It takes awhile to get everything working just right.

I haven't decided if I'm doing the hatch along. I think I'll wait and see how this hatch goes. If I get a good result then maybe I'll do it again. I'm definitely not going to ship eggs though. Maybe if I can find some breeds we are interested in. Definitely don't spend a lot of money on your first set of eggs. It takes awhile to get everything working just right.
It'll be a couple years for me before I attempt hatching, but I hope by the time I do I will have figured out where I can find some locally. It scares me to spend money on hatching eggs and having them not hatch.

I just got to day 10! So, basically, halfway there! Hatching some Buff Orpington, mixes for my sweety's coworker, and some Bantam Chocolate Oprington! My 1st bantams. Hope a decent hatch, I paid a fortune for those eggs! Lol

It'll be a couple years for me before I attempt hatching, but I hope by the time I do I will have figured out where I can find some locally. It scares me to spend money on hatching eggs and having them not hatch.

I wish I hadn't done shipped eggs the first hatch. But I just couldn't wait.

I am going to try my first hatch. I ordered a few eggs from Meyer but I need to find a few more. I'm way too excited to hatch.

Keep us posted. I'd love to hear how the Meyer eggs do. What did you order?

I am hatching right now, have some OE eggs and Black and Blue Copper Marans eggs set. Today is day 7, going to be candling tonight :D

We have 2 Copper Maran eggs set. It's hard to tell if they are coming along or not yet. We are at day 8. Keep us posted on your progress!

Back
Top Bottom