Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

My chicks are 3 weeks today! :) I forgot how quickly they grow, they aren't little balls of fluff anymore! I ordered 18, 15 of those survived. I ordered mostly from the assorted packs so I am still trying to figure breeds out.

White Cochin

Blue Splash Maran

Buff Laced Polish

Blue Ameraucana

Not sure

Not sure, but thinking it's different breed than the ones above because the legs are darker.

I did order a male black copper maran, but this one does not have any feathered legs and I had another chick the same color that was a DOA.

Rhode Island Red? I don't know, they seem to have a lot more coloring on their feathers than what I see on Meyer's website.

This one could be the same as the above, but is the runt of the litter as it had an injured leg and couldn't walk for 5 days. All healed now!

No idea.

No idea.

No idea.

My chicks are 3 weeks today! :) I forgot how quickly they grow, they aren't little balls of fluff anymore! I ordered 18, 15 of those survived. I ordered mostly from the assorted packs so I am still trying to figure breeds out. White Cochin Blue Splash Maran Buff Laced Polish Blue Ameraucana Not sure Not sure, but thinking it's different breed than the ones above because the legs are darker. I did order a male black copper maran, but this one does not have any feathered legs and I had another chick the same color that was a DOA. Rhode Island Red? I don't know, they seem to have a lot more coloring on their feathers than what I see on Meyer's website. This one could be the same as the above, but is the runt of the litter as it had an injured leg and couldn't walk for 5 days. All healed now! No idea. No idea. No idea.
Can't believe how big they are at 3 weeks! Starting to go through that awkward teenage stage. They're still adorable, though! Sorry that I can't help you ID them.

When you say you plan to do it the kosher way are you just referring to using a knife and the killing method? Or are you talking about an actual all out kosher process? I knew they used a sharp knife supposedly for the respect of the animal, but then to read that due to a mark on the lung meaning there could be an abscess, only about 30% of animals slaughtered actually get eaten shows the opposite of respecting an animal's life if you ask me! I think if you kill it and the it is edible you owe that animal to eat it. They also don't eat the hindquarter of the animal because there are too many veins and nerves and fat to pull out first. Again seems wasteful to only eat half of the animal. IMHO that is.

Having read a lot of experiences I think if we ever do it again we'll make a killing cone (I've seen them done out of traffic cones). Those hold it nice and calm so it isn't stressed.

I'm sorry you lost your splash. We lost a ton of chicks from Meyer every time we ordered from them. I think the change in altitude and cold here doesn't do well for them. So far the 8 we hatched ourselves are doing well. Only one pasty butt and only once. We aren't out of danger yet but I think it's a good sign we haven't lost any yet.
fl.gif
Yeah, more the killing method, not the whole process. I am just referring to a sharp knife and quick end. Also, I believe in a prayer and thanking the animal for the sacrifice no matter what religion or belief system anyone has or does not have. I don't believe in wasting any of the meat unless of course the chicken is very sick and there would be a question whether it is safe to eat or not. I had not read further into the whole kosher process that you mentioned. Looks like we'll also be getting a traffic cone to use.

My chicks are 3 weeks today! :) I forgot how quickly they grow, they aren't little balls of fluff anymore! I ordered 18, 15 of those survived. I ordered mostly from the assorted packs so I am still trying to figure breeds out.

White Cochin

Blue Splash Maran

Buff Laced Polish

Blue Ameraucana

Not sure

Not sure, but thinking it's different breed than the ones above because the legs are darker.

I did order a male black copper maran, but this one does not have any feathered legs and I had another chick the same color that was a DOA.

Rhode Island Red? I don't know, they seem to have a lot more coloring on their feathers than what I see on Meyer's website.

This one could be the same as the above, but is the runt of the litter as it had an injured leg and couldn't walk for 5 days. All healed now!

No idea.

No idea.

No idea.
Primaknits, I know I have your chicks sisters here at my house lol! Mine are 3 weeks old as well and I have some of the very same chicks. I have been talking with Meyer asking for help ID'ing these last 11 chicks because I just can't figure what are my Speckled Sussex, Welsummers, Barnevelders, and RIR's. I also have two extras in that bunch so it's super confusing. It's funny though, because I haven't had much time to get on this site, but when I got on here just now and saw your pics, I thought, oh my gosh, those are MY chicks!! I'm getting ready to post my pics in a few minutes.
Oh, the black and white chicks in the same pic, from what I can tell, it looks like an Exchequer Leghorn on the left and an Ancona on the right. I ordered both. The Anconas love to be up high high high. Very sweet though. And the black and white chick in the pic below them, I have one just like yours, but we have no idea either! We didn't order anything else that is even close to this little chick but it sure is pretty.
Okay, my pics are are group pics, but I think you'll be able to see the similarities!

Primaknits, I love the variety you got in your order. Those feathery legs on the Cochin are the cutest! As for breeds, after the RIR I see a partridge rock, then a brown leghorn, and the last one I'm not sure on and I can't tell what kind of comb it has.

Oh and I think the silver and black one after the Ancona and Exchequer leghorn is a silver spangled hamburg. Hamburgs should have rose combs.

Last edited:
All 33 of my Meyer babies are doing good and growing like crazy. I have pics of 11 of them to post to see if anyone can help ID them. I'm still having trouble deciding who are my 3 Welsummers, 2 Barnevelders, 3 Speckled Sussex, and 2 RIR's. I have the twins of Primaknits chicks!

I have one of this one. Just one lol.

I have three that look like this one below. When they were day-old chicks, they looked exactly like the pics of the Speckled Sussex chicks in the Meyer catalog. I think Welsummers have the eye mask too though. The white breast feathers are confusing me.

Here is the whole crew. I have two groups of three. I have a set of three, just like Primaknits, of the reddish chicks with white tips, and dark red feathers coming in (one of which is sitting on the roost in the pic). I only ordered two RIR's if that's what they are. I've never seen any quite like this.

Another chick I don't recognize.

Any ideas??

All 33 of my Meyer babies are doing good and growing like crazy. I have pics of 11 of them to post to see if anyone can help ID them. I'm still having trouble deciding who are my 3 Welsummers, 2 Barnevelders, 3 Speckled Sussex, and 2 RIR's. I have the twins of Primaknits chicks!

I have one of this one. Just one lol.

I have three that look like this one below. When they were day-old chicks, they looked exactly like the pics of the Speckled Sussex chicks in the Meyer catalog. I think Welsummers have the eye mask too though. The white breast feathers are confusing me.

Here is the whole crew. I have two groups of three. I have a set of three, just like Primaknits, of the reddish chicks with white tips, and dark red feathers coming in (one of which is sitting on the roost in the pic). I only ordered two RIR's if that's what they are. I've never seen any quite like this.

Another chick I don't recognize.

Any ideas??

Cute! They do look the same as mine! Well when one of us gets it figured out than the other will know as well. :)

If this makes any sense, my Blue Ameraucana looks like it has the same type of comb as this one below. They both have one that is very, very flat. All the rest of my birds look like they have single combs.

If this makes any sense, my Blue Ameraucana looks like it has the same type of comb as this one below. They both have one that is very, very flat. All the rest of my birds look like they have single combs.
If it has a pea comb, than it has to be a dark Cornish. I wouldn't have thought that they would feather in so light. Oh and the silver/black chick could also be a Lakenvelder if it has a single comb. I had both a Lakenvelder and a Hamburg in my last pullet order and I found it a little difficult to tell between them until I saw their combs.

I can't believe it. Olive is starting to look like her old self. She was doing normal chicken stuff. She was walking like a chicken and brushing her beak on the ground. I think the vitamins and electrolytes are helping her mood. I'm still concerned but feeling a little better.

I can't believe it. Olive is starting to look like her old self. She was doing normal chicken stuff. She was walking like a chicken and brushing her beak on the ground. I think the vitamins and electrolytes are helping her mood. I'm still concerned but feeling a little better.

Awesome!! I hope she continues to improve!!!

Back
Top Bottom