Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Well we live on the beef farm that my husband works for, so its not *technically* my farm but there are about 300 acres behind the house, about 10 acres of that is grass filter strips that I can use. I have put the chickens out after the wheat crop was taken off in July. My hubby is going to plant oats for me in the one 5 acre field for the chickens :)

Yes, I SWEAR by the electric net fence. We live 2 miles from a decent sized river so there are raccoons, opossum, skunks (really bad the last 2 years), fox, weasel/mink, coyotes, wild cats and free roaming dogs. We also have hawks but mostly they only watch the flock when they are really hungry late winter and I've had a few attacks last fall. I use a solar charger for the fence so I can take it anywhere. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, and yes it is very rewarding, especially to have enough to share with my family and friends.

How much did you get the netting for?

Okay, here are pictures of my current meat chickens, I have the CornishX broilers and Freedom Rangers. Healthy humanely raised meat. I also started butchering myself since I was not happy with the treatment of my birds at the packers place.

And of course the finished product :)

Beautiful! Do you have a preference in birds? Where did you get them? Are they really messier than layers? I really want to try this! How about the butchering process? I'm still a little worried about that part.

My 7 week olds are my first birds, but, raising broilers is something that I would like to work up to! We eat a lot of chicken and it would be great to know exactly where they came from and how they were raised! I hope you try it so I can learn from you! :caf

Anyone ever get started pullets from Meyer? I really want Easter Eggers but I don't know that I want to do the chick thing so soon. I could get 2 Easter Eggers at 16-20 weeks old around the time my little ones turn 10 weeks. Do you think they would integrate well?
I'm with you two. Just now getting our first laying flock and already have a group of cornish cx on order for August :)

How much did you get the netting for?

I bought both fences for $180 each from FarmTek, the current price is $195 each. I've used them for 2 and 3 years now.

Beautiful! Do you have a preference in birds? Where did you get them? Are they really messier than layers? I really want to try this! How about the butchering process? I'm still a little worried about that part.

This is my first batch of FRs, but the CXs taste so much better than the bland grocery store chicken. I am looking forward to eating our first FR, they should be ready to go in another week. I always get my CX from Meyer , they have the best price and the best customer service. I have had a few losses with the current batch of CX, I've never had that problem before so I am blaming the super cold spring we are having. I've never lost more than 2 in any of the batches I've raised previously. I've lost 4 ( complete loss) and I had to butcher 2 early because I noticed them declining. Absolutely no losses with the FR so far.
Meaties are much messier than layers, just for the fact that their food intake is so high. They go through tons of water too. I like the tractor because I don't have to clean it, just drag it to fresh grass. If you have hawks, you can always just leave them in the hoop and move it every day, I've done that too.
Butchering doesn't bother me a bit, actually I look forward to filling my freezer with something I grew myself. The process isn't hard or unpleasant at all, it is better to have a set plan in your head to make things go as smooth as possible. You only need a few thing: a VERY sharp knife is the most important. It helps to have a cone to restrain the bird. A skalding tank/barrel is a necessity if you want to pluck, which is actually easier than skinning IMO. I actually learned how to butcher chickens from Joel Salatin's YouTube videos :) I'm a self taught farm girl, I wasn't raised that way. I also love the book Butchering (poultry rabbit lamb goat pork) by Adam Danforth, that book is worth every penny!

I bought both fences for $180 each from FarmTek, the current price is $195 each. I've used them for 2 and 3 years now.
This is my first batch of FRs, but the CXs taste so much better than the bland grocery store chicken. I am looking forward to eating our first FR, they should be ready to go in another week. I always get my CX from Meyer , they have the best price and the best customer service. I have had a few losses with the current batch of CX, I've never had that problem before so I am blaming the super cold spring we are having. I've never lost more than 2 in any of the batches I've raised previously. I've lost 4 ( complete loss) and I had to butcher 2 early because I noticed them declining. Absolutely no losses with the FR so far.
Meaties are much messier than layers, just for the fact that their food intake is so high. They go through tons of water too. I like the tractor because I don't have to clean it, just drag it to fresh grass. If you have hawks, you can always just leave them in the hoop and move it every day, I've done that too.
Butchering doesn't bother me a bit, actually I look forward to filling my freezer with something I grew myself. The process isn't hard or unpleasant at all, it is better to have a set plan in your head to make things go as smooth as possible. You only need a few thing: a VERY sharp knife is the most important. It helps to have a cone to restrain the bird. A skalding tank/barrel is a necessity if you want to pluck, which is actually easier than skinning IMO. I actually learned how to butcher chickens from Joel Salatin's YouTube videos
smile.png
I'm a self taught farm girl, I wasn't raised that way. I also love the book Butchering (poultry rabbit lamb goat pork) by Adam Danforth, that book is worth every penny!
good to know
thumbsup.gif

Butchering doesn't bother me a bit, actually I look forward to filling my freezer with something I grew myself. The process isn't hard or unpleasant at all, it is better to have a set plan in your head to make things go as smooth as possible. You only need a few thing: a VERY sharp knife is the most important. It helps to have a cone to restrain the bird. A skalding tank/barrel is a necessity if you want to pluck, which is actually easier than skinning IMO. I actually learned how to butcher chickens from Joel Salatin's YouTube videos :) I'm a self taught farm girl, I wasn't raised that way. I also love the book Butchering (poultry rabbit lamb goat pork) by Adam Danforth, that book is worth every penny!

Great tips!! I will definitely look into those resources when I'm ready!!

Has anybody tried raising meat birds? I've read so much about it, but am still on the fence about it.
This is something we're interested in doing in the near future too.

I started raising meat birds in addition to my laying flock two years ago. Last year, I raised 175 birds. This year, I hope to raise over 200 total, in batches of 25-50 birds. I don't support any factory farms anymore, unless we eat out at a restaurant of course. I raise all my own chicken, lamb, and beef (we don't eat pork since I'm allergic). I free range my meaties after they are feathered enough to tolerate the weather (usually 2-3 weeks) and I only raise them in the spring/summer/fall.
Nice setup and good looking birds. I envy you!

Anyone ever get started pullets from Meyer? I really want Easter Eggers but I don't know that I want to do the chick thing so soon. I could get 2 Easter Eggers at 16-20 weeks old around the time my little ones turn 10 weeks. Do you think they would integrate well?
I have never gotten started pullets, but I have integrated different aged ones. I think Nancy mentioned about letting them see each other for awhile, together but separate kind of setup. I separated mine in the coop and run and after a few weeks let the younger ones sneak in when they felt ready. I had it setup so the younger ones had places to run away from the bigger hens if necessary. Smaller holes in the fences for a safe area that the big girls could not get into. If yours are closer to the same age and size when integrated you may not have as much of a problem. Introducing a group of younger ones is better then just a few too.

Well we live on the beef farm that my husband works for, so its not *technically* my farm but there are about 300 acres behind the house, about 10 acres of that is grass filter strips that I can use. I have put the chickens out after the wheat crop was taken off in July. My hubby is going to plant oats for me in the one 5 acre field for the chickens :)

Yes, I SWEAR by the electric net fence. We live 2 miles from a decent sized river so there are raccoons, opossum, skunks (really bad the last 2 years), fox, weasel/mink, coyotes, wild cats and free roaming dogs. We also have hawks but mostly they only watch the flock when they are really hungry late winter and I've had a few attacks last fall. I use a solar charger for the fence so I can take it anywhere. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, and yes it is very rewarding, especially to have enough to share with my family and friends.
So nice to have so many acres even if it is not technically yours.

I really want to get some electric net fencing soon too. We'll have a fenced in backyard soon but we need to separate our chickens from our dog. Right now our plan is to free range the chickens some during the day and let the dog lose at night once the chickens are put up. We are so concerned our dog will try to chase and kill our chickens.

Great questions.

I'm with you two. Just now getting our first laying flock and already have a group of cornish cx on order for August
smile.png
You're fast and brave!

Butchering doesn't bother me a bit, actually I look forward to filling my freezer with something I grew myself. The process isn't hard or unpleasant at all, it is better to have a set plan in your head to make things go as smooth as possible. You only need a few thing: a VERY sharp knife is the most important. It helps to have a cone to restrain the bird. A skalding tank/barrel is a necessity if you want to pluck, which is actually easier than skinning IMO. I actually learned how to butcher chickens from Joel Salatin's YouTube videos
smile.png
I'm a self taught farm girl, I wasn't raised that way. I also love the book Butchering (poultry rabbit lamb goat pork) by Adam Danforth, that book is worth every penny!
Thanks for all this info, I'll be checking these out too. Can't wait to hear how the Freedom Rangers taste compared to the CX. We've been thinking about getting them instead of the CX when we get some. It'd be great to hear your comparison.

We might possibly butcher a few Freedom Rangers with some CornishX roosters this weekend, I need to weigh them first to make sure they are big enough though. I want to keep the hanging weights around 4-6 lbs. I'll be sure to post weights, pictures, and any important observations.

We might possibly butcher a few Freedom Rangers with some CornishX roosters this weekend, I need to weigh them first to make sure they are big enough though. I want to keep the hanging weights around 4-6 lbs. I'll be sure to post weights, pictures, and any important observations.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am curious about the taste difference between the two birds. I think it was the CX that had a min of 25 birds. I am def not ready for that many. I like the the FR are not like that. I am thinking that I would like to try a few at first and see how much more work it is before I commit to so many. Thanks again. Keep us updated.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am curious about the taste difference between the two birds. I think it was the CX that had a min of 25 birds. I am def not ready for that many. I like the the FR are not like that. I am thinking that I would like to try a few at first and see how much more work it is before I commit to so many. Thanks again. Keep us updated.

No problem :)
However, its the Red Rangers (Freedom Rangers) not the CornishX that has the min order of 25. Meyer hatches the CX at their place while their Red Rangers are shipped from a different location. I -believe- that they ship out actual Freedom Rangers from the Freedom Ranger Hatchery in Pennsylvania, but I have not called to confirm that.

Back
Top Bottom