Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Thoughts on Buff Orpingtons? Too broody?
I have 2 from Meyers and I adore them! They are only 7 months though, so no experience on the broodiness. I think as a breed they are considered fairly broody, but most hatchery lines have that bred out a little, so it's not as strong.
One of them follows me around like a puppy EVERY time I go outside, and she'll sit by me.
Sometimes that's a curse...I was sitting on the porch watching them free range yesterday evening and the little stinker kept trying to drink my tea. Got a few beakfuls...lol

Thoughts on Buff Orpingtons? Too broody?

I have 5 buff orps and they are just over a year old. 2 of them have gone broody
hmm.png
. The first one I let her hatch eggs and the second one just went broody. I don't know if I want to let this one hatch any out since it is getting closer to fall.

I wanted to share some updates on my babies. Not all the chicks cooperated with the photo session tonight... Some of these are from Meyer, a couple are not.

Belle - GL Polish. the Polish are at their very ackward stage with their "do"s right now!

Collette - BC Marans. I'm really hoping that she isn't a roo. I see a comb and the bare start of waddles. But compared to pics of other BC Marans of her age, they are comparable. Fingers crossed.

Doc McCluckins - bossy BO

Esmeralda - SL Polish with the wild hair. She is definitely the lowest on the pecking order & quite skittish.

Flora - Blue Orp...another that I'm concerned might be a roo...hoping just a bossy main momma

Gizmo being prim & proper. These last 2 are CCL - **From a private breeder**

Gidget - another CCL from a private breeder; she's my flier

Pippa - didn't want to keep her head still! But her feather pattern is beautiful, so I wanted to share!

Is it Friday yet?? We are ready to ROCK AND ROLL!!!

Not pictured: Coco aka Charlie and Brownie - Buff Silkies from a private breeder...they were being obnoxious & trying to peck everytime I picked them up. Also not pictured: Poppy - GLW, she kept flying off & messing up each picture!

The coop is almost ready for everyone to be in it. The run will be ready by the end of the month & I'm having a coop warming party!!!

I wanted to share some updates on my babies. Not all the chicks cooperated with the photo session tonight... Some of these are from Meyer, a couple are not. Belle - GL Polish. the Polish are at their very ackward stage with their "do"s right now! Collette - BC Marans. I'm really hoping that she isn't a roo. I see a comb and the bare start of waddles. But compared to pics of other BC Marans of her age, they are comparable. Fingers crossed. Doc McCluckins - bossy BO Esmeralda - SL Polish with the wild hair. She is definitely the lowest on the pecking order & quite skittish. Flora - Blue Orp...another that I'm concerned might be a roo...hoping just a bossy main momma Gizmo being prim & proper. These last 2 are CCL - **From a private breeder** Gidget - another CCL from a private breeder; she's my flier Pippa - didn't want to keep her head still! But her feather pattern is beautiful, so I wanted to share! Is it Friday yet?? We are ready to ROCK AND ROLL!!! Not pictured: Coco aka Charlie and Brownie - Buff Silkies from a private breeder...they were being obnoxious & trying to peck everytime I picked them up. Also not pictured: Poppy - GLW, she kept flying off & messing up each picture! The coop is almost ready for everyone to be in it. The run will be ready by the end of the month & I'm having a coop warming party!!!
I never liked polish, but I just love those two!!

I have the same question about Speckled Sussex... Broodies??

I love my 13 week old SS.. I survived a horrible 4 weeks thinking she was a mis sexed roo, but thankfully..no. Her comb sprung very early, but then it grew no further. I can clearly see she is a hen......Or at least I hope!

MB

So much to reply to I lost what I was going to say!

We have had numerous replacement orders with Meyer. I will not order from them again even though I like the birds that survive. It's just too hard to lose that many. I think it was because it was cold at night and I've read the altitude change can affect them also (we're at 6000ft+).

I love Polish! I can't wait for our SLP to molt. She burned half of her crest off this winter and her feathers are overall messy looking. Our D'Uccle is molting. Poor thing is nearly bald with no tail at all. At least she picked a good time of year! I'd like all the older girls to molt, then maybe it would cure the lice problem we keep battling.

Our little chicks are all doing well. So fun to have little ones around again. :)

Back
Top Bottom