Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Congrats to you and Georgie!  That is a very pretty speckled egg!  And you may never know her ink jets may just be firing up.  It took Morgaine a week or so to start laying nice dark ones.  And now we're on the eighth day of no eggs from her.  Sigh.  Mabel is so pretty!

Isn't it, though? :love I love it either way, but I'm eager to see if they get any darker as she gets going! :D

Are you sure that egg came from your maran? Welsummers lay dark spotted eggs, ive saw some that lay as dark as a maran.
Boy your Silver Gray Dorking IS cute!

Pretty sure, yes. She and Violet have been going nuts over the nests for the past day or two, and Georgette was screaming bloody murder from the nests earlier today. Though, granted, they have all been known to get emotional about the nest boxes for no apparent reason. :lol: Mabel hasn't even looked at the nests, except that she (and the rest of the pullets :rolleyes: ) sleeps on top of them or on the perches in front of them.

These two Dorkings have definitely made a good first impression on me for the breed! :love Love my Dorkings!

Edited because my brain shuts off at this time of night.

Last edited:
wherever she lays an egg put a board or container down in her spot especially if she picks the same spot. When mine first started I had one that would lay eggs under the roosts in the coop. I'd just put boards, wire shelves, bowls or anything to make that area less comfortable. I also made sure there were lots of fluffy shavings in the nest boxes and put the bird in the nest box just to show her. Do you also have plenty of nest boxes for them to share? Eventually she'll start using the nest box, especially if others are and if you block those areas of the run to make them less hospitable to her.

I thought it was just this week. I'd give her time. My Apricot laid in the middle of the run the first few times, then in both the run and box a couple times before going to the box every time.

X2 our second layer Amelia tried to lay her first egg from a high perch she was so nervous. I scooped her up and she laid on my lap. But the second egg she laid in the run when I wasn't there, the third and everyone thereafter she got in the nest box. She will get the hang of it especially when she sees other eggs laid there. If you catch her in the act or not long after you can scoop her up and the egg if its already laid, place it in the nest box and her in front of it to see where it goes. My girls never liked being put in the nest box though, made them more nervous. More egg and pullet pics please!
smile.png

I'm not at home during the day, so catching her while she lays is impossible for me :( BUT yesterday she laid in the box!!! Hopefully she is catching on! Now my CCL hasn't laid in 2 days, but the one that I think is laying doesn't show signs of being egg bound or anything, so hopefully it is just a new layer being irregular. Today I put fresh straw in the nest boxes & put some basil & rosemary to make them smell better/more inviting. My SL Polish is still going in/out frequently...hopefully she will finally lay!!!

I'm not at home during the day, so catching her while she lays is impossible for me :( BUT yesterday she laid in the box!!! Hopefully she is catching on! Now my CCL hasn't laid in 2 days, but the one that I think is laying doesn't show signs of being egg bound or anything, so hopefully it is just a new layer being irregular. Today I put fresh straw in the nest boxes & put some basil & rosemary to make them smell better/more inviting. My SL Polish is still going in/out frequently...hopefully she will finally lay!!!

Sounds like everything is going smoothly. It hard waiting for those eggs, but so rewarding!

I agree on our little Sweet Pea, I just came up with that name. She is small not bantam size but smaller than others. Any whoooo, I think she is a mutt hatchery chick maybe. I guess when I do the egg vent test thingy I will know for sure what color egg she lays. I agree that in my research I found that Barnelders lay dark eggs....

Also thanks on the info on the Brahma, I guess they would probably be a no go since we have snow and mud. We have to finish covering or roofing the run, for now I tarped. Since I did that the eggs are much cleaner.
SOP? Polish?

What's the vent test thing you mentioned?

Slightly, sort of off subject...but not really

I am a cub scout den leader & we are heading into pinewood derby time!

We just did a workshop today where we had some of the adults really into wood working, bring in their band saws & cut out the rough forms for our cars.

I am going to compete in the "no rules, no holds barred" adults section...and my car is going to be a chicken car of course!

So now the question is...what color scheme to paint it! I am going to get some sort of red clay or rubber like material to form a comb & some actual chicken feathers to attach out the back like a tail. But do I go "traditional" and do while & black? I could go black with gold...the sky is the limit!!

What are your ideas??

Thank you all for your input, I guess her breed is unknown, I am not sure what color of eggs a Barnevelder lays but hers are cream colored. She is one of the only really light eggs we get, we do get almost a white egg from one of our EE. The rainbow pack was fun to see grow up and turn into beautiful chickens. We got seven or possible eight different breeds from the pack, has allowed me to experience different breeds and pro's and con's of both.

I have a question about Brahama's for those that have them, what do you think of feathered feet? I ask because I love the look/coloring of the Buff but really don't think I want feathered feet, aren't BCM feathered feet as well, don't remember. I just have concerns as we have alot of dirt and mud in the winter and just imagine lots of dirty/muddy covered eggs.

I don't have a brahma but I have a cochin who has more feathers than a brahma on their legs, a D'Uccle who has feathered feet, and 2 silkies. I have a VERY wet run when it rains and have never had a problem with the feathered legs/feet. My friend says they are bad for 4H shows because they are hard to keep clean, but she shows her silkie and we put our D'Uccle in the show with no more bath than the other chickens got and they both won.

Anyone need these... Great price!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14660250?...07.1&u1=67wtqgns98m9&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

I have one and it is perfect!!

That is a great price! I paid $20 for my 1 1/2 gallon ones. I have 2 and love them.

Last edited:
SOP is Standard of Perfection ;)

Lots of people have Brahmas anyways and I would wait to hear from some them before you decide.

[@]COChix[@] I have to chime in on the Brahma conversation because I love them so much. I think they actually suffer more in the hot weather than the cold. I don't have snow, but plenty of mud. It's not any more an issue for my brahmas as it is for anyone else. I do throw whatever I rake up into the run. Not sure if that's made any difference in muddy feet or cleaner eggs. I don't think it makes much difference. But I think if you like them, you should get one.

Thank you all for the input on the Brahmas, this is why I asked all of you more experienced chicken folk!

And an all white EE... I wonder if they could breed them or is it just pot luck?  I don't know genetics to figure that out.  But I bet lots of people would want them... they are so pretty....I had a Buff Brahma and it was never an issue of the feet being really bad. I never even gave it a second thought.  I have a white Silkie now with feathered feet and no issues as of yet.  I have sand in my run but part of it gets pretty muddy and it's no biggie.  

There is an EE thread that I post in as well on here and there are a couple of guys on there very versed in chicken genetics. They are great at explaining chicken genetics for us newbies. They are great at answering questions and yes there are people out their breeding for all White EE. If your curious jump in and ask the question ask Jerryse I think is his screen name.

Want to hear a funny owl/chicken coop story? Check out this site; http://www.alaskanthefrostedflake.com/
and click on 'The Owl'.

Cute story and wow I couldn't imagine living in Alaska in the winter.

I put a piece of plywood on top of the nest boxes on a angle to keep them off, so they don't poop on them.
good idea, ours sleep on the nest boxes perches just like some of you have posted.

What's the vent test thing you mentioned?
I am curious for my own knowledge to know which flock members are laying and what eggs area they laying. So I will be working through the flock of 23 hens, six different breeds and coloring their vents with different colors of food dye. So I am going to track egg laying for a week, each chicken will be a different color. My guess is I will be doing 5-6 a week until I get through all of them. Then I will have a better idea of who is laying what and how many eggs a week. Just checking production is all, we did get them for eggs afterall. Just want make sure they all are laying. Don't want to waste feed on a girl who isn't laying at all.

I don't have a brahma but I have a cochin who has more feathers than a brahma on their legs, a D'Uccle who has feathered feet, and 2 silkies. I have a VERY wet run when it rains and have never had a problem with the feathered legs/feet. My friend says they are bad for 4H shows because they are hard to keep clean, but she shows her silkie and we put our D'Uccle in the show with no more bath than the other chickens got and they both won.  

That is a great price! I paid $20 for my 1 1/2 gallon ones. I have 2 and love them. 
I have two of these bowls as well, love them.

Thank you all for your feedback on the feather footed breeds and for clearing up a bunch of rubbish I had heard and read. I think I will definitely stick to my plan to pick up some BCM fertile eggs In the spring from a neighbor up the street and will hatch with eggs from our flock. I will stick to that for now, Brahma's are on a want list.

Got back from the weekend in the mountains, the old homestead did well in the hands of my BF mom. She has chickens and hers are not laying right now so she enjoyed vibing with the flock during their egg laying in the morning. She walked away happy and content with 2 - 18 packs of eggs for her stint here.

Last edited:
Wow, never seen this thread be inactive, usually I can't keep up with this thread. I know this is not chicken related, but I know you all are animal lovers. Took some cute pics of our dogs and wanted to share...

This is one of our bully breed girls, Indi. She is out 2 and is a pit/boxer/bulldog mutt she is about 60 pounds. She is a tank and she loves carrying around our belongings she never shreds them she just carries around.

The Sheppard boys, Draco is the red one and Diego is the buff colored. Draco is 1 year and is unknown mix, but Sheppard for sure. Deigo is 9 and is an Anatolion mix. Draco is 75lbs and Diego is 85 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom