Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

No! I wasn't saying anything about your post...just stating that I didn't think I was being unreasonable! No worries.

UPDATE: I did get an email today = should have my eggs by the middle of Jan, which I'm ok with. I will wait to hatch the other ones after those are done

Ah, my mistake. I read it wrong. Sleep deprivation lol. In either case good luck on the hatches. The entire process still freaks me out at this point

Blue Ameraucana from Meyers. Just thought I would share for those wanting to know egg color. But it's a gamble I have another that lays much more like an easter egger green.
May I see a pic of your Blue aM?

Also HOLY FULL CROPS BATMAN!! My girls free range all day and by sunset their crops are HUGEEEEEE!! Like weird looking, ready to burst lol is that the norm?
Here are some pics I tried to get

May I see a pic of your Blue aM?

Also HOLY FULL CROPS BATMAN!! My girls free range all day and by sunset their crops are HUGEEEEEE!! Like weird looking, ready to burst lol is that the norm?
Here are some pics I tried to get

Ha ha...yup, perfectly normal. They'll grow and those crops won't look quite so big in comparison. They'll still get pretty big though as adults. My GB seems to always have a huge crop still.

Glad you got a response. Good luck with the hatch!

Yep, big crops are totally normal. I can't always see them with my big girls but sometimes I'll pick one up and it feels like they have a baseball hidden in there! lol

Talk about venting... we are on vacation right now and my "friend" has been telling me for weeks she'll stay at our place with the animals. A couple days before we leave she says she won't be here every day but she'll come over once a day. I wanted the dogs to get more attention than just a visit once a day. I'm really worried about one of our pugs. She can't seem to work the dog door when it gets cold and she gets locked out all the time. Last cold spell we had to let her into the house multiple times. Now wind chill it's now -33 outside!!! I really wish I had setup our extra camera on the laundry room where the dogs are so I could check on them and ease my worries. She will follow another dog in but if she goes out alone she's stuck until another goes out. Stressful!

Before we go away again in winter I'll also put a camera on the goats/horses. The goats are not good with these temps. I think they'll be ok tucked away in the corner of their stall in their foot of straw. The horses though didn't get a refresh of straw before we left because I didn't know it was going to get this frigid. Poor horses! Hope my friend gave them enough hay. It would be nice to be able to check on them and see that they are in their stall at least.

At least I can check on the chickens so I feel better about them. It is only going as low at 10 in the coop. I'm ok with that. At least they are staying above 0 even though it's -18 outside.

DH just reminded me that I didn't turn the heater down so our propane is being wasted running for an empty house. At least the dogs will be warm. lol

It's really hit and miss when ordering these things. I have had one person who was in contact with me daily until I received the eggs and weekly until they hatched. She was fabulous. I had one who I spent WAY more money with and would wait weeks for a response. I finally cancelled that order because my nerves couldn't take it.
Jon, I'm so glad to see you have eggs from those girls. How old are they now? Mine are just turning 20 weeks and I'm going crazy!!!

Unfortunately these girls take a long time to mature. My first one started laying at around 27 weeks. The next one around 32. In their defense it was starting to get cold they started laying during the start of winter.
I will say that they lay almost every day though. Also I did have that one that matured without a beard or muffs, she has gone Broody and is sitting on about six eggs now. And by the way those roosters I got from you are by far the best roosters I have ever owned! I don't even worry about my kids being around them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately these girls take a long time to mature. My first one started laying at around 27 weeks. The next one around 32. In their defense it was starting to get cold they started laying during the start of winter.
I will say that they lay almost every day though. Also I did have that one that matured without a beard or muffs, she has gone Broody and is sitting on about six eggs now. And by the way those roosters I got from you are by far the best roosters I have ever owned! I don't even worry about my kids being around them.

I bet they are gorgeous too! ;)

Ya my two older pullets don't look as bad as the 7 babies at the end of the day lol and poor Isis (black one in first pic) always looks the fullest
I wonder if that huge crop on Isis means that she'll be huge when she is full grown?
hmm.png

Glad you got a response. Good luck with the hatch!

Yep, big crops are totally normal. I can't always see them with my big girls but sometimes I'll pick one up and it feels like they have a baseball hidden in there! lol

Talk about venting... we are on vacation right now and my "friend" has been telling me for weeks she'll stay at our place with the animals. A couple days before we leave she says she won't be here every day but she'll come over once a day. I wanted the dogs to get more attention than just a visit once a day. I'm really worried about one of our pugs. She can't seem to work the dog door when it gets cold and she gets locked out all the time. Last cold spell we had to let her into the house multiple times. Now wind chill it's now -33 outside!!! I really wish I had setup our extra camera on the laundry room where the dogs are so I could check on them and ease my worries. She will follow another dog in but if she goes out alone she's stuck until another goes out. Stressful!

Before we go away again in winter I'll also put a camera on the goats/horses. The goats are not good with these temps. I think they'll be ok tucked away in the corner of their stall in their foot of straw. The horses though didn't get a refresh of straw before we left because I didn't know it was going to get this frigid. Poor horses! Hope my friend gave them enough hay. It would be nice to be able to check on them and see that they are in their stall at least.

At least I can check on the chickens so I feel better about them. It is only going as low at 10 in the coop. I'm ok with that. At least they are staying above 0 even though it's -18 outside.

DH just reminded me that I didn't turn the heater down so our propane is being wasted running for an empty house. At least the dogs will be warm. lol
Oh geez. I worry about traveling in the winter time with our animals too, but I only have 21 chickens and one dog. We have outside security cameras too and somehow our dog finds a way to avoid them all the time, we can usually see the chickens though.
Too bad that your friend is not as reliable as you need her to be, very frustrating.I hope that everything works out.

All these came from Meyers chickens
Beautiful! So jealous!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom