Meyer hatchery reviews???

Pics
I live about 15 miles from Meyers Hatchery and can say they have been very helpful and so far all is good with the chicks also.
I started out with the brown egg layer assortment. You get 15 they choose.
I got 6 RIR, 5 Black Australorp and 4 Barred Rock.
Just lately I bought 3 Delaware's.
Also just ordered 12 more for Nov pick up 6 Golden Buff and 6 more Black Australorp.
The last I picked up under the chicks shipping bedding they had placed a heating pad, something like the hand warmers you get for warming your hands in the winter. Bigger though.
I buy my feed from them also. Their feed bags have a feeding chart of what they suggest you feed your chickens at every age. Being brand new to this, it was pretty darn helpful.
Just a friendly word of advice, when you are trying to put a list together to buy and if there is a limited amount you better buy them then or good chance someone else will be raising those chicks. Can't tell you how many times that happen to me.
They answer their emails fast and they even have a chat window sometimes during the day.

I have limited space for chicks so I tend to order during warmer months and usually get 4 from My Pet Chicken, however they don't have the breeds I am looking for available when I need to get them due to the temps so I was looking at Meyer Hatchery. Looking to get 3 - 4 but I can't see where I can finalize the order and pick my ship date?

And since I've never used them before I am a little nervous about what everyone calls "hatchery birds"? But I have horrible luck with buying locally and buying straight run?

Any advice?

I only have dealt with Meyer and always had good luck.

Once you pick the one you are interested in the ADD TO CART, you will see Details, Breed characteristics, and availability.

Click on AVAILABILITY and a window will open with dates they will or will not be available.

Always had good luck but never had anything shipped always ordered online and went and picked them up.

According to the availability chart the breeds I have chosen are available on March 21, and that is after the date that you have to order a minimum of 15 so I don't know why I can't choose the date March 21? I do have to have them shipped I am located in CT. Wish I lived closer to be able to pick them up that would make life easier for sure!

You can always send them an email and see what they say. I have emailed several times with questions and concerns on certain things and they answer back fairly quick. I always have dealt with Shella.
Not working there or knowing what you are wanting, that's about all I can help with.

[email protected]

Good luck!

According to the availability chart the breeds I have chosen are available on March 21, and that is after the date that you have to order a minimum of 15 so I don't know why I can't choose the date March 21?  I do have to have them shipped I am located in CT. Wish I lived closer to be able to pick them up that would make life easier for sure!

It said 15 for the entire month of March when I checked the minimum order chart. Are the breeds still available the first week of April?

I have limited space for chicks so I tend to order during warmer months and usually get 4 from My Pet Chicken, however they don't have the breeds I am looking for available when I need to get them due to the temps so I was looking at Meyer Hatchery. Looking to get 3 - 4 but I can't see where I can finalize the order and pick my ship date? 

And since I've never used them before I am a little nervous about what everyone calls "hatchery birds"? But I have horrible luck with buying locally and buying straight run? 

Any advice?
My pet chicken gets their chicks from Meyer's. So if you have been happy in the past they will be the same hatchery quality chicks.

My first chicks were from Meyers, and so is my upcoming order.

My first order arrived in March and was 25 meaties and 25 layer types. Both sets came with a packing peanut. 2 arrived DOA and one died soon after. Meyer was very helpful and gave me a full refund on the chicks that died. All the rest of the chicks were very healthy.

My order coming next month is also 25. I had called up to modify my order, and they were extremely helpful. I expressed concern about the weather with the chicks and was told the shipping manager will ship them according to the weather. If the forecast is cold they will put in a heat pack along with a packing peanut.

If you order chicks from Meyers they also have a meal maker option which is free- they will add a chick similar to what you ordered.

My first order was a mix of Jersey Giants, Gold laced Wanydottes, and a few Easter eggers. They laid well, were docile (except the packing peanut roo) The JGs never got extremely huge, but the roos ended up around 9 lbs, hens 7. The GLW were close to breed standard for size and confirmation, although the lacing was smutty. They did well free ranging and were cold hardy. I had one GLW hen that went broody twice a year, along with a couple others purring the summer. The EE laid well, had tinted eggs, but were more flighty, and didn't do so well in the cold- but that is more of the breed issue. The meaties grew and acted just as they were supposed to- all reach butcher weight of 8-10 lbs within 10 weeks.

So far I have been happy with their chicks and customer service.

May I add that the meal makers purpose is to help a needy family or donate to a community family help organization with eggs or the meat of the meal maker.

Some though will just take the chicken as a freebie. I'm sure they know this will happen but their intentions are an honorable one!

Back
Top Bottom