Meyer Hatchery Swedish Flowers?

Myself and another chicken keeper split an order of death layers. Some arrived dead, others obviously not feeling well. We each treated the birds and had no luck what so ever. When contacted they said give them medicated feed. We were both already treating for cocci. When we said we were treating and still losing birds they basically said we were stupid and must not know what we were doing. Refused to give any kind of compensation when we lost all but 3 birds in less than 5 days. Yes I realize there is a 48 hr guarantee but for them to obviously be sick upon arrival…. Something would have been nice. Even an apology for them dying.
Not a single bird made it to six months.
Wow. That’s really something. I have definitely been reimbursed by other hatcheries for birds that arrived unwell and died after the 48 hr mark, as long as I told them about the chicks doing poorly within the 48 hrs.
Also, it is highly unlikely for day old chicks to arrive with coccidiosis! They did not have enough time to develop that illness. Plus medicated feed is a preventative, not a cure. Ugh. That is a sad story, and I am sorry they did not support you or stand behind their “product”.
I had chicks arrive from Meyer’s last summer infected with what I highly suspect was Avian Encephalomyelitis. First chick started falling over and getting cross beaked a few days after arrival. Passed it on to the brooder mates who got sick a bit later. All terribly weak and buzzing. All survived because I babied them around the clock, but one had complications and died as a young pullet.
Just to say that you can have bad luck with other hatcheries, too…
I got tired of losses from shipped chicks and got some at a local hatchery this year…

Wow. That’s really something. I have definitely been reimbursed by other hatcheries for birds that arrived unwell and died after the 48 hr mark, as long as I told them about the chicks doing poorly within the 48 hrs.
Also, it is highly unlikely for day old chicks to arrive with coccidiosis! They did not have enough time to develop that illness. Plus medicated feed is a preventative, not a cure. Ugh. That is a sad story, and I am sorry they did not support you or stand behind their “product”.
I had chicks arrive from Meyer’s last summer infected with what I highly suspect was Avian Encephalomyelitis. First chick started falling over and getting cross beaked a few days after arrival. Passed it on to the brooder mates who got sick a bit later. All terribly weak and buzzing. All survived because I babied them around the clock, but one had complications and died as a young pullet.
Just to say that you can have bad luck with other hatcheries, too…
I got tired of losses from shipped chicks and got some at a local hatchery this year…
I do understand things happen. And no hatchery is perfect but how they talked to us was unacceptable.

I do understand things happen. And no hatchery is perfect but how they talked to us was unacceptable.
I understand. It always baffles me when customer service people don’t say “I am sorry”. That’s so easy and makes such a difference. And of course make it right. A refund would definitely have been in order, those chicks are expensive!

Back
Top Bottom