Meyer Hatchery Video - Worth Watching :)

Now that was a neat video! I was surprised out how clean looking the place was. And spacious, too. Just makes ya wanna pick up the phone and place an order!
pop.gif

I noted as I looked through each of the hatcheries, Meyer has the absolute best price if you just want 25 leghorn pullets.

True Value.

Thanks for the video i really enjoyed it
thumbsup.gif

I sent out a order to Ideal i order from them because theres no minimum if i want 4 ducks i get 4 ducks
gig.gif
actually I ordered 5 ducks,3 turkeys,10 bantams,5dominiques, and 7 blue laced red wyandottes

Quote:
This was my first thought when I watched the video...where are the hens that lay the eggs they hatch? And I'm thinking that they'd have to treat them well because how's the rooster going to get around if you keep all the girls and guys stuffed in cages? A rooster's gotta have room to commandeer his girls!

Quote:
This was my first thought when I watched the video...where are the hens that lay the eggs they hatch? And I'm thinking that they'd have to treat them well because how's the rooster going to get around if you keep all the girls and guys stuffed in cages? A rooster's gotta have room to commandeer his girls!

My son worked on a farm that had chickens for Hatching eggs they were the white broiler kind.
They were housed in a huge chicken house free range with feeders and waters and there was alot of roosters with the hens.

The workers at Meyers collect up the eggs from private NPIP breeders in a 50 mile radius. The have several different breeders for the breeds and their explanation was to keep possibility of diseases down. Meaning, if one breeders flock gets sick, they can buy the eggs from another breeder and thus reducing the possibility of bringing diseases back to the hatchery. Also, all of the staff I have met take great care of those little chickies. I would say most of the employees seem to have the same addiction to poultry as those of us on BYC. We were also told that the employees start the egg collecting at 5 am!!

I made several trips to Meyers last year for chick orders, and well, lets just say I am now known on a first name basis up there, and I buy as many of the extras as I can before I leave there....lol

I'm going back up there again this year (April 6 to be exact) to pick up my spring order.
smile.png
I'm looking forward to picking up some extras, as well.

Last edited:
Very true - they are smack-dab in the middle of Amish Country and get their eggs from the local breeder farms. It's an awesome place - SUPER clean and even the porta-potty in the warehouse area is SPOTLESS (including a little curtain on the vent window!!) They are really nice people and have great birds.

Back
Top Bottom