Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

I ordered from mcmurray last year 25 chicks all DOA so i went with meyer. This year im trying mcmurray again because I cant find different wyandottes anywhere else but the only dates that were available where wednesdays. Im not sure if there shipped on wednesdays or arrive. If i get f'd this time then im done with that hatchery as money went to their heads.

I had a good experience with McMurray Hatchery when I ordered 18 hens. All vaccinated and sexed correctly. All were good upon arrival and one died a few days later because it just didn't thrive.

I recently ordered from Meyer Hatchery since I only wanted 8 hens. They too were good upon arrival, but one of the lavendar orphingtons didn't do well and died several days later. I wasn't too worried about it because it happens. What I don't like is that I now have three roosters (out of 7) in this group. I won't order again from Meyer for that reason.

I just ordered chicks like a few weeks ago, I am getting some standard in February, and some bantams in April. I can't wait!!!!!!
1f600.png

2 weeks ago i got my order from mcmurray. this is the 2nd time i have ordered from them and like the last time - i had wonderful service.since i ordered less then 25 chicks i picked them up which was fine because we live less then half an hour away. i ordered 13 chicks- all different breeds.

this is me picking them up

this is the very 1st picture of them

this is them all settled in their cage

these are my 2 welsummer chicks-i ordered 2 because they are st. run

and this picture was taken yesterday-its my partridge cochin

I figured that I would share this information here about our birds from both hatcheries. Last year we purchased chicks from both hatcheries. We free range all of our birds. When the fields and forest are full of great things to eat we no longer offer feed. We place plenty of waterers in shady oasis. Just recently all of our birds from last year became roosters and hens. 62% of our McMurray chickens made it to this mark. Only 20% of our chicks arrived at this age.
The breeds that lasted at 100% out of 17 breeds:

McMurray's
Ameraucana/Araucana (Easter Eggers)
Blue Cochin
Rhode Island Red
Rose Comb Brown Leghorn
New Hampshire
Black Langshan

Meyer's
Welsummer
Buckeye
Australorp

I hope this may help others that raise their birds like us.

Last edited:
I had a absolutely wonderful experience with Meyer hatchery. I ordered early, January and choose my hatch date of April 11th. I had choices of many many breeds. I choose 7 Female Barred Rocks, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Female, 1 Female Silver Penciled Rock, and one Suprise Free female layer. She ended up being a beautiful Buff Orpington. They answered my many emails in a timely manner, and I added to my order a few times. (Started out with only 5 birds, ended with 10) They answered ALL my many questions. They even vaccinated my free bird for Marek's at NO COST because all my others were getting vaccinated! I was very concerned with them being in Ohio and me being in California for the chick's long trip. The chick's were shipped after hatch on the 11th and to my suprise the next day on the afternoon of the 12th they arrived! I was overjoyed! They were packaged Beautifully with a heating pack that was still warm and extra nesting material. I so thankful Thank God all TEN of my chick's were alive and healthy.NOT ONE BIRD WAS WEAK OR SICK. They are ALL still doing GREAT TODAY!I am so greatful! I couldn't have asked for a better experience! Sure Myers charges a bit more for shipping than most but it's so WORTH THE COST! ALSO they send chick's with heating packs and extra material and other hatcheries don't. Other hatcheries send male chick's for warmth and Meyer NEVER DOES THAT! ALL MY chick's stayed warm and cozy for their long trip thanks to Meyers and Arrived VERY HEALTHY AND BEAUTIFUL TOO. I WILL GLADLY PAY A BIT MORE FOR THAT OUTCOME!! IT is Absolutely worth it to me. MEYERS WILL BE THE ONLY place I go from now on!! I'm quite certain if I ordered from another hatchery, besides getting several unwanted males shipped for warmth, I don't think they could have made such a long trip without heat! It's wonderful how Meyers uses heat pads and offers Express shipping for those far away.i could tell they cared how they packed the chick's! I HIGHLY recommend Meyer hatchery. They have healthy, beautiful stock, they answer ANY questions you have, they ship with HEAT PACKS NOT male chick's! They offer express shipping, they have a excellent choice of breeds and they sex the birds! Their prices are good. They have a great guarantee. I'm so happy all ten of my girls made the trip without any issues and that's a long journey. They offer vaccines at a very low cost. NOT ANY of my birds had deformity, leg issues or cross beak thank God! Their legs feet and toes are perfect! I can honestly say I am so GRATEFUL I choose Meyer. These beautiful birds bring great joy into my life and I thank God they are so healthy! They are growing so quickly. I wouldn't ever want to go to another hatchery again!All my chick's were strong when they arrived and ate and drank right away :) Meyer hatchery definitely has my vote for the hatchery to choose! They were able to get all 10 chick's across many states to me without ANY problems!! I had zero losses to date and I'm so greatful!I highly suggest Meyer for your next chick order!

I have no experience with McMurray Hatchery, as this is a first time order of chickens for us. I will say that our experience with Meyer has been nothing but positive so far. We only ordered six chicks, but to talk to them on the phone and through several e-mails, you would think we had ordered one hundred. As first time micro scale chicken owners we have lots of questions, and when someone as big and as busy as this hatchery is this time of year takes the time to politely and even enthusiastically answer what to them must be pretty silly stuff, is a huge positive for us. Our chicks arrived healthy and energetic, and we feel comfortable knowing that we can call if we have questions as we go along. More businesses should adopt this level of customer care.

Back
Top Bottom