Meyer Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by kecker-wolf, Mar 24, 2015.

1. kecker-wolf

kecker-wolf New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    Indiana
    So I'm hearing a lot about this Meyer hatchery and so far, I think I want to buy my chicks here. Does anyone know if this is a good hatchery or not? How will I receive my chicks, good condition or will some be dead? If you know anything, the advice would be really helpful. Thanks! :confused::cd

2. KurtG

KurtG Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Well, my Meyer chicks went out last night, but the USPS lost them somewhere enroute from Cleveland last night??????? Hoping they show in the morning despite the tracking snafu.

3. KurtG

KurtG Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Maryland
    As an update, I lost 2 out of 15 DOA. They were packed with a heat pack. I chatted online with Customer Service who provided directions on how to perk the rest up quicker. The two lost seem to be outside their care (sat a long time out of Cleveland PO) , but experiecne has been good so far with Meyer, especially with the time given on getting the rest the best start possible.

4. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    As with anything in life, you can talk with 10 different people and get 10 different opinions. That being said, I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery on 3 different occasions over the last 4 months. The first order was 5 chicks, the second was 6 ducks, and the last was 16 chicks. They all arrived healthy and are still going strong...I haven't lost any so far. I live relatively close to this hatchery, so my 2 chick orders arrived the day after hatching. That is probably a big reason why I've been blessed with healthy babies. I'm pretty sure the ducks are hatched elsewhere, so they took 2 days to arrive. Thus far, my experience with this hatchery has been positive. I like their breed selection and have found their customer service to be helpful and friendly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best!

5. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    I order from several hatcheries and I live 4 hours from Meyer....it's the route out of Ohio that is a big problem. I can get birds faster from any hatchery in the country, but if they route through any Ohio hub it's like a black hole. Indy isn't much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by