Meyer "Meal Maker" What breed did you get? Also Layer or Meat Bird??

I'll try to update this thread, I'll deffinately be posting pics!!! I can't wait for them to arrive!
jumpy.gif

I have a variety of Meyer Chicks and I have nothing bad to say about them. The now hens are all healthy happy big girls and my meal maker was/is a Golden buff layer. They gave me a choice on the meal maker. I am fortunate enough to live about an hour away so me and the little one made the trip to their hatchery. The ladies there are helpful and wonderful !! The store is nice , clean and the atmosphere is friendly. The farm is nicely kept. Not everyone can have a perfect experience but from my observation they gave everyone attention and good customer service with out being fake.

I put in my order for June from Meyer, including a Meal Maker chick. I had the same exact question as you so I called. They told me the same thing as you (which is good, I think) that if I ordered layers then I would get a high production layer, assuming the sexing was correct, that is. I don't mind getting a different (free) breed, as long as it is a pullet of course.

I visited their facility two weeks ago for their backyard chickens class they have (I drove 3 hours). Everyone is very funny, down to earth. They gave us a tour of the "back end" of things like the incubators etc. It was neat to see all of that plus for the price of the class, I got a pen, calendar, power point print out, complimentary drink/snack and my choice of a heat lamp/bulb or feeder/waterer. Yes I had to drive but for someone who is just getting started, the experience was worth it, in my opinion.

I spoke to someone at Meyer when I placed my order, and they said if you order layers they give you a meal maker thats a layer, if you order meat birds they give you a meal maker thats a fryer - no idea if it's a mixed order. Usually for a layer I was told they try to give you a breed that lays well with brown eggs.

I ordered 4 hens, a EE, a SB, a BO and a RIR, I also added a Meal Maker to the order. I have no idea what breed she is, (I assume she is sexed correctly but I am kind of hoping she's a he
fl.gif
) I think she is some kind of white breed tho.. they are only 3 days old so only time will tell. Do any of you have photos of your Meal Makers as chicks?

Here is our Peep. The tips of his or her wings are very white. He/she is also growing a bit faster than the others, and seems to be maturing faster as well.. he started foraging in the shavings today while the others stood and watched him. (I am going to be sad if he is a she lol)

I ordered 4 hens, a EE, a SB, a BO and a RIR, I also added a Meal Maker to the order. I have no idea what breed she is, (I assume she is sexed correctly but I am kind of hoping she's a he
fl.gif
) I think she is some kind of white breed tho.. they are only 3 days old so only time will tell. Do any of you have photos of your Meal Makers as chicks?

Here is our Peep. The tips of his or her wings are very white. He/she is also growing a bit faster than the others, and seems to be maturing faster as well.. he started foraging in the shavings today while the others stood and watched him. (I am going to be sad if he is a she lol)

That second picture is adorable!!
love.gif

At just three days it's way too soon to know gender, but keep in mind it may have hatched sooner than the others, they empty the incubators and ship on monday, but it could could have hatched any time over the weekend so it might just be a day or two ahead of the rest. As for breed I have no idea, cute little pale fluff ball though!

I ordered twice from meyer. The first batch, one year ago, the meyer meal maker was a road island red female. This batch I got Thursday I got another one, don't know what she is yet but she loves to snuggle in my lap.

Back
Top Bottom