Meyer's "make a meal" mystery chick

Meyers is a decent hatchery, but figure in advance that a "free, make-a-meal" chick is gonna be male. It's a matter of economics ... and females sell.
Almost everyone I've talked to that has gotten one gets a female, unless they get mostly meat birds. The point of it is for people who are getting hens for pets or laying to donate the meal maker hen's eggs to people in need, and for people who are getting meat birds to donate the meat of the meal maker bird to people in need.

Meghan who works at Meyer linked a helpful link too.
Oh wow, that link on the other thread was extremely helpful! I got a meal maker the week of the 14th and I guessed barred rock! Yay me. Except it’s got a big ‘ole white spot on its head ... my order was a hodgepodge of mostly dual purpose breeds and a few banties for a work friend.

Oh wow, that link on the other thread was extremely helpful! I got a meal maker the week of the 14th and I guessed barred rock! Yay me. Except it’s got a big ‘ole white spot on its head ... my order was a hodgepodge of mostly dual purpose breeds and a few banties for a work friend.
I thought so too! The white head spot doesn't kean anything, unless it's in really good quality BRs. Even then, it's not very reliable. The barring on the wing feathers is usually a give away though. Congrats on your chick! All of the BRs I ever got were sexed pullets and always had big head spots too. I'd love to see pics of her if you have any.

Almost everyone I've talked to that has gotten one gets a female, unless they get mostly meat birds. The point of it is for people who are getting hens for pets or laying to donate the meal maker hen's eggs to people in need, and for people who are getting meat birds to donate the meat of the meal maker bird to people in need.

This is what I thought. I would be happy to have another chicken and give away some eggs but I can't keep a roo.

Back
Top Bottom