MG?

ShannaES

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Newhall, California
I was out of town for a few days and came back to a chicken wheezing and sneezing. Of course she's one of my best girls and an awesome layer. I started her on Tylan 50 on Monday. She looked better yesterday but this is her this morning. My flock are carriers for MG and neurological strain of Marek's. The Marek's had always presented in the form of lameness or looking wobbly. I'm assuming that I need to euth or should I give antibiotics another day?

Last edited:
Anybody? I also have Denaguard & Oxytet if one of those might be a better choice. She was just walking around munching on some butternut squash so I'm really not certain what to do.

Poor girl. She looks like she is gasping for air. Is her crop emptying by early morning before she has anything to eat or drink? What does it feel like now? Does she seem to have any enlargement of her lower belly? Does she lay eggs? How much Tylan 50 are you giving her? The dosage should be at least 25 mg per pound given 3-4 times a day, and you can give it orally. Give it slowly about 0.25 ml at a time, letting her swallow in between.

Edited to say that Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight, not 25 mg.

Last edited:
Poor girl. She looks like she is gasping for air. Is her crop emptying by early morning before she has anything to eat or drink? What does it feel like now? Does she seem to have any enlargement of her lower belly? Does she lay eggs? How much Tylan 50 are you giving her? The dosage should be at least 25 mg per pound given 3-4 times a day, and you can give it orally. Give it slowly about 0.25 ml at a time, letting her swallow in between.
Her crop is emptying at night and it feels normal now but she's not eating as much as usual. Her belly also seems normal at the moment. She does lay but she hasn't laid today(assuming because she's not well). I've been giving her .07 ml 2x a day Tylan 50 via oral syringe. This the first time that I'm treating an individual hen orally.

Sorry, but my post above was wrong. I meant to post Tylan 50 dosage should be 0.25 ml per pound, so about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. I would increase your dosage and give it 3 times daily for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom