Mice! Eat, poo, and pee in my chickens food/water..try this!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cynthia12, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I'm so tired of mice and sparrows. They are all over the place here in Utah. I will be out there taking care of the chickens, and the mice just look up at me like they are saying, hurry up, I'm hungry. They won't even move until I move toward them! So, found this trap. They go in for the PB, the step goes down when they go in, then pops up when they step off. I caught 5 last night..put it somewhere else this afternoon, and went out to find this little guy. I have it in another spot now. I need another one.
    [​IMG]
    The mouse at the top of the trap..the big blob of PB in the middle. I want to make sure
    they can smell it. They can!

[​IMG]

This is the doorway on one side, there is one on both sides. The smell in my end pen
    is so bad, smells like mice. And it's an open coop/run!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Nice.Where did you buy the trap?I get mice in my sparrow trap,but would like this one.

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    At a feed store. It wasn't IFA, Cal Ranch, but a store similar that sells things for farm animals. I can't believe how well this works. Finally found something.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Cool looking trap, bet you will find some snakes in there too.

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Eww, I didn't think of that! Not at this time of year though..we have close to 3 ft. of snow where we are right now. I'm thinking that won't be too much fun if I find a snake come spring. The snakes around here are good for our area. No poison ones here in the valley. I haven't seen any around the coop. Mostly garden snakes. Unless though, you go up into our mountain areas..then you see those huge rattle snakes, they are all over in the rocky areas of our mountains. We worry more about poison spiders..we have a lot of Black Widows! We spray for those. [​IMG]
    Going to check to see if I got any more icky mice. They smell soo bad. :/

6. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    How do i stop mice from eating my chicken food? They are getting in their somehow and it's black so i cant find the holes. Is there a spice i can sprinkle that they dont like on the food or the corners? I put cement blocks on the bottom and the sides.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How do you dispatch and empty that thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by