Mice in chicken coop

I had a severe rat infestation in one of my coops. I moved the birds to another coop and loaded it with rat bait. I shut the coop up tight for a couple of days. I then renovated the coop. Just prior to putting the baits in the coop I took out a ceiling and some inner walls we had put in. It was our first coop. The rats came pouring out as I was tearing out the wood and styrofoam we had in the ceiling. I didn't find any dead rats when I went back to renovate, but I think they went into their tunnels and died. The rat bait boxes have access for the rats and mice to get the bait but nothing else.
View attachment 1893167 View attachment 1893168
View attachment 1893179 View attachment 1893182
That just one bite stuff took care of rats for me too!

I couldn't count all of the rats and their different sizes that came out when I started to tear open the walls and ceiling. They had built nests. It reminded me of some old movies of where the rats were taking over.

So i just found a fat mouse between the roof of my coop and the roof of my run (there is a gap). We have been seeing poop like crazy but just saw the actual guy today. We haven't seen any droppings or anything IN the COOP but our run is open all the time (little threat of predators). I know that isn't everyone's ideal choice but it seems to work fine for us.

I have read that food is obviously what he is going for but what kind of a feeder do you have that can be left out all the time and still be mouse-proofed?? We have a tub with PVC pipe that the girls stick their heads in to eat the food but it is left out all the time. It is under the coop but in the run to keep it out of the weather. We are suburban people with 4 hens.

Just wondering thoughts on how to handle the "don't leave food out" option while still making it accessible. If we have to bring the food in every night, we CAN but its so much easier to not. Lol!

I have read that food is obviously what he is going for but what kind of a feeder do you have that can be left out all the time and still be mouse-proofed?? We have a tub with PVC pipe that the girls stick their heads in to eat the food but it is left out all the time. It is under the coop but in the run to keep it out of the weather. We are suburban people with 4 hens.

Just wondering thoughts on how to handle the "don't leave food out" option while still making it accessible. If we have to bring the food in every night, we CAN but its so much easier to not. Lol!
@Al Gerhart can tell you.
ETA...tag didn't hold....look up his treadle feeder.

Last edited:
So i just found a fat mouse between the roof of my coop and the roof of my run (there is a gap). We have been seeing poop like crazy but just saw the actual guy today. We haven't seen any droppings or anything IN the COOP but our run is open all the time (little threat of predators). I know that isn't everyone's ideal choice but it seems to work fine for us.

i bring all feed in every night, i used to bring in the water also, but i leave water in the coop, so when they wake they at least have water waiting for me or hubby to put the feed out in the morning...i once found a little mouse sitting right next to my hen in the nesting box.....good thing hubby was only steps away from me and he discarded it, why it did not run i have no idea....hen probably pecked it and it was scared to move....lol

The mice (rats) ate the door where you bait the electronic trap and just helped themselves to the bait. I didn't catch anything! They ate through the electric wire in the wall and caused a short. I put out glue traps any more suggestions? I have dogs and cats so don't want to use poison

the

Hi folks,
Personally I like to leave food available for my birds and eliminate pests. Rodents attract predators such as fox,skunks, and snakes.

Poison or snap traps work well. If you put them in a large tin can with half the lid on, no chickens or pets can get hurt. Or make a small wood box with a hole so the vermin can get in.

I prefer traps. Not the ones with the fake plastic cheese but with the metal trigger. Strip the covering off a twist tie, put a hole in a couple of squash seeds and wire to the trigger. No stolen bait and dead rodent.

With poison get the block type not pellets and put in can or box. The pellets can be pulled out where your birds can eat them. After they eat the block the move leave the area to find water and die away from the coop and pets. I do use poison in my barn.

I prefer traps. Not the ones with the fake plastic cheese but with the metal trigger. Strip the covering off a twist tie, put a hole in a couple of squash seeds and wire to the trigger. No stolen bait and dead rodent.
Yes!
Or just cram a sunflower seed tight into the trigger hole.

@Al Gerhart can tell you.
ETA...tag didn't hold....look up his treadle feeder.

Hi Aart, thanks for the mention. Yep, they need a treadle feeder.

One thing though, take a look at this picture. I had the nicest lady email in the other day saying that mice were getting in her feeder so I asked for pictures of the feeder. She had hooked the spring on the door axle where it just slid back instead of hooking it on the wire link so it could pull up on the door axle. Kind of like trying to lift yourself up by pulling on your socks. Once she hooked the spring in place correctly the mice were stopped.

But if you follow the directions mice and wild birds will be stopped, usually squirrels too but not if there are hordes of them. Google or even better, search on BYC.com for rat proof chicken feeder, there is just one that actually works 99% of the time. The 1% is those that do not follow directions. LOL

Attachments

• spring on wrong.png
    spring on wrong.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom