Mice in chicken coop

Pics
I planted mint around my coop a few years ago when I started seeing rats around. Once the mint took hold, the rats seemed to leave, along with all the other little rodents we tend to have in the woods. For anyone who doesn't want to use bait or traps I would recommend mint. It really seems to be a natural deterrent.

I'm going to agree with one of the other posters in saying if any rodent is stupid enough to climb in the arena (in my case) with 120 feathered food processors then good luck to you Mr. Rodenta Darwinicus. On the other hand, SPCA's in many states have feral cat programs. You simply confine the cat(s) for two weeks in their new home then give them water, kibble if your budget permits. I have two fat lazy cats which I carry down to the barn and lock them inside for the day. What the chickens don't get the cats will....

big_smile.png

P.S. Both mint and Russian Sage will fend of most rodents and rabbits as well. We use russian sage around our garden.

Last edited:
Mice can track and spread disease around the farm with their droppings, cause feed to spill on the bare ground, etc. so we put a lot of emphasis on keeping their population down on our farm. I think most of the suggestions above are good. What I also do in some areas is use Ketch All mouse traps from the Kness Mfg. Co. You can get a lot of mice in one setting with these traps and they're safe around the birds as the mice go in the box through a tunnel opening in the trap. Place them along the sides of a pen.

So is it a good idea to throw a dead mouse into the flock? A lot of comments on the chickens catching, killing, and eating a mouse, but will it work if you catch one outside the pen in a snap trap, and then throw it to them when you find it in the morning? Will they be able to get started, or is it better to cut or tear it apart? ---- At what age can the chickens handle a mouse, either alive or dead?

The mice are chewing on the chicken feathers at night. That can't be good. Hard to know what to do. It's too perfect for them, food ,water chicken feathers. I'm planting mint every where around the coop. Can't seal them out the chicken go in and out from coop to run all day. Is there any thing hat really keeps them a way. Because all if read you can kill them but it just makes room for more. Ugg!

Lots of ideas here! And thank God rats are fairly non existant where I live!!

Last night when I went to shut the girls in, i turned on the light briefly while I gathered eggs and when I did, i saw a couple tiny mice go scurrying. I have known the mice were in the henhouse from day one, figuring they're the night clean up crew for all the apilled grain, but had NO IDEA just how many of the vermin there were....

Until I tipped the one ground nest box to the side (where I had seen one run behind when the light came on) and at least 30 tiny mice burst out of a squirming pile and scattered back into the henhouse and down the two chew holes I was aware of. Oh, and did I mention that a shrieked like a little girl?? Mice don't usually freak me out bit this was a bit much! Especially for a 6x10 house.

I have seen my girls with a mouse hanging by its tail from their beaks only a couple of times, but clearly they aren't as avid hunters as I had hoped!

So I am going to try just feeding the girls outside twice a day, and maybe they'll just eat more bugs, and set a few live traps inside with grain or cat food bait. I know they're vermin, and my husband rolls his eyes at me, and the cats are constantly leaving mice heads in my house, but I just dont have the heart to kill them! Maybe I'll change my mind soon, but for now they're going to get released into the fields.

I also considered the suggestion of introducing cats to the henhouse, but not sure how that rodeo might pan out.... My two cats are indoor furballs with an attached outdoor dog run. Actually the chickens probably have more space than thw cats do! Lol!

Last edited:
Try Mouse Magic by Bonide. Spearmint and peppermint leaves in little packets - mice reportedly hate the smell. And as you are doing, make sure no food is accessible overnight while your feathered friends are sleeping (or anywhere other than where you are feeding them in the day). Super duper clean all areas to freshen everythinga nd make sure no food crumbles/scraps are anywhere else. Eventually the mice will find 'greener' pastures. JJ

Back
Top Bottom