Mice in Coop

Kchicken1988

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
It’s only obvious where I live that mice have to be in my coop.
so I know by having their water and food out I’m just helping the mice.
My fencing is 1/2 inch wide? Maybe 3/4 and then chicken wiring wrapped around the whole thing. Before you say you shouldn’t use chicken wiring this coop is barricaded. I have the metal fencing down below buried then rocks surrounding the whole thing.
so I’ve read to do the hard wire, but can’t mice still fit through that?! They can fit up into a size of a whole that’s an eraser of a pencil.

I hate putting their food and water inside cause they are so messy

thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Mice can't fit in 1/2 x 1/2 welded wire fence but they will climb up it and fit in the chicken wire.

About the only thing I can think of is traps outside the coop/run. Give them an easier food source outside they will take it even if it comes with a death penalty.

Not many mice are going to be able to use a hole that small, a nickle sized hole for babies just out of the nest, maybe, more like a quarter size hole for an adult. Most mice and rats will quickly refuse poison bait unless they are starving, and why would they be starving? Because you bought a treadle feeder and now they cannot get to the feed. For a lot less than what it would cost to mouse proof a coop you can prevent the rodents from even hanging around.

Mice can't fit in 1/2 x 1/2 welded wire fence
The skinnier, or hungrier ones can try.
1592138226837.png

Back
Top Bottom