Mice issues - They are getting brave!

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
What are the best methods for keeping the chicken food away from mice? We have had mice issues and today I was looking out the window over the chicken yard and actually saw in broad daylight 3 mice running right around in the open back and forth from the feeder. I had even just moved the feeder to what I thought was a safer location just yesterday. I have seen videos of chickens going nuts over mice and I thought it would not be a huge issue, especially having a roo that will go into a dead sprint across the yard if he simply sees a cricket! However he just stood there and watched the mice stealing food - what the heck?!

Maybe the chickens don't realize that they can eat the mice.

As for the feed here are my suggestions; hang the feeder or buy/make a treadle feeder. I hope you are able to solve your problem.
smile.png

Put out a snap trap in a box or a live mouse trap and feed the captured mouse to the chickens...after a few they will figure it out.

You still need to keep your feed put up at night and maybe a bucket trap out until their numbers are reduced.

Make sure the food is in some type of mouse proof container. I haven't had much luck with one feeder over the other, whatever food the chickens kick out the mice will eat. I highly suggest you put some traps out. A few months ago I caught/killed around 50 mice in a week. and after not trying to catch anymore til yesturday I got 17 in 24 hours. But relating to your origonal question I suggest keeping the mice away from the chicken food.

Well I have put out some traps where the chickens can't get to them so I am interested to see what kind of numbers I get! :lol:
I was out in the yard yesterday and noticed them tossing something around and cackling and getting excited. It looked like a worm, but worms usually don't last a split second so I grabbed it to see what it was... Mouse tail *gag*
Maybe they are after the mice and the mice are just currently winning :rolleyes:

Well I have put out some traps where the chickens can't get to them so I am interested to see what kind of numbers I get!
lol.png

I was out in the yard yesterday and noticed them tossing something around and cackling and getting excited. It looked like a worm, but worms usually don't last a split second so I grabbed it to see what it was... Mouse tail *gag*
Maybe they are after the mice and the mice are just currently winning
roll.png

Google / youtube bucket mouse trap. Snap traps get one, bucket traps get many...

I feel like I am overrun sometimes by the mice. I bring in all the feeders at night, but they are feeding off spilled feed.

Right now, I have got bucket traps out but have only caught one mouse in 3 nights (but am seeing many mice). My mice are so small they can eat peanut butter off the regular traps and not set them off (I only catch an occasional one in regular snap traps). My Buckeyes will eat them if they can catch them. I see them catch mice sometimes -- those brave enough to run around during the day.

I do not want to use poisons -- if anyone has new ideas or hints about the bucket traps, let me know . . .

I feel like I am overrun sometimes by the mice. I bring in all the feeders at night, but they are feeding off spilled feed.

Right now, I have got bucket traps out but have only caught one mouse in 3 nights (but am seeing many mice). My mice are so small they can eat peanut butter off the regular traps and not set them off (I only catch an occasional one in regular snap traps). My Buckeyes will eat them if they can catch them. I see them catch mice sometimes -- those brave enough to run around during the day.

I do not want to use poisons -- if anyone has new ideas or hints about the bucket traps, let me know . . .

If they are that small, move your ramp closure to the barrel / wheel. If it is to far out of there reach, you won't get them.

I heard the bucket traps works quite well? I've done some digging and found an article saying mint is a natural mouse deterrent and planting mint (spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm etc) around the coop and run and sprinkling dried mint in the coop and nest boxes will deter them.

I heard the bucket traps works quite well? I've done some digging and found an article saying mint is a natural mouse deterrent and planting mint (spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm etc) around the coop and run and sprinkling dried mint in the coop and nest boxes will deter them.
We have types of mints around our pen and they don't seem to do anything.

I've never heard of buckets, When placed in the right spot, a snap trap works great. But it does take a lot of checking.

Back
Top Bottom