Mice problem

We had a huge mouse problem. Literally hundreds at night in the pens. Tried everything. Bait stations worked fairly well but not well enough. It was pointed out to me that you cannot keep them from spilled food but you can keep them from water. Raised the automatic waters high and not close to walls or wire. Mice almost gone.

AugeredIN,,Once again the cold weather is upon us and the mice are looking for easily found meals. I notice under the water bowls in the outside pens there is mice holes so they must be helping themselves to the water supply the peas use. I'm going to move all the peas into a new building we're now making that is much closer to the house and my main concern is mice.I've considered raising feeders each nite and dumping the water and baiting heavily the first two weeks when the peas are installed. Undoubtedly the mice presently out in the Palace pens will go crazy when the food and water supply disappears once the peas are moved.

We hang the food high enough that it is almost difficult for the birds to be picky. We put the waterer as high as possible. Younger juveniles cannot reach the hanging food or water bowls in the adult pens. We don't put either in a position that mice can climb onto either one. It has really cut down on mice.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but don't your peas eat mice? Maybe its because I also have chickens and guineas and they teach the peas.

Mine definitely don't. Even if they did, I'd still get intestinal/gape worm problem. Every year, around the third week of October I have to worm my entire flock, even those that don't go outside (young ones), or I end up with a lot of sick droopy birds.

I feed all my birds 2 times a day what they will eat within an hour , what they do not eat is pulled so there is no feeder for mice nor rats to raid, i also switched to 4 inch deep feeder ... they are super easy to clean compared to the galvanized ones............ i would have at least a cup between the pallet slats after ever feeding before now there is almost nothing

I don't have that option. Yes, peafowl will eat mice if they find one during the day but they only come out at night.
you can't pull your feed at night? peas do not eat at night time mice do
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom