Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

BTinks,
I'm sorry to hear the little chick didnt make it.
I recently had the same abdominal issue with one of my hatched chicks. We decided to cull it based on the severity of the opening. I couldn't do it myself, so my friend came and got the chick, and did it for me.

Here's a picture of my little fluff balls!
1f60a.png

Btinks sorry to hear your chick didnt make it, you did great for shipped eggs.. great numbers..

I have two pips and 3 other eggs doing nothing. but 2 of the 3 i put in the bator 2 days later.. so i expect them to be later.. today is day 19.
this will definately be my last hatch for the season.. then maybe start back up in February..was fun hathing with everyone..

I've had quite the strange hatch over here with my other clutch of eggs. So initially I had 11 silkie eggs under a large fowl hen. She ate two and then bailed on the remaining 9 on day 9. I convinced my silkie to sit on them and they seemed to be developing well.

In the meantime I acquired a nesting box with 11 eggs and three silkies sitting on them off of a gal on craigslist. She didn't seem to know when the eggs were all gonna hatch so that set has been interesting. Those hens hatched out one the night I brought them home but none of the three decided to show it the food or water and I found it dead a day later. The next few of their babies hatched together and I took one of the broodies off the nest and put her in one of my broody houses with the three little chicks.
The next couple chicks from the new batch of eggs hatched on day 21 for my original clutch of eggs so I gave those two chicks to that hen in case her eggs never hatched. Well finally yesterday on day 24 she hatched out two chicks from her clutch and then bailed on the remaining 7 eggs even tho three more were pipped! I quickly rushed the remaining eggs out back to the two co-broodies who were crazy excited to get 7 more eggs.
1f61c.png

So now I have three chicks under a new mama hen, four chicks under my original mama hen, and 9 eggs left to hatch out back under two broodies. My plan is to give any remaining chicks to my original mama hen to add to her 4 since I already know she is a fantastic mother. Once the two out back are done hatching I'm just going to take away their nesting box. They don't seem to want to mother anything really. Lol.

Last edited:
I've had quite the strange hatch over here with my other clutch of eggs. So initially I had 11 silkie eggs under a large fowl hen. She ate two and then bailed on the remaining 9 on day 9. I convinced my silkie to sit on them and they seemed to be developing well.

In the meantime I acquired a nesting box with 11 eggs and three silkies sitting on them off of a gal on craigslist. She didn't seem to know when the eggs were all gonna hatch so that set has been interesting. Those hens hatched out one the night I brought them home but none of the three decided to show it the food or water and I found it dead a day later. The next few of their babies hatched together and I took one of the broodies off the nest and put her in one of my broody houses with the three little chicks.
The next couple chicks from the new batch of eggs hatched on day 21 for my original clutch of eggs so I gave those two chicks to that hen in case her eggs never hatched. Well finally yesterday on day 24 she hatched out two chicks from her clutch and then bailed on the remaining 7 eggs even tho three more were pipped! I quickly rushed the remaining eggs out back to the two co-broodies who were crazy excited to get 7 more eggs.
1f61c.png

So now I have three chicks under a new mama hen, four chicks under my original mama hen, and 9 eggs left to hatch out back under two broodies. My plan is to give any remaining chicks to my original mama hen to add to her 4 since I already know she is a fantastic mother. Once the two out back are done hatching I'm just going to take away their nesting box. They don't seem to want to mother anything really. Lol.
Crazy! my head is spinning just trying to keep that all straight, how do you do it? :)

We have only 20 eggs viable after the 11 day candling. 18 were infertile. Hatch day is the 28th.

I had 8 eggs under a broody, but she got kicked off of her nest, so I put her eggs in the incubator, and gave her 8 new ones figuring the original werelkely dead. I added 12 eggs to Broody's 8 in the incubator, and did the wait and see game. Friday was day 21 for the first 8, but we were going up north Friday, so I gave broody her original 8 back, and took the other 8 from her and put them in incubator. Their day 21 was today. I came home to 12 in incubator, and 7 under broody. For the heck of it, I gave broody all 19 chicks. Check her out!!!

Back
Top Bottom