Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

I have 70 eg gs in my bator right now. Had 81 but pulled out the duds.
So we will see how many chicks I will get. I normally dont hatch so many... but folks rather want chicks vrs hatching eggs and gladly been paying the extra for them. This is my 3rd batch now and a sold out immediately. Only have a few chicks left (roos) from last batch and a few keeper pullets to watch and see how they mature.
I also have 2 different shipments of eggs I bought that im expecting next week sometime. 40 eggs from 1 seller and a doz+ from another. Those will go under my broodies in the coop vrs a bator for a better hatch rate as I never use a bat or on shipped in eggs. Not worth the chance to me for bator mishaps with expensive eggs.

And now for the part ya was wondering about while reading my post...
I have calico and millie cochin bantams. Both in my bator and the ones I am shipping in. :)

mindylee good luck with your hatch.. you will have to post pictures, seems like chicks are a hot comoditie this yr.. i have someone that wants 24 chicks.. i know the tsc has been selling out pretty fast, except for the cornish cross chicks..

4 more days till lockdown..

I bought a doz of barred rock mix hatching eggs off ebay last night.. never hatched shipped eggs b4, I didnt pay alot. that is why i bid on them.. will let them set a day or two before setting them.

hope everyones eggs are growing good..

I've got 2 chicks and 2 more have started! I need advice though. How long can I leave these 2 in the incubator while I wait for the others? I don't want to vacuum seal the others when I lift the lid! Thanks for any advice
1f60a.png

I've got 2 chicks and 2 more have started! I need advice though. How long can I leave these 2 in the incubator while I wait for the others? I don't want to vacuum seal the others when I lift the lid! Thanks for any advice
1f60a.png

I wouldn't risk it while others are pipping. They can stay in the bator for at least 48 hours and still be nourished as they absorb the remaining yolk sacs. Mother nature's way to keep them with the hen as she continues to incubate any stragglers until they hatch. That's why staggered hatches beyond 3 days don't often work out because the hen will have to leave unhatched eggs to feed her chicks. That's how they are able to ship day old chicks through the mail. That being said, you can still decide if you want to grab a chick and toss in a wet sponge or something to keep the humidity high as you do it.

yooper girl the chicks are good for 72 hrs, unless your hatch is over dont open that bator b4 then.

my hatches usually are done by 3rd day anyways. i leave all the chicks in there, i think they encourage the other eggs to hatch.. lol

I went into lockdown today. looks like i have a pip through the aircell already. wont be long. thinking probably a early hatch.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I had done the research and planned on leaving it closed, but I started doubting my decision when I saw them stumbling around in there
1f600.png
. The last ones are hatching now, so hopefully they'll be dry tomorrow morning and I can pull them all out then. Thanks again for the advice, there just so darn cute I don't want to mess it up now!

put my chicks outside that were hatched on 3/17, i have plastic over two sides and against house for warmth.. i plan on bringing them in, in the evenings for a while yet, they are doing great... plus we hear chirping out of the incubator a little while ago.. no pips but can hear them.. wont be long. my hatches start day 19.. i bet will have a pip by tonight. fingers crossed..

yoopergirl glad your hatch is going well.. the chicks will be fine in there.. look at the commercial hatchers.. there is major amount of chicks in a drawer and they survive..

Back
Top Bottom