Michigan Local feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Anny, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Does anyone know anyplace in Michigan that makes chicken feed??

I'd rather try to get something local then drive all over town looking at stuff made by Purina or some other big box company.

Or has anyone made there own feed??? what recipe did you use?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    where are you in MI? you have lots of options. there is a place in Imlay that does all organic and only $18 a bag. can get it day or night, they leave it and you leave your money, if at a crazy time.

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I'm in Detroit actually but I go to Ann Arbor/Ypsi area about once every other week. So preferable some place near here or there.

Imlay might be a little farther then I want to go...but if I only have to go so often it might not be so bad. How long does a large bag last 4 hens?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I can buy feed from Zeeland at my local pet store, and the scratch is made by the feed store in Flat Rock.I don't think you will find much local, but if you do I want to hear about it! Hens laying with no forage use about 1/4 pound per hen per day. 50lbs last our hens a long time with forage, not so long without.

5. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I get mine at the feed store here in Davison and it lasted a month for me until I added 4 RIR's to the mix. Not sure how long it's going to last now, they also free range to so that helps.

6. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Thank you guys all so much for all the info!

7. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I go to Chap's on 5 mile and middlebelt, I live in Livonia. There's another one on Grand River, not sure if its in Farmington or in Novi/Wixom.

8. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sparta Elevator in Sparta, (of course) lol, makes its own feed, from starter to layer/meat pellets, so I don't know how far you are from here, but I suggest Spartan Elevator feed! my chicks are growing fast then normal and they are still on starting feed!

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Livingston Feed in Howell

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    The one on Grand River is Wixom Feed.

Can you keep chickens in Livonia? I would have thought that it was a little too urbanized.

I used to live in Farmington and there was the one "crazy guy" who grew his own food and didn't mow his lawn and everyone thought was weird. Now that I'm older and live out in the country, I don't think of him as crazy anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by