Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Cabbage is on the list? Well I guess it is toxic when my husband eats it.
barnie.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Soybeans are on there too.

Interesting list. I'm wondering now though... how accurate or are they just toxic in exaggerated amounts? I mean, water is toxic if you drink enough of it. A lot of those plants are ones that my chickens eat daily, like chickweed and nettle. They're not sick. My chicks, in fact, have devoured every leaf of the nettle plants surrounding the run - every leaf they could reach through the chicken wire. If it were toxic you'd think they'd be dead by now.
hu.gif
Heck, I love nettles! They're tasty in soup or eggs and contain lots of good vitamins. Cabbage and kale??? I've been feeding my chickens both. No deaths or illness yet.
I am not sure... I was suggested this list last year. I was using it more for plants that I would plant... not for natural plants

Does anyones chickens eat clematis or morning glories?
I didn't plant either.
It says on the list that chives aren't good... my chickens don't touch any part of mine

My husband who has been annoying me by being underfoot for the past three months has redeemed himself in a big way. We are coming to Chickenstock next week. We weren't planning on it because our vehicles are gas guzzlers and would have to rent a car which costs. He took a carload of scrap wire in today. He came home to tell me for our anniversary next week he is taking me to chickenstock.
wee.gif
Sooo, I haven't even let myself look at the thread so I wouldn't be sad. Silly is the thread you started the main thread to help me find everything?

Well, I had to bring in the little blue polish several days ago. I noticed that it was all puffed up and not moving, except to wobble back and forth. I watched for bit and took her out and came to the conclussion that she may not have been eating. Not really sure...

I put her in an old aquarium in the house on a white towel, i wanted to see what her poop looked like, force fed her some water, then literally force fed her yolk, crumble mash till her little crop was filled up. Then set her next to the brooder so she'd get residual heat off of it, and also so she'd still see the chicks, and not be distressed about being alone. (She was already a loner, I probably should have taken her out sooner) So, the next morning, got up, and she was still alive, more active, eating and drinking on her own. I had given her poultry drench and probios water. Examined her poops and they looked absolutely normal. She was still weak and slept a lot, droopy. But she was eating and drinking. The next day, she was even more active, but yesterday was a different story. She became very lethargic, kept sleeping in her feed dish wouldn't drink unless I dipped her beak, and this early afternoon, she let out a loud peep, and was gone. I went and checked on her when I heard that peep, and yeah... Was kind of very bumming. We were looking at having a house chicken. Yes, I am serious, I was going to keep her in the house with us and the brooder babies until they were close enough in size to put together.

Anyway, Aiden and I went out and buried her in the chicken cemetary and I was quite surprised to see Aiden crying after he put the little chick in the hole. He has never cried over a past chicken, but he really likes these funny headed polish.

All of the other birds that were with her are fine. They are showing no signs of distress, their poos are normal, they are feathering out very well and are just a royal pain in the butt at bed time. LOL. But hey, they didn't have a mama teach them to go up and down.

The current house chicks are at a week old now. The Great Derpinksi is still with us. After adding probiotics to their water, I haven't had any crusty butts at all. They are getting their little butt... I mean tail feathers. The polish still attack my kids fingers when they push them between the bars. They're favorite place to sleep these days is in the food dish too. Next week they'll be moving to the out door brooder and will have all that room to go bat poop crazy. They'll be getting their first bowl of dirt. I am still thinking there are 2 blues, 2 black and one splash.

The little japs are still the most adorable chicks. They run like crazy to get away, but the minute they are in my hand they settle right down and are very calm. I can't believe how calm they are! They aren't even shaking! The yokos though... THEY act like I am killing them. Yup. LOL

Last night I took the jeep to the guy who fixed it. He's going to try and figure out what is going on. He did a system pressure test, the gasket is still good. THANK GOD! Anyway, we are trying a new radiator cap. He thinks that may be the problem now. What will really tick me off is that if I changed all that stuff and it turned out to be the rad cap... Looking at the rad cap, it looks like a good cap... WELL ANYWAY, we got to talking while we were waiting for the jeep to over heat... which it didn't... and we got to talking chickens. How does this happen? LOL. Anyway, he had chickens back when he was growing up and asked if he could come out and see what I have, cuz he LOVES chickens, but living in the city, can't see himself moving to the country and raising chickens now. But he goes out to his cousins and thats the first thing he does, goes and hangs with the chickens. I told him where I lived and how to get here, and he says, "OH! Thats you?" LOL, apparently, he knows where I live. LOL. What does that say about me and my birds? LOL Wait till the new eye candy has their tails!

I ordered an valencia orange tree over the weekend from Stark Bros Nursury and it's due to arrive today here at work!
celebrate.gif
It will be the first tree of my indoor orchard, and I'm super excited about it! I hope to add meyer lemons, key limes, and a bay laurel tree in the future to my collection.
Wonderful! I have wanted to do that for so long. Unfortunately, cats believe any pot, box, or basket is a place to take a nap. They kill every plant I have indoors.

Trim up some chicken wire skirts for the tree. Gently wrap the trunk so that you can skirt the wire over the side of the pots that you are using. This keeps the cats out, can't get into the soil for potty stops or naps. Might look a bit tacky, but I am sure you could pretty it up if you needed.

I had this lovely rotten jerk of a cat who thought my pothos were nice for napping. I got smart and started putting green stakes in the plants. The pothos eventually snaked around them to hid them, but it sure made for a hard spot to try and lay down. Think cicles like a water drops in a pond... for placing the wood stakes/spikes. Best to do when actually planting or transplanting/rerooting so thta you don't kill the plant by busting the roots up to much by staking an already established plant.

Trim up some chicken wire skirts for the tree. Gently wrap the trunk so that you can skirt the wire over the side of the pots that you are using. This keeps the cats out, can't get into the soil for potty stops or naps. Might look a bit tacky, but I am sure you could pretty it up if you needed.

I had this lovely rotten jerk of a cat who thought my pothos were nice for napping. I got smart and started putting green stakes in the plants. The pothos eventually snaked around them to hid them, but it sure made for a hard spot to try and lay down. Think cicles like a water drops in a pond... for placing the wood stakes/spikes. Best to do when actually planting or transplanting/rerooting so thta you don't kill the plant by busting the roots up to much by staking an already established plant.

What a wonderful idea! I'm going to look this weekend for something to plant and try this. I may be able to have green things in the winter again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom