Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Listening to the forecast for the coming week isn't likely to brighten anyone's mood, yet we know that eventually we will be complaining about it being too hot. Weather is something we never seem to be content with, but just the fact that we are here to gripe about it is reason to celebrate. Life is precious and each day we are given is truly a gift. Perhaps the fact that so much of my current situation involves the elderly and the issues involved with aging, I find my self thankful for every day.

I too am considering firing up the incubator, but I am trying to force myself to wait until the weather is a little more conducive to keeping everything out in the coop. I will probably pickup a few black sex links from TSC but I need to hatch some Vorwerks and some Welsummers since both of those flocks are getting rather old. I'm think that if I wait until mid March before setting eggs the weather will finally be to a point that managing the brooding chicks will be much easier.

ME TOO!!!!
ep.gif
love.gif

Here's what I've been working on lately. The colors are for fun, just using up what I have on hand, but not what I would choose for chores. I dream of having my own sheep for spinning my own wool one day. Thank you all who stay on top of the RTF stuff.

Peep, the chickens you were eyeing look like my dot and silver.

They were from a splash Polish crossed with an Ameraucana. My DH says they look like fat pigeons.

Opa one thing I don't think I ever complain about is it getting too hot. Only three days in the past 4 years have I ever even considered it too hot (97) and then I either went to the beach or stood under a hose and all was well.

Peep, the chickens you were eyeing look like my dot and silver.

They were from a splash Polish crossed with an Ameraucana. My DH says they look like fat pigeons.

Opa one thing I don't think I ever complain about is it getting too hot. Only three days in the past 4 years have I ever even considered it too hot (97) and then I either went to the beach or stood under a hose and all was well.

So cute!!

Quote:Originally Posted by greyhatch you can buy/sell chickens, and potluck and eat! :)

Quote:Originally Posted by taprock I have not forgotten this breed either, still on my potential wish list. along with a growing fascination with "quecha fowl" (what ee's came from)

On Gaamps/ whatnot i won't be going this time around. I want to, but still don't have a solid argument. Stomping my foot isn't going to get anyone anywhere!
Of the things i can pinpoint :

*following gaamps with no assurance of protection:
the right to farm act states that it protects "livestock production facilities" that voluntarily follow gaamps. We are not a production facility, we are only facilities. So why include us at all then? I would like to see livestock facilities included in that statement, so at least the ones who are in the right place/ allowed by city/ township currently won' t lose their animals potentially.

*category 3 zoning issues
Also of note is that in category 1,2, and 3 you still need to be zoned ag. Many properties of significant acreage are not zoned ag, i think this needs to be dropped. It may be a good idea for large livestock facilities, but a couple horses in the country if you have acreage in the country should NOT be and issue. If their sole intent is to exclude chickens from cities they need to find a different way to define city and country, suburbs. Perhaps by using acreage itself as a ruler.

*Livestock/ pet question
I still don't see how a hen is different than a cockatoo. Rabbits are farm animals as defined in the list i can't find, but they are common pets. How is a hen different than a cockatoo? They look similar, and are both bird species. I would like to see indoor aviaries allowed. They can still set limits on how many, since most cities do this already for cats and dogs. Outdoor housing is the main complaint of the opposition. It's not a victory by most standards, but it would allow pets to remain. 2-3 hens could be penned in a 3x6 TSC coop with modifications to allow for the woodchips not to hit your floor. They could be brought out side providing the yard was fenced and you were there to supervise; or inside with a diaper.

you can buy/sell chickens, and potluck and eat! :)

I have not forgotten this breed either, still on my potential wish list. along with a growing fascination with "quecha fowl" (what ee's came from)

On Gaamps/ whatnot i won't be going this time around. I want to, but still don't have a solid argument. Stomping my foot isn't going to get anyone anywhere!
Of the things i can pinpoint :

*Livestock/ pet question
I still don't see how a hen is different than a cockatoo. Rabbits are farm animals as defined in the list i can't find, but they are common pets. How is a hen different than a cockatoo? They look similar, and are both bird species. I would like to see indoor aviaries allowed. They can still set limits on how many, since most cities do this already for cats and dogs. Outdoor housing is the main complaint of the opposition. It's not a victory by most standards, but it would allow pets to remain. 2-3 hens could be penned in a 3x6 TSC coop with modifications to allow for the woodchips not to hit your floor. They could be brought out side providing the yard was fenced and you were there to supervise; or inside with a diaper.
There are outside dogs...Some people do have Dog houses. And there are many outdoor cats...a lot of strays as well. Has anyone ever heard of a Feral Chicken? So what ever their argument on that front is, it doesn't really hold up. In my opinion dog poo adds up and smells as much as chickens. And cat urine is Awful. Have you ever had a stray male cat spray your shrubbery? So smell is not a good argument either.

I agree, stomping our feet won't help. I wish there was an answer. I couldn't even vote on it yet if it ever got that far.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom