Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

All, thank you very much for all the advice on the chicken mite issue.

Boy, I can sure see how we all love our babies! My plan is to use the pour on ivermectin. Tomorrow I will empty out the coop, scrub it, then spray it with poultry protector & dust it with garden & poultry dust. Normally I do deep litter, but I am just gonna put a small layer of pine shavings in & repeat the coop process in one week to try & catch egg hatches.
I understand that it is virtually impossible to catch everything; I have zillions of wild birds around, as we all do. But, based on a lot of your experience here in dealing with this, sounds like I'll be able to help the girls!

Must say, for these first 18 months of having birds I have had lots of luck; no predator kills, no sickness (well, except Spaz, who lived in the house thru the winter then just died one morning in May). Now in the last month, Rana was killed by a hawk, then a few days later these little buggers :(

Think I will hunt this morning. Didn't last night and of course the wind died down at 1830 & 5 beauties showed up. In fact, they are out there right now eating in the moonlight! 1 doe is off limits for me as she still has her little one (even though it is more than big enough to take care of itself). Also looks like my little one that lost its mother has gotten together with this group, though the other little one is picking on it :(

LAST, LAST question. Apply ivermectin on the BACK or BACK OF NECK of the bird??
(Have read conflicting (or most likely simply different methods) guidance). Of course making sure that I get in on the skin of the bird......

Last edited:
All, thank you very much for all the advice on the chicken mite issue.

Boy, I can sure see how we all love our babies! My plan is to use the pour on ivermectin. Tomorrow I will empty out the coop, scrub it, then spray it with poultry protector & dust it with garden & poultry dust. Normally I do deep litter, but I am just gonna put a small layer of pine shavings in & repeat the coop process in one week to try & catch egg hatches.
I understand that it is virtually impossible to catch everything; I have zillions of wild birds around, as we all do. But, based on a lot of your experience here in dealing with this, sounds like I'll be able to help the girls!

Must say, for these first 18 months of having birds I have had lots of luck; no predator kills, no sickness (well, except Spaz, who lived in the house thru the winter then just died one morning in May). Now in the last month, Rana was killed by a hawk, then a few days later these little buggers :(

Think I will hunt this morning. Didn't last night and of course the wind died down at 1830 & 5 beauties showed up. In fact, they are out there right now eating in the moonlight! 1 doe is off limits for me as she still has her little one (even though it is more than big enough to take care of itself). Also looks like my little one that lost its mother has gotten together with this group, though the other little one is picking on it :(

LAST, LAST question. Apply ivermectin on the BACK or BACK OF NECK of the bird??
(Have read conflicting (or most likely simply different methods) guidance). Of course making sure that I get in on the skin of the bird......

I have always done mine between the wings, closer to the base of the neck.

Last edited:
I find their neck and go to the bottom of it. I don't scrub my coop after. Just replace bedding and re-treat in 7 days. Poultry protecter did not kill them when hit directly with it. I'd get my money back on that one!

2/5 of my ladies are broody.
hmm.png
Their hormones sure have a weird calendar. We have another who is going through a rough molt. Add into the mix an EE who hasn't started laying yet and the decreasing sunlight, and our egg production is way down.

Sometimes when products are available for a long time and people are used to using them, it is easy to underestimate how toxic they can be. Poultry dusts and powders can contain some of the most toxic chemicals available over the counter. When dusted on birds and in coops, they can last for quite long periods of time and reexpose both your birds and you. Some toxins exert their negative effects over years, so minimizing your exposure should be a priority.

Go Tecumseh! My family moved there from the Detroit burbs bac in the 70's. And my daughter lived there for about 5 years until about 5 years ago. :thumbsup The more towns that revise their ordinances the more other towns will join in! Eventually towns will realize a few chickens aren't near as bad as they thought and even good for the community.

Pretty cool. Got to see two very awesome nature scenes in less than 24 hours.
Yesterday before sunset we had rain. As it moved east, it cleared in the west as the sun was setting, yet still raining. figured if looked to the east, would see a rainbow. I wasn't disappointed. In fact been trying to remember if I've ever seen a FULL rainbow vs. just one side. These pics don't do the colors justice ...& can actually see the beginnings of a double rainbow in the upper right of the one.

Then, this morn I had to drive someone to the airport. I was the passenger on the way there, looked out the window to the east & noted what looked like a lunar eclipse in progress. Googled on phone, & sure enough that's what was going on. Due to the timing of driving home from the airport I started heading west just as the full eclipse hit..so I was able to enjoy it for almost 30 miles looking thru my front windshield. Was still very pretty when I got home...& away from city lights.

Cool stuff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom