Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

While I don't believe animals think the same way we do, I do believe that they feel many if not most if the same emotions we feel. Just my observation after years of being around many critters.

And as far a being taken advantage of, everyone has their own way of spending their money. I don't think it is my place to criticize how others choose to use their disposable income. Better chickens in my book than gambling, drugs or many hobbies that are to me completely pointless - and expensive.

@tntchix
Glad the boys fit right in. Figured there wouldn't be a problem...they've probably been jonesing for some female attention after 2 weeks without :D

Travis is definitely the "alpha" rooster...I think they will treat your girls quite well...and I am SO happy you guys adopted them :D

I have to re-home my birds. I have a trio of LF English Orpingtons. 1 blue hen, one splash hen and a blue roo. The roo is good around the grandkids and other animals. He is good with the girls. I also have a chocolate bantam English Orpington roo. He just blends in with everybody. Really sweet little guy. They were all hatched 8/13 and they are free I just want a good home for them. These birds are very calm and would make good birds for a kid in 4-H
I have to disperse the rest of my flock, for health reasons I have to cut back. The rest of my girls are 2 - 4 years old so soup hens. They are free if you want them. A couple of BO's and 5 BA's.
I live in the Jackson area, but go to Lansing 3 times a week. If interested PM me.
Too bad you are not closer! I am falling madly in love with Orphingtons!

@tntchix
Glad the boys fit right in. Figured there wouldn't be a problem...they've probably been jonesing for some female attention after 2 weeks without
big_smile.png

Travis is definitely the "alpha" rooster...I think they will treat your girls quite well...and I am SO happy you guys adopted them
big_smile.png
I am too. It was so strange being able to just walk around in there today as if they weren't even there. Quite a difference from before.
Travis was making sure the girls all knew there were mealworms outside while I was getting eggs.
celebrate.gif

THANK YOU, VETERANS!
roll.png

--

West Michigan is expecting their first significant snowfall tomorrow (2"), so DH and I went out tonight to buy some supplies to winterize. This is our first winter with the girls, and I'm trying not to over/under prepare.

We bought a tin and are trying this method of keeping the water unfrozen. We don't really have the space to food and water in the coop, so we're leaving that under our deck (which they have access to). The coop sits next to our second-story deck, so we're laying down OSB on top of the deck (to create a roof) and then putting up plastic sheet-wrap around the underside of the deck to block the north winds (luckily, the house blocks the west winds; we're a mile off the lake, so its gets crazy!). Ordered some hay bales to lay against the wrapping and also to create pathways on the snow for the girls. Sticking a thermometer in tomorrow to see what we're at in the middle of the night. I'm just hoping they come out of the coop.
--

In other news, egg production has been top notch still even with only an hour of rope light from 6AM until I let them out of the coop!
ya.gif

THANK YOU, VETERANS!
roll.png

--

West Michigan is expecting their first significant snowfall tomorrow (2"), so DH and I went out tonight to buy some supplies to winterize. This is our first winter with the girls, and I'm trying not to over/under prepare.

We bought a tin and are trying this method of keeping the water unfrozen. We don't really have the space to food and water in the coop, so we're leaving that under our deck (which they have access to). The coop sits next to our second-story deck, so we're laying down OSB on top of the deck (to create a roof) and then putting up plastic sheet-wrap around the underside of the deck to block the north winds (luckily, the house blocks the west winds; we're a mile off the lake, so its gets crazy!). Ordered some hay bales to lay against the wrapping and also to create pathways on the snow for the girls. Sticking a thermometer in tomorrow to see what we're at in the middle of the night. I'm just hoping they come out of the coop.
--

In other news, egg production has been top notch still even with only an hour of rope light from 6AM until I let them out of the coop!
ya.gif
Yeah, I'm getting around to getting the hatches batten down for winter here as well. In fact I just started a thread talking about parking my tractor for the winter.
Quote: I do like that idea there for heating the water. I was just in TSC today looking at a deal that was like 45 bucks just to buy the heating unit, and then another 20 just to get a tin waterier to sit on the heating unit as I currently have a plastic one hanging up in the tractor.

I am testing my new incubator and trying to work out all the bugs before I start hatching my own eggs. Last hatch I had 42 eggs from two different suppliers. 15 out of 18 hatched from the first supplier (Special thanks to JackieandChicks) and only 9 out of 24 from the second supplier. I am ready for the next batch so I can try out a couple more things in order to increase my percentage of hatched eggs. Does anyone have fertile eggs they would sell at low cost? Can be mixed barnyard eggs, bantams or large fowl. I am in southwest Michigan near Kalamazoo. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am testing my new incubator and trying to work out all the bugs before I start hatching my own eggs. Last hatch I had 42 eggs from two different suppliers. 15 out of 18 hatched from the first supplier (Special thanks to JackieandChicks) and only 9 out of 24 from the second supplier. I am ready for the next batch so I can try out a couple more things in order to increase my percentage of hatched eggs. Does anyone have fertile eggs they would sell at low cost? Can be mixed barnyard eggs, bantams or large fowl. I am in southwest Michigan near Kalamazoo. Thanks!
Hahahaha! I always have high fertility rates...plenty of roos to make sure there are no gaps LOL!

Nobody really knows how an animal thinks, or feels. There are no "experts". We can observe them but how can we really know what lies within their being. Before I go further please understand this is my opinion only. I believe that any animal will do what it needs to survive be it a chicken, lion, or domesticated dog. It will eat you given the chance, and the need.

Like others I feel "to each their own" when it comes to how they go about their hobby, or livelihood, where animals are concerned.

Just don't fall down in the pig pen!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom