Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It's possible that they are a cross. Dominique chicks wouldn't typically have that much "spotchiness" to them. I'd almost be willing to bet some of them are crosses. Black does seem to be dominant over other colors too. So, the chipmunk stripes wouldn't necessarily show through.
They ARE crosses. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I have a Dark Cornish roo and 2 hens and 4 Dominique hens. The only purebred would be Dark Cornish and those chicks are marked like chipmunks. All these look like mottled Doms, so I know the moms were all Dominiques. I'm going to have to isolate my dc hens to ensure I only collect their eggs next time if I want some more purebreds. It will be interesting to see what these guys look like when they feather out.

It's possible that they are a cross. Dominique chicks wouldn't typically have that much "spotchiness" to them. I'd almost be willing to bet some of them are crosses. Black does seem to be dominant over other colors too. So, the chipmunk stripes wouldn't necessarily show through.

They ARE crosses. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I have a Dark Cornish roo and 2 hens and 4 Dominique hens. The only purebred would be Dark Cornish and those chicks are marked like chipmunks. All these look like mottled Doms, so I know the moms were all Dominiques. I'm going to have to isolate my dc hens to ensure I only collect their eggs next time if I want some more purebreds. It will be interesting to see what these guys look like when they feather out.

Oops. I thought you were upset because you thought you only got purebreds and you were hoping for crosses. My mistake. Cute chicks either way!

Oops. I thought you were upset because you thought you only got purebreds and you were hoping for crosses. My mistake. Cute chicks either way!
That's okay but what's great about this, is that DH TOTALLY understands that now I will HAVE to hatch some more eggs because my girls are at least 3 years old and I MUST get some fresh hens to keep up egg production.
yesss.gif
He wanted this hatch to be the only one.

I have a couple questions. I'm new to this site, and I'm looking for a couple answers, I live in the city if Jackson, Michigan & don't know what the limits are to having chickens. I could like to have a couple for eggs, Thanks in advance!

Yay Farmerboy and Gracie, a new chick! :weee

Hi Hoyt, welcome to the Michigan thread. Your best bet is to call your local government entity and find out if there are any restrictions. I would suggest calling anonymously, and try to speak to someone knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom