Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I need help on how/what to use for the flooring on my coop. We installed a sturdy floor or base for our coop but have read about rubber floors and linolium flooring. Also for the bedding of the coop, sand or wood chips?? We only have 2 ducks but are adding chicks at the end of the month.

I need help on how/what to use for the flooring on my coop. We installed a sturdy floor or base for our coop but have read about rubber floors and linolium flooring. Also for the bedding of the coop, sand or wood chips?? We only have 2 ducks but are adding chicks at the end of the month.
I would recommend vinyl for the floor and wood chips for the bedding

X2. One of our coops has vinyl flooring and it's the easiest to clean by far.

The ladies decided to help dh with framing the run for the coop he's making for his mom. Silly chickens.

I am so excited about how my early attempts at gardening are going this year. I have a bunch of stuff in milk jugs and dh built me a sort-of mini hoop house and EVERYTHING that I have planted so far has germinated.

Opa.....I know you trellis your tomatoes. Do you use the string method or do you train them up a trellis? I'm going to try trellising this year and and debating between methods. I have a few indeterminate types growing that should work well for trellising.

Thanks!! Now, isnt there a product i can mix with the wood chips to cut down smell? Heading to tscthis morning for more food for my ducks. What should i get them?they are eating chick starter still but are about 4-5 weeks old

We are also thinking linoleum for the floor. And including the bottom portion of a stand up shower with a drain for where the water dish will be (since ducks LOVE playing in the water & making a mess). Has anyone else tried this? Other options?

If anyone plans on housing ducks with chickens I would strongly suggest you don't keep a water play tub in the coop. The amount of moisture, plus the fact they splash most out, would be problematic. In fact, I would keep the ducks in a separate house altogether. They really only need a low "dog house" style structure that has a door you can close them in at night. They love to be out all day - all seasons. A small kiddie pool, or dug in garden pool, or whatever you use, is a great option that keeps the mess outside. Ducks use water sources to eliminate waste when available. Kiddie pools can be flipped over to drain. Small garden pools need to be pumped out (weekly) and refilled.

On the other hand - ducks do not require a water play tub, or any swimming source. It makes for happier ducks and harder working owners.

This is NOT my setup although it is very similar. These ducks would have no water source in the winter but would still survive just fine sitting in the snow all day counting the days until the pond thawed. You can bubble a pond to keep it open but that's a personal choice that may, or may not, work.

Congrats to Silly Chicken and her new herd of kids! That buckling with blue eyes will be a heart breaker!

Quote: X3.....I found a pretty heavy vinyl with the foam backing could take a bend without breaking(unlike the paper backed type).
Single sheet was a bear to install but works great, spills can only leak out at corners.
Poops don't stick too bad and can be washed with water, if necessary....tho the pine shavings dry things up so well I've never had to 'wash' it.
It can be slippery with the shavings on top, especially at first, but they get used to it...and it does generate some laughs for the keeper.
I lined the roost board with it also...after the pic below was taken..and use sand and Sweet PDZ (horse aisle at TSC) to cut down odor.

Last edited:

X2

If anyone plans on housing ducks with chickens I would strongly suggest you don't keep a water play tub in the coop.  The amount of moisture, plus the fact they splash most out, would be problematic.  In fact, I would keep the ducks in a separate house altogether.  .

X2

I was out mowing today with my new-to-me John Deere 111 tractor, and the blades stopped spinning. I have been looking at it today and it looks like the electric PTO clutch is shot. Yay 200 dollar part. I'm taking it apart now to see if it's rebuild-able.

I also got a call from the Mrs' sister. Apparently while her fiance was out kyaking today a baby duck swam to him in the river and jumped into his kyak. They looked around for the rest of the duckies and the mommy for about an hour and ended up bringing it home because they couldn't find anyone. Poor little thing. They aren't equip'd to handle it so it sounds like I may be getting a duckling. Hopefully I can help the little guy/gal out, it was sounding kinda tired over the phone. Time to play bio-security/quarantine.

I found out the a number of the electrical receptacles in the garage aren't quite right.... The hard way. After a couple "tickles" I grabbed my receptacle tester and found that the plug I was using had an open neutral on the top receptacle and an open hot some of the time on the bottom! I found another with reversed hot/neutral and finally found one that seems to test good. Welcome to the homestead lifestyle I suppose, crisis management :p

Back
Top Bottom