Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hi. I'm brand new to chickens. Will this coop be able to hold 3 hens and keep them ok over winter?

As long as you can park it somewhere where it will be out of the prevailing wind doing the winter, it should be ok. You might want to get some cheap shower curtains to help keep snow out and blocking the wind from most of the coop. Just remember to not seal it up all air tight, as you do want some air exchange there to ventilate the coop. Just take care with that coop if you're going to use it as a tractor. I'm guessing its store bought and they tend to fall apart if you're not careful with them.

Good evening all you Michiganders. New to BYC and this whole experience, in fact this is my first post and what better thread to start in than this one. I never thought I would be raising chickens when I was growing up in Lansing, but here I am 20 years later getting ready to purchase 6-8 pullets from Family Farm & Home tomorrow morning. I've been doing research for a few weeks to prep for this and make sure this is a commitment my wife and our 4 girls can handle. Free ranging chickens was our first thought, to help with the ticks and other creepy crawlies in the yard but we live on 10 acres in the woods and predators would be a huge issue. So the task of building a coop will be on the immediate honey-do list while these chicks are in the brooder. I've read that I should calculate roughly 2 sq/ft. per chicken for the coop and atleast 10sq/ft per for the run, does this sound correct?

I have many questions and as I keep digging on this great site I'm sure I'll find my answers, but I have a few specifically geared to our state. I'm sure they have been asked at nauseam within this thread but with over 3000 pages on this thread I'm at a loss. I've heard several arguments as far as insulating or not insulating a coop. 1 argument is pretty obvious while the other is that these animals are somewhat built to withstand cold temperatures. My issue is I don't know what "cold temperatures" means for each individual, so please help me fellow Michiganders. As I begin planning for this coop, should insulation be considered? I know ventilation is important, but is just "boarding" up for the winter sufficient? Also how many of you utilize fans and heaters for summer/winter?

Here's to the beginning of a new adventure and I'll see you guys on the other side!
Welcome to BYC and the MichThread.

Insulation is actually more beneficial to keep summer heat from overheating the coop than against winter cold, especially if coop is in full sun.
The last 2 winters were brutal and mine came thru just fine with no insulation on coop, but I am thinking of putting some up for summer.
Biggest issue in winter is keeping water thawed without sometimes hourly trips to coop with liquid water.

2 sqft per bird is more like commercial housing spacing, the rule of thumb at BYC 4 sqft coop, 10 sqft run......
......but IMO that's a bare minimum especially in the winter when they may not leave the coop for days at a time.
Go big, you won't regret it.

Think about winter access for the keepers: path to coop, doors to coop and run kept clear.
Most my chickens won't walk on snow more than 1/8" deep, I keep part of the run shoveled and throw just a bit of straw down pretty frequently to get them out walking.
I seriously wished I had put a solid roof on part of the run.

Hi Mittenchickens, welcome to BYC and the Michigan thread :)

Keep in mind that in inclement weather your birds may spend most of their time inside. Giving then more generous space will allow them more room to move around, offer lower-ranked birds room to get away from bullies, reduce the cohesion of waste products - the benifits go on. As aart says 4 square feet is the minimum I would recommend.

And ventilation is more important than insulation, which though is nice for summer heat, and helps reduce radient cold in the winter.

Hi Stacy :frow

I am going on quite an adventure this coming weekend. I haven't ventured below the Mackinac Bridge for about three years. I am going to pickup a Nigerian Dwarf goat buckling near Holland, Michigan. It will be a quick trip, down and back, no chance to stop for anything fun.
You are going to be in my neighborhood! If I had known, I would have met you LOL!

Welcome! I've got about five sq. ft. in my coop for each bird, and that includes many bantams. Build big! You won't regret space, and security for your birds from predators. This week my run is getting a complete makeover; it's now fully roofed, and will be completely hardware cloth and woven wire.
ya.gif
My birds free range, but a safe coop and run are essential. Mary

Welcome! I've got about five sq. ft. in my coop for each bird, and that includes many bantams. Build big! You won't regret space, and security for your birds from predators. This week my run is getting a complete makeover; it's now fully roofed, and will be completely hardware cloth and woven wire. My birds free range, but a safe coop and run are essential. Mary
<Green Eyed Smiley> So jealous!!

Pics?

Back
Top Bottom