Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well, mom has been doing a lot of baking, and my girls haven't been a whole lot of laying. Out of 8 ladies all we got today was one small egg from one of the Iowas. So I had to break down and buy some eggs from the store tonight. First we've needed to do that in about 14 months or so. Kinda wondering what's going on with that, as the girls laid just fine all of last year, but they didn't really molt last year either. This year it happened, and I've added lights to the coop set up this year. I just have two strings of tube LED lights on a timer that comes on in the morning. Right now the lights are coming on at 4:45 right now and go off a little after sunrise. Wondering if I'm just not giving them enough light hours or its something else, like the little glow lights from my plugs that are messing my girls up.

My lights come on at 3am, so about 14-15 hours of light...are much brighter...and still the yearlings are not all laying.
Tho 2 did start back up in this last week.

It's not been my experience for deer to return to the location where they were hurt. Most of the time they will go off in a circular direction, and often head toward water. Mine generally don't make it that far. I've never had one return to where they were shot.

Last edited:
I put in a light sensor that turns the light on at dusk and it's timed to go off after 5 hours. I'm getting more eggs than earlier, but very few due to the hens age, they are 5-6 yrs old

Keep in mind that any scientific study on the length of light needed for chickens to produce eggs was geared towards battery hens NOT the backyard flocks that most of us have. Keep in mind that factory hens are bred for the purpose of laying eggs and will do so from POL for 12 - 18 months. They will never get old enough to moult. That moult takes a lot out of a hen and she needs the food energy to replace feathers more than lay eggs of us.
Another factor -- and one that I can find NO studies on -- is the quality of food forage as we move to the winter season. In addition to lessening light, the hens are finding fewer greens to eat, fewer insects, fewer worms, etc. I figure it is more likely a combination of things going on than a simple matter of light.

So if you really want eggs year-round, your best bet is to raise chicks 3 - 4 times a year so you always have some at POL as the seasons change. I'm going to let my hens free-load for now but come Chick Days...I'm there!

It may be easier on the birds to have light come on earlier in the morning, as if you leave it on in the evening they experience sudden and total darkness, making it harder to transition to roosting as a gradual twilight allows.

You do need a fairly bright light, the led's may not provide enough.

I can see the reasoning in that.......... I have a 100W equivalent led light, and the coop walls are painted white inside, so it's pretty bright in there. I do get more eggs when the lights are on longer.

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT

Michigan Poultry Exhibition and Swap Meet Ban Lifted
For immediate release: December 23, 2015
Media contact: Jennifer Holton, 517-284-5724

LANSING – Today, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development lifted the statewide ban on poultry exhibitions. MDARD implemented the ban as a precautionary measure in June 2015 in response to the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza outbreak happening across the U.S.
MDARD evaluated the disease risk and current national status and decided it’s appropriate to lift the ban on poultry exhibitions. MDARD continues to monitor the national HPAI situation and may reinstate the poultry exhibition ban if the disease re-emerges. Although not limited to the following situations, these are some specific situations in which MDARD would consider reinstating the ban:
1. Detection of HPAI in a wild bird in the Mississippi flyway.
2. Detection of HPAI in domestic flocks in states surrounding Michigan or nearby areas of Canada.
3. Cases of HPAI in wild or domestic birds in other flyways, if the cases appear to be spreading.
The ban prevented the commingling of birds from different locations, including exhibitions, swap meets, petting zoos at fairs, game bird and waterfowl fair displays, and Miracle of Life exhibits. MDARD partnered with Michigan State University Extension 4-H, Michigan Association of Fairs and Exhibitions, and other partners to inform youth of the announcement and identify ways to engage Michigan’s youth poultry exhibitors and allow them to showcase their knowledge and experience.
“I would like to thank MSU Extension and our youth leaders who created a meaningful educational experience out of an unfortunate situation,” said Dr. James Averill, MDARD’s State Veterinarian. “Their partnership was invaluable in protecting all of Michigan’s poultry flocks statewide from this devastating disease.”
Concern for the possibility of a return of HPAI in the U.S still remains. Generally, heightened findings of influenza viruses in wild birds will begin in winter and go through spring as birds comingle and migrate south, and cold weather helps keep the virus alive. The last case of HPAI in domestic birds was documented in June; however, the domestic population is always at risk of influenza infection from wild waterfowl which may spread the virus in their droppings. MDARD continues to encourage poultry owners to practice proper biosecurity and contact their local veterinarian if they have sick birds. However, if a flock is experiencing severe illness or multiple death losses, contact MDARD at 800-292-3939 or for after-hours emergencies call 517-373-0440.

MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT

Michigan Poultry Exhibition and Swap Meet Ban Lifted
For immediate release: December 23, 2015
Media contact: Jennifer Holton, 517-284-5724

LANSING – Today, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development lifted the statewide ban on poultry exhibitions. MDARD implemented the ban as a precautionary measure in June 2015 in response to the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza outbreak happening across the U.S.
MDARD evaluated the disease risk and current national status and decided it’s appropriate to lift the ban on poultry exhibitions. MDARD continues to monitor the national HPAI situation and may reinstate the poultry exhibition ban if the disease re-emerges. Although not limited to the following situations, these are some specific situations in which MDARD would consider reinstating the ban:
1. Detection of HPAI in a wild bird in the Mississippi flyway.
2. Detection of HPAI in domestic flocks in states surrounding Michigan or nearby areas of Canada.
3. Cases of HPAI in wild or domestic birds in other flyways, if the cases appear to be spreading.
The ban prevented the commingling of birds from different locations, including exhibitions, swap meets, petting zoos at fairs, game bird and waterfowl fair displays, and Miracle of Life exhibits. MDARD partnered with Michigan State University Extension 4-H, Michigan Association of Fairs and Exhibitions, and other partners to inform youth of the announcement and identify ways to engage Michigan’s youth poultry exhibitors and allow them to showcase their knowledge and experience.
“I would like to thank MSU Extension and our youth leaders who created a meaningful educational experience out of an unfortunate situation,” said Dr. James Averill, MDARD’s State Veterinarian. “Their partnership was invaluable in protecting all of Michigan’s poultry flocks statewide from this devastating disease.”
Concern for the possibility of a return of HPAI in the U.S still remains. Generally, heightened findings of influenza viruses in wild birds will begin in winter and go through spring as birds comingle and migrate south, and cold weather helps keep the virus alive. The last case of HPAI in domestic birds was documented in June; however, the domestic population is always at risk of influenza infection from wild waterfowl which may spread the virus in their droppings. MDARD continues to encourage poultry owners to practice proper biosecurity and contact their local veterinarian if they have sick birds. However, if a flock is experiencing severe illness or multiple death losses, contact MDARD at 800-292-3939 or for after-hours emergencies call 517-373-0440.
The only case in Michigan was found in Canada geese in Macomb County. Reports varied from 1 to 3 animals affected.

This is good news. We should have no reason to suspend Chicken Stock 2016.

Back
Top Bottom