Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

or do you mix your own grains in to string it along?
I will probably do this this winter, free feed both corn and gamebird pellets which have a very high protein content. If you are going to "string it along" you need to make sure that at least the protein needs are still being met! The high carbs of the corn to help stay warm, keep weight on :) Our corn is up to $11 a 50#, and gamebird pellets here are $15 a bag, Prince brand? My birds like it and it's actually cheaper than "flock raiser" in the same brand which has lower protein? Idk why. I also offer calcium free choice (oyster shell)

I am very open to suggestions when those suggestions are for the benefit of my birds. That is a good idea, and wouldn't cost but 20 bucks to do. I was already going to put in a center post that I could also attach a few 2x4's to for the birds to roost. Instead, I'll get a a 4x4 the length I need and go to the roof instead of the 5 feet up like the rest of the run. I'd make it a lot easier to attach 2 2x4x10s to the top of that and run the length of the run.

If you're concerned about cost, try going to lowes or HD to see if they have some slightly warped lumber, you can generally get it 10% off or more if it's ugly.

Last edited:
Here is a link to make your own water heater. I used these last year in all of my coops and they work great. I plugged them into a thermo cube so they would not stay on all the time, only when the temps got to freezing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/107951/cookie-tin-water-heater
Okay... so I bought the tin... Do you believe that a ceramic light socket would be better suited to use or does it not get hot enought to melt the socket?
I still need to get the Thermo Cube so it will turn on/off at certain temps and a metal waterer/dish that I like.

I'm trying to figure maintenance costs for a small flock of chickens, perhaps around 25-30 DP LF (eat the cockerels, let the pullets lay), and I'm wondering if anyone minds sharing their feeding costs with me. I'm curious where I should purchase grains and feed and how much I should expect to pay per chicken per day/week/month. Since I don't yet know where I will be when I purchase my first flock, lets assume that they get their coop and an attached run, but not free ranging.
I got most of my flock for free from friends on here and teachers that hatched eggs in the classrooms...
I did, however, purchase a dozen eggs to hatch in a classroom and only had one hatch... so I have one $17 bird
roll.png

8/12 were roosters...

Anyway, I have a flock of 8 now that are all this years chicks.
I have bought 4- 50# bags of feed for $15 and 2- 25# bags of cracked corn... during the summer when they were out in the run and free ranging, they barely ate any of the feed.
I don't fill my feeders all the way because I don't want any of the feed to get moldy. I "fill" them once a week or so.
The feeders get locked up at night in the enclosed run so no animals can get into it.
I know many of you good folks will continue to pray and wish him/us well. The support I have had from so many of you here through PMs and postings has truly touched my heart and has meant so much to me. Without even knowing what your faces look like or your true names, you have become a source of support and strength for me.
hugs.gif
fl.gif
Good luck!!!
I hope he recovers quickly!

Okay... so I bought the tin... Do you believe that a ceramic light socket would be better suited to use or does it not get hot enought to melt the socket?
I still need to get the Thermo Cube so it will turn on/off at certain temps and a metal waterer/dish that I like.
I used the ceramic ones. They were actually the brooder lamps. I felt they would be a bit safer. I also used popcorn tins. Real easy to make, if I can do it anyone can
wink.png

I found the thermo cubes at Menards where they have the heat tape.
My sister shared this with me on FB, so I will share on here-

Proud of it!
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
Love it!!

Mutt, the babies are sweet!!

I used the ceramic ones. They were actually the brooder lamps. I felt they would be a bit safer. I also used popcorn tins. Real easy to make, if I can do it anyone can
wink.png

I found the thermo cubes at Menards where they have the heat tape.
That is what I was going to use. i found them at HD for $12-13
Does it get too warm for a plastic waterer?

DH has surgery today to put the plates and screws into his crushed leg and will be in the hospital for a few days at least. He's very much looking forward to having the external fixator off/out as it is very restrictive to any movement. His leg is still swollen, but the surgeon said they can't wait any longer. There is concern that the skin will not hold up and essentially fall apart because it has been so swollen for so long (since Oct 15). If so, they will have a plastic surgeon put in a flap of skin over the area. This will cause an additional risk of infection, along with the fracture blisters, which are healing, but very big and nasty on both sides of the leg. The surgeon said, " We will do the best we can with it, but it will never be good." DH has two very good orthopedic surgeons who will be performing the surgery today, and I know they will do the best that they can, but with a crushing leg injury, you can only expect so much healing. It will still be another 2 months (if all goes well today) before he can put ANY weight on this leg.
Hope the surgery goes well and that he recovers better than expected.

Stella, my molting hen from Stacykins, has started laying again. I thought it might have been her, but actually caught her in the act yesterday morning. This was the second beautiful egg from her.

Theron, glad to hear the duck is alright. Scary. I'm glad I haven't had that experience yet.

The hoop top looks great. And very impressive that you did it on your own. PVC can have a mind of it's own when you ask it to bend. Have you had any winds yet? Just wondering how it reacted...

DH has surgery today to put the plates and screws into his crushed leg and will be in the hospital for a few days at least. He's very much looking forward to having the external fixator off/out as it is very restrictive to any movement. His leg is still swollen, but the surgeon said they can't wait any longer. There is concern that the skin will not hold up and essentially fall apart because it has been so swollen for so long (since Oct 15). If so, they will have a plastic surgeon put in a flap of skin over the area. This will cause an additional risk of infection, along with the fracture blisters, which are healing, but very big and nasty on both sides of the leg. The surgeon said, " We will do the best we can with it, but it will never be good." DH has two very good orthopedic surgeons who will be performing the surgery today, and I know they will do the best that they can, but with a crushing leg injury, you can only expect so much healing. It will still be another 2 months (if all goes well today) before he can put ANY weight on this leg.

I know many of you good folks will continue to pray and wish him/us well. The support I have had from so many of you here through PMs and postings has truly touched my heart and has meant so much to me. Without even knowing what your faces look like or your true names, you have become a source of support and strength for me.
hugs.gif

I hope everything went well with today's surgery! Hopefully the swelling comes down after this surgery, and that everything heals up with no infection!

Does Stella look a lot better now that her feathers are filling in? She looked so pitiful during her molt, since she lost SO many at one time!

No, I am not worried on the cost at all! The suggestion you make, and I know the cost of the lumber at lowes, it'll run about 20 bucks to make the top beam, the support to the ground and then several roosting posts off that center support using 2x4 brackets. BUT! i did see yesterday when I was in there that they have an isle of not so pretty wood marked down. Since I will be in the market... LOL.

The most expensive bird I have ever had was a RIR cockerel... He was a good tasting dinner too. LOL

Back
Top Bottom