Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

and wouldn't you know, right about the time it got warm and the snow got heavy!
IKR!? It was kinda drizzling here at 34°.

We got another 3-4" overnight and it's supposed to continue all day with another 3-6".
I usually wait to clear driveway until storm is over, not this time, am gonna have to get out there in the wind before it gets much colder and the snow gets any deeper. There's at least 10" on drive with deeper drifts....hope the little beast stays in working order :fl

Some of my muscovies were flying away yesterday afternoon when it got just above freezing! They've never flown off the property before. They all got back home except for one. Neighbor called this morning and she's over there perched on a fence.

Went & bought a remote thermometer this morning. Road conditions are awful, but I feel better knowing what is going on in the coop. 9* outside & 14* in the coop. They didn't seem too interested in treats, but were huddled together in a corner. A little worried about tonight when it gets down to -6*, but will give them oatmeal and corn before bed.

Is there a good level of humidity to have in the coop? Mine was 43% and that feels high. The remote is over the water dish, technically, so I don't even know how accurate this $25 thing is. All the chickens came & greeted me when I installed it, so I'm just praying Mother Nature is gentle on my sweet chickens.

but I feel better knowing what is going on in the coop.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't....my remote weather station died so now I just don't know until I go out there.

Hygrometers are pretty easy to test for accuracy, scroll down in this article to see how:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
Just make a note, I write it right on the device, of any difference to 'adjust' your readings.

It can't be any less humid in the coop than it is outside, so measuring both is a good thing to do. With decent ventilation, they should be about the same %.

Just keep an eye on combs and toes... that will tell you for sure if you have a problem. If the tips of the combs are discolored, grey, white or black, there is too much moisture.

Since I have a small coop, I keep my water out side the coop in a plastic dog house. Unfortunately yes they have to come outside to get water, but it does keep humidity down.

Does anyone have any Elderberrys growing on their property? I would like to get some cuttings.

...of all days to get a broken glass pane on the coop...........I'll nail a piece of plywood up when I get home and pull the window out to repair. I put a plastic bag over it to keep wind out of the coop for now..

I didn't find out till I got to work, that I could have stayed home. But, I'm the facility manager, so I really should be on site today to make sure the folks that did come in are warm and have coffee!

I hope you guys are all safe n warm too!

Back
Top Bottom