Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I know how that feels. If my tractor did not have a snowblower it would be way worse. This is what the snowbanks down at the office look like after we had a front end loader knock them back. We've had another another 8 inches of snow since then.
IMG_20190130_202915.jpg

yes it was blowin.... and to top it off... did ya'll get the emergency alert from Consumers last night? They had a compressor station in Macomb co burn up....and here I was just saying it was nice to have Nat. gas for heat! LOL! We knew about it before it hit the news, we have an "in" person at consumers that told us about it. Also found out they are having trouble getting enough gas up to MI because lower states are also using more gas and they can't get enough pressure in the compressors to push the gas. They are tapping the reserve tanks.

in other non chicken news... I made an algae scrubber for my seahorse tank last night. Cost me about $90.00 vs $250-300 to buy one. I hope it works out.

Attachments

• 51043352_10211447961988594_3162890225458348032_n.jpg
    51043352_10211447961988594_3162890225458348032_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Our temp has been steady at 0 the past day, the windchill however... The birds have been locked up the past three days and everyone is fine. The plastic waterers have not faired as well. I did lose a Polish rooster last week after the -24* night. I’m not sure if he fell in the water or what because he had chunks of ice on him.

I haven’t seen much of hubby, he plows for the county. He is borrowing a loader from the neighbor to push back our banks before the rain arrives. I guess I will be cleaning coops this weekend because the humidity and moisture is going to be super high.

And then we have our crazy pigeons who can predict storms with their hatch dates. Always the worst weather.
D1C47749-54CC-481C-8A71-4346673CFC4F.jpeg

I got that gas alert on my phone last night. I've never been a customer of theirs and they wanted a "confirmation" reply from my phone. I finally turned the phone off to shut it up.
From the news, the gas company wanted people tpo adjust their thermostats to 65 degrees.
I'm not RAISING my setting by 5 degrees.

I've seen several social media stories from furnace experts claiming that furnaces are not designed for cold weather. So what do people in the UP, Canada and Alaska use?

My crazy dogs keep wanting to go out and play. The pup loves to plow through the deep snow and leap the banks. The old girl just barks at him because she can't run like that anymore.

Off to check the chickens and wait for the propane truck.

I've seen several social media stories from furnace experts claiming that furnaces are not designed for cold weather. So what do people in the UP, Canada and Alaska use?
I saw that too, didn't make a lick of sense....
...but the clearing of the exhaust and intake was good info, wonder how many have not a clue about that.
Saw the alert on TV and FB...no cell phone here...mine's already lower than that too.

I made an algae scrubber for my seahorse tank last night
Is that a special filter of some sort...thinking maybe UV?

Algae scrubber.png

It basically creates an environment for algae to grow. The bubbles create oxygen rich environment and creates water flow over a screen for the algae to grow on. The light is red and blue spectrum light that encourages plant growth.

Back
Top Bottom