Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

These past few sunny days have been wonderful but we’re still buried in snow up here. Our piles in the yard are as tall as the house. The birds are doing ok but every thing else is breaking and falling apart now. One pop door was iced up and I gave it a kick only to snap it in half. I’m starting to worry a bit as I have 10 goslings arriving in under a month. All my grow out coops are buried in snow. The best idea I can come up with is a rubber made tote in the basement, which I hate to even think of. Has anyone found something that would work better?

The best idea I can come up with is a rubber made tote in the basement, which I hate to even think of. Has anyone found something that would work better?
Would have to be darn big tote to hold 10 goslings for long.
Kiddie pool?
The best idea I've seen for fast and 'easy' brooder space is to get large moving boxes(Uhaul or Lowes) and cobble them together.
I used a refrigerator box once, lined it in plastic. Was lucky to find that box, couldn't find another the next year...but wardrobe boxes from uhaul are about the same size.
upload_2019-3-6_8-28-15.png

10 goslings would grow out of totes really fast, I would think. I used a large dog crate for my chicks, but they grew out of that pretty quick. How about dog pens. The kind they sell in pet shops. The hexagon ones. I have three of these and they sure do come in handy with the chickens. I piece of vinyl flooring underneath and newspapers on top of that for quick cleaning. Not ideal to have them in the basement, but with this weather, not much else you can do.
So freakin cold out there!

I make all my brooders out of plastic lined appliance boxes. The local True Value store sells appliances, and will give me a box any time. This is about a washer size box, refrigerator boxes are bigger:

83951_2011-04-09_15-28-15_354.jpg

I line the bottom and up the sides with 3 or 4 mil plastic. They work great, and at the end of use can be burned.

Back
Top Bottom