Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    great on the wazine... that's what I've been using... lol!

The infested hen is still alive but also very bloated, not sure if also egg bound. Going to work on her tonight. Right now shes in a kennel in the garage, resting.

All my eggs in the bators - just a few days out from hatching, found them both unplugged. plugged back in and will check for life tonight. UGH I'm about ready to give up!

1muttsfan likes this.
  2. ijon

ijon Songster

Jan 11, 2012
    I have them in a plastic tub. You put in oatmeal for them. Then use carrots and potatoes for their liquid.

Jbum likes this.
  3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    My plan is to get the other coop set up, give the birds a water bath with pyrethrin in it to really get good coverage on the birds. Then clean and spray down the coop. I will either dust, dip or spray the birds and coop every 7 days for 3 treatments. Thanks for the help guys.

Pyrethrins come from chrysanthemum... maybe I'll plant some of those around too! lol!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Candy442 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've found that compromised birds have more infestation.....belly bloat(ascites) may indicate organ failure or disease.

:barnie

1muttsfan and Leahs Mom like this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Fenbendazole is okay for chickens with no egg withdrawal, and covers more than just roundworms. Piprazine is Wazine, no longer approved, and less effective anyway.
    Roundworms aren't a likely cause of ascites though.
    Mary

Sue Gremlin likes this.
  6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    Fenbendazole is my dewormer of choice. Depending on the dose, it will kill pretty much everything, including tapeworms.

7. wcbpolish

wcbpolish Songster

Feb 16, 2017
    Pierson, Michigan
    I raise them but I don't feed them to the chickens. I also raise dubia (a type of tropical roach) and I know that they are used as chicken feed by some. Why do I have them... I sell them to folks who feed them to reptiles. I keep meaning to amp up production, but I never get around to it. Easy to raise. I don't raise mine in the conventional way... but I also don't maximize output.

Sue Gremlin likes this.
  8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I've used Valbazen (Albendazole) liquid - Kills pretty much all the internal parasites of concern in chickens, including tapeworms. Kills worms over several days, reducing the risk of worm impactions.
    Small birds should get 1/2 cc, large birds 1 cc; repeat in 10 days.
    Discard eggs for 10 days after treatment.

Or what Dawg53 recommends - quoted here from anther thread
    "I recommend the equimax (Ivermectin and Praziquantel equine dewormer), it's easier to administer and only twice. Valbazen is effective but requires multiple dosings at higher doses and withholding feed (for tapeworms.)
    I recommend withholding feed for 24 hours prior to worming when dealing with tapeworms anyway; no matter if it's equimax, z-gold or valbazen. Withholding feed for 24 hours makes the wormer more effective as the worms will be starving. Feed the hungry rascals equimax lol.
    After worming, wait 4 to 5 hours before feeding your chickens. The chickens will be starving also. Only feed them a little at a time. If you dont, they will gorge on their feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard. Gradually increase their feed as the day goes by back to normal feeding.
    Always worm your birds first thing in the mornings. I like to snatch them off the roost one at a time just before or right at sunrise and worm each one individually, then release them into the pen. I dont let them free range until later in the afternoon (remember the gorging issue.)"

Another thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-my-chickens-have-worms.1236799/

Dose is 0.03 cc per pound or 0.16 cc per 5# of weight. 14 day withholding for eggs.

I have not personally withhold feed for 24 hours, but it sounds like a good idea if you are treating tapeworms. Sounds like both work better for tapes if you withhold food, then repeat dosing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Fecal exams are much more accurate if you either centrifuge the sample after mixing with a flotation solution, or use a device to macerate the feces with the liquid, then allow the eggs to float up to the top of the device. Simply viewing a fecal smear will miss many parasite infestations.

Folly's place and Sue Gremlin like this.
  10. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    011D16F8-D48C-4DA5-A9EE-F9D598F4BAAF.jpeg Hi ijon
    I have a mealworm farm. Super simple. I started with about 3500 worms. My chickens get none, although they would love it. They would wipe it out. The hedgehog gets a few and the rest are for rehabbing wild birds. Each drawer is a different stage of development, although several for different size worms. The top has screen on the bottom so the eggs and newly hatched worms drop through, otherwise the beetles will eat them. I prefer the oatmeal as well. No smell, it’s in the family room.:)

If anyone hears anout a heritage Tom turkey that’s not too far south... our hen (now an only) keeps trying to run off with the wild boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: